Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 22:44   #1

Burton Match Report - for the Stanley stayaways!

Thought i'd post my thoughts on today's game. I'm full of optimism - which is rare. Excellent performance - here's how it was for me.

Adam

(Kipax you can put this on official site if you want)

It’s rare that I ever consider writing a match report on Stanley, usually I feel like I have said enough on the radio. Tonight I feel a bit different. Tonight I feel a need – a need to tell the people who were not at the Pirelli Stadium and those who have not seen the team this year, just how good Stanley were today.

I, for one, feel that there is a fundamental difference in this team compared to the one of last season. Don’t get me wrong, last year was good; but this year is better. Better, because of the work ethic of the players. Better because of their fitness levels; better for their endeavour to grind wins where last year they may only have drawn.

It’s hard to lay a finger on the reasons but there’s so much of a youthful elegance about the side – young players that are eager to launch their careers having been discarded by their old employees. There’s so much vigour about them; determination; energy - energy that oozes from start to finish in a match. That was certainly the case today.

Stanley’s start to the season hasn’t been helped by unsettling injury problems but they have overcome the adversity to uncover a real gem of a goalkeeper in Darren Randolph – hope and pray he will remain. In front of him there is an organised rearguard that today, led by the excellent Robbie Willams, looked solid and compact. That was, of course, not the case of Stanley’s defence last season. Then there’s the midfield. John Coleman has put his faith in Anthony Barry and Ian Craney in the centre and it has reaped rewards. The pair were combative, direct and dominant again today. And Stephen Jagielka who looks more like a stable right winger each game he plays; Gary Roberts, despite not having the best of games today by the standards he has set, gave the side added balance and another route to goal. Upfront there’s a father figure in Mullin. Not saying that in a bad way, but he leads from the front and by exceptional example. Alongside him is the player, who for me has been Stanley’s most outstanding so far: David Brown.

And Brown it was who orchestrated and scored Stanley’s scintillating opening goal after nine minutes at the Pirelli Stadium. Bursting forward from half-way he spotted Jagielka’s darting free-run down the right. The former Hereford man waited intelligently before playing his team-mate in behind Burton’s defence with a perfectly weighted pass. Jagielka cut the ball back almost instantaneous and it found its way back to Brown who had taken up the perfect position to coolly slot home left-footed from six yards.

Without creating an abundance of first-half chances, Stanley stamped their authority on the game with some sharp passing interplay and firm tackling. On the odd occasion that Burton did break Stanley’s midfield stranglehold, they couldn’t find a way past an equally well-marshalled Stanley defence.

Four minutes into the second half, Stanley were denied a clear penalty when Burton’s Ryan Austin appeared to touch the ball with both arms as he jumped for a header with Mullin. It’s a measure of this Stanley side, however, that they failed to let that rile them and Andrew Mangan’s timely introduction midway through the second period signalled curtains for Burton.

The 18-year-old, who is being eased rather than pushed into his professional career, laid bare his dazzling attributes with 18 minutes remaining. Mullin rose to head a long-ball into the youngster’s path and with defenders still to beat he showed no hesitation in sprinting square of a defender before curling a delightful low shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

It had been expected that John Coleman would feature his two new signings, Alan Navarro and Romi Boco, at some stage in the proceedings, but quite frankly, and this is no disrespect, they were not needed. The Reds carelessly disposed of a two goal lead at Burton last season and that can’t have been far from the minds of all concerned. But, as I’ve said, this is a different Stanley side to last year and it showed as they shut up shop, rolled the ball around confidently and purposefully and only saw Darren Randolph have to pull off one fine save towards the end to keep a worthy clean-sheet intact.

Yes, there is a long way to go but my goodness; was it a pleasure to watch Accrington Stanley today if only for the two awesome goals?

For me it was.

Adam

Last edited by Adam Cottier; 10-09-2005 at 22:47.
Adam Cottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2005, 22:54   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Burton Match Report - for the Stanley stayaways!

Thanks Adam, great report, and very encouraging.

Was sadly a stay away because of family commitments, but very interesting report, cheers.

May even think about stop calling you Paddington now, and tell Tinks to lay off you in the chatroom.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 22:57   #3

The 'word' stayaways only refers to those who have stayed away from the Interlink this year. You did miss a good performance today though. Some will say i'm going over the top - I don't think I am.
Old 10-09-2005, 22:58   #4
God Member

yeah great report adam, was almost there reading that.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 00:27   #5
I am Banned

Many thanks Adam for a very fine report.

I got a total flavour of what was going on and I was delighted that you focussed on those astonishing goal-finders Brown and Mangan.

It's great to know , too , that Darren Randolph has settled in and provided Stanley with a clean sheet away .

Please don't hesitate to provide more of the same !
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:41   #6
Resting in Peace

Wink Re: Burton Match Report - for the Stanley stayaways!

Here's my match report:-

Had to miss the match to go to Sheffield to sort out a family problem. Driving over the Snake Pass in the clouds, desperately surfing the airwaves to hear any news of Stanley as the wazzoks on 5 Live studiously give out all the half times except the Conference!
Then, approaching Ladybower res., bingo! Radio Derby has live commentary from the Pirelli Stadium. Stanley 1-0 up but under the cosh. It's only a matter of time before Burton score. Accrington can't get out of their half and their bench is going bananas. Burton left winger (Gilroy?) is creating havoc and puts one on a plate but their striker just puts it past the post. Flynn is getting everything in the air. (All the time I can hear the magnificent Stanley support keeping the lads going). Commentator says "Mannergan(!) on for Roberts.Should Burton bring on another striker? No, a goal or 2 is bound to come!" Oh no, Stanley are at it again and are going to throw away another lead.
Then, past Hathersage and dropping down over the moor to Sheffield the signal goes. More desperate surfing but only radio Notts, radio Hallam and radio Lincoln. Plenty of updates but nothing from Burton. Can we hang on????????????
Walk in to the house and Sports Report is giving all the results. Chelsea 2 Sunderland 0, blah blah blah - come on!! Burton 0 Accrington Stanley 2 - utter joy, I can't believe it.
Really chuffed for Mangan as I felt sorry for him against Exeter and Scarborough with those missed chances but now he can motor!
Get back home at 11.45, just in time for Match of the Day, but nothing on there can come close to the thrill of my afternoon. Can't sleep, so have to come on here to get it out of my system. Roll on the next match.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:49   #7
God Member

got to admit with u cotty rockie and jaggers had really a really good game jaggers never seemed to stop running!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:11   #8
Senior Member+

Thanks, Adam. The report's now on the official site. I think all of those who were there felt just as upbeat about the team and performance. I was very impressed with Darren Randolph and still felt he would have coped with the three 'sitters' that Burton missed in the second half. I hope Coley can agree an extension. My MOTM would have been Mike Flynn who was outstanding at the heart of the defence.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:47   #9

adam thanks for the report, please would you be a little more suttle with your chosen title as ive not been to the ies this year and i dont think a title like that is likely to get any new followers partime or fulltime, just my opinion, once again thanks for the time and effort youve put in to it and i might see you at daggenham match
Old 11-09-2005, 11:14   #10
Senior Member+

Good report there Adam. It's good to hear that things are on the up.

Let's just hope we don't put in a deflated performance at home next week.
Old 11-09-2005, 16:57   #11

Adam,

I hereby retract my past criticisms of your journalistic skills!!

That was an absolutely superb report, well constructed & just what this 'stayaway' fan wanted to hear!
Especially pleased that Rocky had a good game, as I have also been guilty of criticising him in the past!!

Well done, keep it up! (Both of you!)
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..