Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2005, 10:04   #1

Burnley Tonight

I believe Burnley are fetching a strong side tonight and using it as a warm up session before there international match against Iceland.

Which if they win they will be up against Farmfoods in the final of the Frozen Foods Trophy.
Old 20-07-2005, 13:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Burnley Tonight

Ha Ha!!! thats cheered me up no end has that Bottletop. been having a very boring day until reading that. Very quick indeed!!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 14:36   #3

Same Here, Im Really Up For Tonight And I Hope We Can Give The Burnley Fans A Headache Too
Old 20-07-2005, 17:01   #4
Senior Member+

2000 Burnley fans expected or maybe more. Good to see this amount of Burnley fans here, makes a nice sum of money for Stanley
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 22:11   #5
God Member

didn't make match, caught end on 2BR (chees Dan) and know we lost 0-3 but can anyone tell me how we played, anything/anyone stand out?? What was the crowd number and did we outsing the dingles???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 22:55   #6
Full Member+

Attendance: 2580 - probably about 2/3 from Burnley and as they took the lead inside the first 10 minutes, no, we didn't outsing them.

In short, we huffed and puffed, but could only rely on their defensive errors (particularly in the second half) before we looked like scoring. Mullin went off injured halfway through the first-half and his loss was very noticeable.

Latham again looked very good at left-back; Rocky looked as though he was playing out of position, which he was at right-back; and the centre-back pairing of Flynn and Tretton did pretty well considering that Burnley completely over-ran our midfield through the middle (Brannan and Craney). They had a very good goal disallowed for offside and they hit the post in the first-half, so it could have very easily been 4-0 at half-time and that was a fair reflection on the game. Danny came on for the second half and we only conceded one goal, though it was an extremely good individual goal.

They made some subsitutions and we came into the game more in the second half, particularly through Jagielka on the right-wing. But they had largely dropped a gear. Roberts was well-marked by their right-back and had much less influence than yesterday, while Craney again looked hungry for goals.

Not too many positives to take from this game, but Burnley were by far the best team we have played this preseason. We certainly now need some easier defences to play against so that our strikers can rediscover some confidence and composure in front of goal.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 23:08   #7
God Member

cheers whalley red, a very concise description and much appreciated by those of us who didn't make it to the match

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 00:07   #8

Whalley Red is sopt on again. It was a good performance by Burnley. I think Wade Elliot made the game his own. He's going to be some player. I think Stanley did well considering it was there second game in as many days. STILL LACKING UP FRONT THOUGH.
Old 21-07-2005, 00:28   #9
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
cheers whalley red, a very concise description and much appreciated by those of us who didn't make it to the match
I second that, thanks Whalley Red.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 06:39   #10
Senior Member+

Good summary WR and of notable concern was the way our midfield was totally ineffective. Brannon and Craney are no good playing together, as the weaknesses of one outweigh the strengths of the other.

The only thing I couldn't work out was your reference to Craney being 'hungry for goals'. To me he looked way out of his depth and in a 4-4-2 formation I don't think he should even be on the pitch.

Apart from that, once Mullin went off we never really looked like scoring and the lack of creativity was, for me, very troubling.

It was a shame we couldn't have looked better than we did, as some of those Burnley fans may have been tempted to come again when their own team was playing away.
Old 21-07-2005, 09:48   #11
God Member

Craney did seem hungry for goals.... I think what that means is he was up for it... trying to get the ball more and be part of it more than he was at the end of last season when he trailed off..... being hungry for it doesn't cover how well he did or didn't play..... well thats how i read it and would agree with
Old 21-07-2005, 13:16   #12
Full Member+

That's how I meant it

I'd already written that, defensively, he and Brannan were no match for the Burnley midfield. But he did seem keen to get the ball and take on their players to try and get himself into a shooting position. He did have one good run, but was already losing his balance when through to the penalty area and shot tamely. In fact, his shooting has never really come close to the high of Morecambe away last season and without that, Proccy is surely the much better player.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..