Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2007, 22:39   #1
God Member

Anecdotes

Have any of you got some amusing stories to tell about previous seasons? about ex-players?

There is a possibilty of a book coming together that would feature full colour photographs of ex-players and match action from the last 10 years or so. The book would be along the lines of a pictorial history of Stanleys final push out of non-league.

Please feel free to post them on here but if you wish to elaborate slightly more for possible publication purposes then PM me and we can arrange to get it from you. If a group of you go to games and some of those guys aren't online or dont use this forum then please tell them. The book will be by the fans for the fans.

Some of my memories would be:

the viking invasion of Buxton
the subsequent arrest (innocent honest) of an OSC committee member
the John Russell bin incident at Stalybridge (I've bin binned)
fat bloke bar steward in Matlock portacabin clubhouse
the scoreboard at Bradford Park Avenue
Boston showers plainly visible from the coach. Aww, poor little Bazza!
cricket pitch invasion at Guiseley, same game but dinner time in a sleepy village pub and three coach loads of Stanley turn up - Maureen, MAUREEN, get down here, t'lads are thirsty!
TCs' back alley at Marine, which one was it?

etc etc etc
Old 23-02-2007, 20:54   #2

Re: Anecdotes

I remember going to irlam Town in early late 80s early 90s and to this day is the crapest ground I have ever been on. They had one bus-stop like whinney hill, only the roof had caved in and was touching the ground. It was lashing down, no food or drink vendors - it makes crown/interlink/fes look like san siro. I think we won 2-1. Great Times
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 20:56   #3
God Member

Was Irlam the ground that literally had a shed as the club shop? Late 80's would be the last time I went there as well
Old 23-02-2007, 21:40   #4
God Member

at huddersfield game' bent down to pick up a hot chocolate off the little wall next to cowshed when ball was coming at me and i never noticed and hit a guy behind me live on sky tv
Old 23-02-2007, 22:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Was Irlam the ground that literally had a shed as the club shop? Late 80's would be the last time I went there as well
I know it was the worst i have seen and that includes Blackpool wren rovers. I dont think irlam exist as a football team anymore.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 08:46   #6

What about the time we went to chorley and the game was frozen off so the russ buss was forced to do a Uey(u turn) and off to great harwood RIP we went, if i remember correctly they were playing congleton and we doubled the crowd, ate them out of pies(in about 15mins) and went on to chant for the visitors in the (not so)grand stand.

How the game was played was beyond me, there were huge puddles of standing water and the pitch was like a ploughed field!

Oh the beauties of lower league football
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 09:41   #7

Another one i remember was at frickley...what a dump that one was, a very poor ground directly facing an enormous slag heap!

Two other things iI remember about the place was 1, Arthur scarghill campaigning on the streets that day and 2, the pub we went into prior to the game...it was a boarded-up middle of the council easate type and were the boards were painted black, on them was WE ARE OPEN. Each letter scrolled was in white gloss with paint runns all over!

What a day that was, we got hammered either 4-0 or 4-1 and i remember in the two-teir portacabbin clubhouse after the game eric(chairman) blowing his top with a frickley player(or two). It was a bit more than handbags but not quite a free for all!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 13:59   #8

Smile Re: Anecdotes

I will never forget Plum and his now infamous brown sauce trick at Horwich away - talk about a slanting pitch...

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 17:00   #9
Senior Member+

I remember going to Newtown (Wales) on the team coach, in the days when fans travelled with the team (there were only a few of us).
On the way back the coach stopped at an off-licence and everyone piled off to stock up on drinks. When the players got back on the coach they had a alot more stuff than they'd paid for and Steve Blake (midfield) had a box of glasses under his arm.

The coach left in the midst of chaos and John Alty shouting, "Who sanctioned that stop????"

What a disgrace!
Old 24-02-2007, 17:11   #10

Les Chadwick got banned from the coach (one of about five times) for "sanctioning" the stop.
Paper Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 17:19   #11
Senior Member+

I've remembered another one. Travelling back from....ummmmm..... can't remember, but we were on the M62 and on the team coach again. The coach broke down and it was going to be ages before a replacement turned up. So Grimmy, Paul Beck, John Alty and Mal Clay jumped a taxi back to Accrington.
They sent a box of beers back to the coach for all of us stuck on the hard shoulder and Mal forgot a bottle of whisky he'd won, so that went too!!

Good day out!
Old 24-02-2007, 17:19   #12

I also recall a game at Newtown where the driver said he wasn't going to stop at an off licence on the way home (probably because we were barred) so Gus Wilson and Steve Curley had a collection from the players on the coach and asked me to buy as much beer as possible with it on my way to the ground.

After I left the last pub on the crawl (great days!) I went to the off licence on the high street and handed over my cash for the 60-70 cans. The girl in the shop put them into a bin bag. I slung the bulging bag over my shoulder and set off for the ground, but as I crossed the high street at the height of the Saturday shopping rush, the bag split and cans rolled all over the road. The whole of Newtown ground to a halt while an inebriated and slightly embarrassed Stanley fan staggered around the road collecting all the ale.

The players will never know what I went through to get them ****ed on the coach that night.
Paper Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 17:21   #13
Senior Member+

Hehehehe! I might be wrong, but you wasn't embarrassed at one point this afternoon were you Paper Boy?
Old 24-02-2007, 17:26   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo T Hornblower View Post
I will never forget Plum and his now infamous brown sauce trick at Horwich away - talk about a slanting pitch...

Jimbo T blower
nice one Jimbo, I remember that one too!

I bet that keeper will never wipe his face on a towel again bout checking it!
Old 24-02-2007, 21:12   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
Another one i remember was at frickley...what a dump that one was, a very poor ground directly facing an enormous slag heap!
the pub we went into prior to the game...it was a boarded-up middle of the council estate .........
Great thread, " to the Regiment , I wish I was there."

And these league 2 supporters slag us off, ground etc. they've never lived.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..