Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Bottle for THE BREWERS !!...Burton Albion thread !.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Defence was fighting a losing battle for the entire game.....
Here's my two penn'orth. I have to disagree that the defence was fighting a losing battle - I thought it was a winning battle with Aldred and Atkinson superb. Rene Howe is a formidable opponent but he had few chances.

The huge worry for me is midfield. We started with three players there who are simply not League 2 standard - McCartan, Richardson and Mingoia. Only late in the game did we show some organisation and reasonable passing skills. We seem disorganised in midfield - this was summed up by that strange free kick when Lidds and Joyce had no idea what to do and ended up tapping the ball to each other. This lack of organisation makes it almost inevitable that we revert to the long ball game.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the referee - a total plonker. He could not be held responsible for the defeat, but he was still a plonker.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Sorry, but I don't agree with the "unlucky" consensus that seems to occur in this thread....

We were second best for long spells in the game. As others have said, pumping long aimless high balls towards two forwards, who probably don't top 5' 10" ......marked by two six foot plussers. Pointless exercise....hence...... no joy.

Midfield....Only one starting player was trying his guts out.....Naismith. The likes of Joyce & Richardson were totally dominated. Never won any second ball, totally by-passed by Burton's swift and effective passing game.

Defence was fighting a losing battle for the entire game..... I'm surprised they didn't score a long,long time before they eventually did. Totally exposed by the lack of a combative midfield and any shielding.

The young lad Mahoney should start for me....at least he has the positivety to try and make runs and beat his man when he gets the ball.

I've not walked off the Crown as deflated and worried since our early days back in the League.

I'm revising my earlier optimism for this term.

Make no mistake folks....If things don't change and fast, we'll be swimming against the tide for the entire season and unless we can somehow muster a few new quality recruits, 22nd will be an outstanding achievement this term.

Given our lack of finances, Beattie will have to produce some rabbits from his hat. Better still....get reasonably match fit, dust off the boots and lead the team from on the pitch.
A good honest assessment of our position at this time,
I thought that Bettineli, Murphy, Liddle, Aldred, Atkinson all had good games but were put under constant pressure because of our weakness in midfield.
But Naismith & Mahoney were a joy to watch
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Mid Field once again very poor,agree wi F.C.Stanley Joyce is not a captain nor a div2 player, its well n good trying, but if not up to it then yeh aint its that simple.
Redraine and DAV007 like this.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36   #19
God Member

looks like we need a midfielder in the gary roberts john miles mould to settle the midfield down ill ask ally if he can lend a couple
Old 01-09-2013, 11:43   #20
Senior Member+

For my two-penneth, I thought unlucky is not a tag we should be using, it was daylight robbery not helped by a referee and 2 assistants who would constantly blow a whistle or raise the flag when Stanley were tackling/defending etc, but when the Brewers committed the same fouls, nothing happened, they got away with it. Ithought the team fought valiantly and although the midfield looks weak, what about attack? 12 shots but only 2 on target (from the BBC stats) is not good news. I thought at times we were trying to over elaborate the attack to get a better shooting chance and invariably lost the ball. I enjoyed the game and I thought Stanley played reasonably well, I am just fuming about the referee and his assistants being so inconsistent. The first win will come soon (Middlesborough apart) and I think that will be just the filip this team needs. You could see the heads drop when Burton scored, but at least they had a few seconds to try to equalise. How some shots on an open goal missed, I will never know. We could and should have been 2 or 3 up before they scored. I still believe though.

P.S. Brewer's fan came up to me after the game and said they did not deserve that 3 points, but would take them.
AccyMad, Revived Red and mab like this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

How Naismith keep his cool was commendable to me the Brewers No21 was fouling him all 97 mins pushing,shirt pulling etc the useless ref ignored it completely.
Old 01-09-2013, 16:50   #22
Full Member+

With reduced prices from last year the crowds have dropped and seem to be dropping.

Pompey was a glamour game, but the rest have been lower than expected including yesterday which was a worse than Chelts last week. The worst for me was Cardiff, even with the 2 for 1 too boost sales it was only half of what we got for a promotion game on sky in the conference.

In 1990 Stanley had the smallest ground in the division but the biggest attendances of around 500. Too much football on the telly/streams etc these days.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 17:04   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Whilst agree too much footy on T.V. This always occurs at the majority of clubs who are on a bad run of results, same goes fer a good run crowds increase.
Chubbyman likes this.
Old 01-09-2013, 18:34   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Here's my two penn'orth. I have to disagree that the defence was fighting a losing battle - I thought it was a winning battle with Aldred and Atkinson superb. Rene Howe is a formidable opponent but he had few chances.

The huge worry for me is midfield. We started with three players there who are simply not League 2 standard - McCartan, Richardson and Mingoia. Only late in the game did we show some organisation and reasonable passing skills. We seem disorganised in midfield - this was summed up by that strange free kick when Lidds and Joyce had no idea what to do and ended up tapping the ball to each other. This lack of organisation makes it almost inevitable that we revert to the long ball game.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the referee - a total plonker. He could not be held responsible for the defeat, but he was still a plonker.

Why are you being so polite by an out and out W*NKER,and that goes for the blind B*STARD too
who was running the line in front of the Jack Barrett Stand !!!!
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 19:07   #25
God Member

Noticed in the Sunday paper that 'ref', if he can be so termed, was from Lancashire !
Over compensating so he wouldn't be accused of regional bias ?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 21:52   #26
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

I've said it before and i'll say it again Stanley are BLESSED with crap MATCH officals Thought we we're robbed of at least a point KEEP the FAITH
Old 01-09-2013, 22:21   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyman View Post
Why are you being so polite
Because that's the way I am. I've never seen the need to use vulgarity and obscenity in order to get a point across.
MikeA, Tin Monkey, Chimer and 2 others like this.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:21   #28
Full Member+

What a sickener! I was happy to settle for a point half way into the second half as i saw a point rather than another loss as a psychological gain for our team. The ref, and the linesman in front of us were poor which didn't help!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:02   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Because that's the way I am. I've never seen the need to use vulgarity and obscenity in order to get a point across.

I see your point,but history is full of incidents were the mild,meek and polite just get trampled over.So lets go your way and thank the ref and linesman for their totally incompetent performances and wish them well spending the supporters hard earned money that they got paid.We all hope the officials carry on being a total pair of Plonkers.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 13:00   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyman View Post
I see your point,but history is full of incidents were the mild,meek and polite just get trampled over.So lets go your way and thank the ref and linesman for their totally incompetent performances and wish them well spending the supporters hard earned money that they got paid.We all hope the officials carry on being a total pair of Plonkers.
It's really rather sad that you have to resort to nonsense in a pathetic effort to reply. I have tried really hard to see where I suggested thanking the officials but, amazingly, I cannot find any such thought.

Also rather sad is your assumption that those who avoid vulgarity and obscenity are somehow "meek and mild". And to put your mind at rest, I cannot recall EVER being trampled over, physically or metaphorically.
Redash likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..