Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2023, 08:12   #1

Alex Smith RIP

Alex Smith, Goalkeeper in our last season in the Football League in 1962 has died at the age of 85. I also believe he made the odd appearance for us after the club reformed.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2023, 11:32   #2
God Member

Re: Alex Smith RIP

Condolences to his family.
Interesting, but sad, that he played in all Stanley’s games in the dreaded 1961–62 season but all their results were expunged after the resignation and Alex Smith is not recognised as having played any league games for Stanley.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 11:41   #3
Full Member+

Our thoughts are with his family at this sad time.
I remember his name and I must have seen him play but I can't remember anything else about him but it seems unfair that he will not be recognised as not having played any league games for the Stanley.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:28   #4
God Member

No giant keepers in those days….
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1378.jpeg (676.8 KB, 9 views)
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:01   #5
Senior Member+

R.I.P. Alex, condolences to your family. An excellent goalkeeper for Stanly, I remember he was the first goalkeeper to play as a defender, he would stand on the 18 yard line when Stanley were attacking, playing as an extra center half or "sweeper". No matter what the "records" say he was a great player for Stanley playing all 33 league games in the final season.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..