Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2008, 16:31   #1

Anyone thought about the pitch?

Just to add to the million and one theories on why we are performing so badly has anyone considered the effect that the condition of the pitch has. It has to be noted that in general the FES pitch is an uneven slope but this season it has got particularly bad, making passing flowing football nearly impossible.

A friend of mine who only goes occasionally has noticed this and points out that most of the other clubs in the league (Stockport apart) will have half-decent level pitches. When Stanley manage to pass the ball about a bit they can put some decent football together.

Is it any wonder that the form away from home has been better this season? My suggestion would be that the one major investment at the end of the season is a completely new, levelled pitch.
Forever Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2008, 16:33   #2

Re: Anyone thought about the pitch?

That gives coleman another excuse to use
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 16:36   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

could be possible,they aint the greatest team in the division,but dont think as bad as the home form suggests, another theory is attendances of which away ones are better, creating a better atmospherewho knows?
Old 14-02-2008, 16:36   #4
God Member

Think you could have a point forever red with regards to the pitch & home performance, maybe thats why the hoof it up rather than on the pitch, tho can say with experience that the ground staff do a great job with what they have, shoould be noted

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 16:40   #5
God Member

Lets hope they get mechanical covers when they upgrade it then
Old 14-02-2008, 17:37   #6

Usually if a pitch is not great it should always benefit the home team. We should be using this to our advantage. I don't want a bowling green type surface to help the opposition play "nice" football on. The only thing I would change about the pitch we have now is to perhaps grow the grass a little longer in the corners.
Old 14-02-2008, 17:37   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Red View Post
It has to be noted that in general the FES pitch is an uneven slope but this season it has got particularly bad, making passing flowing football nearly impossible.
Other teams seem to manage quite well at the FES. Lincoln's passing was pretty good.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 17:52   #8
God Member

Yet again Revived Red has hit the nail on the head. The teams who have beat us here this season seem to have managed OK.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 19:48   #9
Senior Member+

We apparently spent a 5 figure sum on the pitch in the summer, trouble is no-one mentioned where the decimal point was!!!

The whole thing really needs rotavating, filling, levelling and reseeding fully, I'm sure Gary the groundsman must be cursing it, unfortunately a pollished turd is still a turd. No matter if you're the best groundsman in the world, you need somewhere to start, I've played on better council pitches, unfortunately. Gary is a very good groundsman, but he'd need to be a miracle worker here.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 19:51   #10
God Member

i think you would find the pitch is in tip top condition no way could you get it like a bowling green the weather we have had...
Old 15-02-2008, 14:36   #11

All credit to the groundsman for managing to keep the pitch going at all given the weather over the course of the last year which has been particularly wet. However, as has been said, there's only so much he can do with what's there. I remember them saying that money was spent on the pitch last close season but I really don't know what as it didn't look any different on the first match.

I accept that other teams have succeeded on our pitch but a lot of it has been close range stuff partly caused by our nervous defence. It was clear against Lincoln that when we had stuff in their box the keeper was confident and in command of his area, his defenders built on that confidence. I was worried every time the ball got in our box - Bavs is ok on point blank stuff but doesn't seem to have a clue when its bobbling around in the box (and neither do those in front of him). That, in my opinion was the difference between us and Lincoln on Tuesday - they were no great shakes and we were all over them in the first half.
Forever Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 20:36   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Red View Post
I accept that other teams have succeeded on our pitch but a lot of it has been close range stuff partly caused by our nervous defence. It was clear against Lincoln that when we had stuff in their box the keeper was confident and in command of his area, his defenders built on that confidence. I was worried every time the ball got in our box - Bavs is ok on point blank stuff but doesn't seem to have a clue when its bobbling around in the box (and neither do those in front of him). That, in my opinion was the difference between us and Lincoln on Tuesday - they were no great shakes and we were all over them in the first half.
You are dead right. This problem is a major factor in why we are not challenging for play-off places this season, IMHO. I think it's called the Crighton/Bossu(?) syndrome, but maybe that's being a little bit harsh?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 21:36   #13
Full Member+

Not at all harsh, Redraine. I'd call it the Crighton/Bossu/Dunbavin syndrome.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 10:59   #14

The pitch isnt the best around but given the financial recources Gary has he works bloody miracles.

I personnally feel it's down to the lack of preperation, we are just not focused enough imho. Also on another note the team has been at loggerheads with the chairman for most of the season surley that cant be helping, i know some of you will lambast me and say "yes but they are proffesional's" of course they are i agree but any slight distraction is enough to unfocus the mind.

Although we won at Chester the preperation was poor !! We prepare like we are still in the Unibond on and off the pitch.. if we are to suceed and push on we need to be polished and prepare like the succesfull club's do.

Anyhow... lets get positive and get three points today at Brentford.
Give us the old gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 11:26   #15

Quote:
The team has been at loggerheads with the chairman for most of the season
about what?????????????
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..