Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 4 Post By Lost in Cornwall
  • 3 Post By Exile on Spencer St

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2024, 11:04   #1
God Member

Exclamation Another nail.........

F.A. Cup replays have gone - other than round 1 - for next season (i.e. forever) as a part of a new agreement..........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68844583

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2024, 14:53   #2
God Member

Re: Another nail.........

Yet again, sporting tradition and heritage of 722 clubs being over-ridden, with obvious financial disbenefits to the minnows, purely for the financial benefit of seven ‘global’ teams in the Prawn Sandwich League.
keep the faith and pifco like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 07:08   #3

I'm actually starting to think that a European Super League might not be a bad idea. Just let all the prima donnas go and play with themselves and let te rest of us get on with some decent football. I suppose finance is the reason why we can't let it happen but I'm fed up with nobody caring what happens beyond the oh so boring Premier League.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2024, 07:46   #4
God Member

Given what’s said on the Fishy site about the total lack of consultation, I’d support all the EFL and National League teams agreeing to boycott the FA cup unless this nonsense is changed.
At the very least the FA should have reintroduced the ability of the ‘home’ team being able to switch the match to the ‘away’ club’s ground so, when ‘minnows draw a big club, they can at least benefit from the takings from a bigger crowd.

https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/...irates-fa-cup/
Greger, keep the faith and pifco like this.
Old 19-04-2024, 09:06   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

more rubbish from money people in my view.
Old 19-04-2024, 14:41   #6
Full Member+

I agree Cornwall it does appear that the measures being taken will ease the pressure on the Premier League clubs for their domestic Cup fixtures and allow more time for their European matches. There was an article in the newspaper a week or two ago by a Spanish (I think) sports journalist and he was pointing out that the European Super League was not "dead in the water" as many people thought it was.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 01:42   #7
Full Member+

Replays are the last thing most fans want, 1,100 at our last replay v Doncaster.

It is additional costs at short notice.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 08:08   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Replays are the last thing most fans want, 1,100 at our last replay v Doncaster.

It is additional costs at short notice.
If you think the FA Cup is only about money, why do all those hundreds of non-league teams spend their time, energy and money competing up and down the country, with little realistic prospect of a financial return?

But, if it is only about money, I think you’re looking through the wrong end of the telescope.
It’s the chance for clubs like Stanley of replays in the third round away to one of the big clubs, with a share of the gate.
Old 21-04-2024, 12:25   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
If you think the FA Cup is only about money, why do all those hundreds of non-league teams spend their time, energy and money competing up and down the country, with little realistic prospect of a financial return?

But, if it is only about money, I think you’re looking through the wrong end of the telescope.
It’s the chance for clubs like Stanley of replays in the third round away to one of the big clubs, with a share of the gate.
Owners of clubs are complaining about the money side and nothing else, even the owner of Dorking that has never been to the 1st Round Proper without realising replays till apply in the stage they have always played in their entire history.

Most owners realise that the changes mean more money for the smaller clubs every season, rather than one club out of 700 getting a big replay less than once a season, just a few have spoken out.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2024, 20:43   #10
God Member

Yeah, you’re right, Chewbaca.
Let’s just give the FA Cup to Man City in August and save everyone a load of money and time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..