Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 22:15   #1

Barnet boozing

Those looking for a pub with a decent selection of beer around Barnet will be pushed. Barnet is largely McMullen’s and Greene King territory. The former is a rarity beyond the south, their AK brew is full and fruity; the latter is sadly more ubiquitous, and their IPA lamentably bland.
<O</O<O</O
For the more adventurous (or at least those in a car) its worth venturing up the High Street a little to the Ye Olden Monken Holt (193 High Street, EN5 5SU) which seems a good bet for a reasonable choice of beer. Another pub worth a visit is the Mitre Inn (58 High Street, EN5 5SJ). The Mitre promises two guest beers, though what they might be is anyone’s guess. You might be lucky and catch something good, if not there’s only Adnams and Tetleys, neither of which you would put yourself out for. In between these two is the King’s Head (84 High Street, EN5 5SN) which serves McMullen’s, though a friend tells me that the range has been recently extended.
<O</O
For those in and around the area well before kick-off, a do-able Northern Line detour would be to Tufnell Park, eight stops down the way, close to which is the Dartmouth Arms (35 York Rise, NW5 1SP), a decent boozer with a good selection of beer. This is where I’ll be for a while before setting off for the game around 1.30, if anyone would care to join me for a few gills.
<O</O<O</O
For those in the capital who want to go the extra mile to taste a bit of genuine London Town, there’s nothing better than the Wenlock Arms (26 Wenlock Road, N1 7TA). This is a 10-minute walk from Old Street underground station, from where you can catch a tube to High Barnet. The Wenlock is proper bo. The punters are working folk from the surrounding estates who can be refreshingly ‘impatient’ with loud foreigners or students. Loud foreign students don’t stand a chance. There’s a superb range of top notch beer with at least one mild guaranteed. You might also try the house speciality, the Wenlock salt beef sandwich. Beware that it’s at least an hour from here to High Barnet, taking into account the walk and a few minutes’ wait for a train. You’d need to get there at opening time (midday) for it to be worth the effort, and it’s a long haul from Old Street to Barnet. There may be added delays due to maintenance work on the other Northern Line branch. For those around after the game, Saturday nights at the Wenlock sees vintage Caribbean ska on the decks, but not played too loudly. Well worth a visit if you have the time.
<O</O<O</O
On we go
<O</O<O</O
Phil<O</O
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-02-2007, 14:14   #2

Re: Barnet boozing

You may want to give serious thought to heading into central London on Saturday. Northern Line west end branch is shut between Camden and Kennington which usually impacts on the rest of the system although in theory you can still go on the city branch (Old St) if you want to use that pub.

Alternatively if you are real ale merchants you could proably do worse than the Elephant in Finchley - about half a mile from West Finchley which is three stops down from High Barnet http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...North_Finchley

Any way have a good day and see you Saturday
The Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 14:53   #3

[quote=The Bees;380827]You may want to give serious thought to heading into central London on Saturday.

unable to make it saturday but if i was i would be heading for the Flying Scotsman in Kings Cross a favourite haunt for any away fans in the city
Old 08-02-2007, 16:44   #4
God Member

what weather like in barnet??? anyone know the chances of our game getting called off? BBC says light showers for the saturday which could be bad if the pitch is frozen
Old 09-02-2007, 21:45   #5

The Tally Ho in North Finchely is very good. It is just a 5-10 minute drive to the ground. A good selection ales which include, Abbot, Spitfire, Pedigree, Courage Best and 2 guest ales. It is a Wetherspoons so is fairly cheap!
spoonerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:41   #6

Talking Re: Barnet boozing

I don't know much about the beer round there, but I went to see Barnet v Walsall earlier this season and The Old Red Lion is right next to the ground - just a couple of hundred yards to walk.

I will probably be in there before the game - and maybe afterwards too if we win !!!
Urban Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..