Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2014, 02:03   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Bury Match Thread...............

[QUOTE=choirboy;1095014] I was a bag of nerves in the last fifteen minutes hoping that we would not get a repeat of Saturdays late reversal! Phew!
[COLOR=red
You were a bag of nerves, mate? What about we poor devils following the action on Dan's live text thingy! Agony, yet again. I'm determined to be back for The Chesterfield game and help bring back our winning home ways, and maybe seeing Deano "policing" Jimmy Ryan as he did last time, if that's not a bit too naughty to ask for?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2014, 09:22   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
On reflection, I think that we should have been taking 3 points off Bury tonight. That chance was reduced drastically by the sending off which, although it was difficult to tell from the Clayton End, I thought wasn't even a foul. To me it looked like a good old fashioned "block tackle" where both players attacking the ball go in hard but with the side of the foot. The player that pulls out of the tackle can come off worse. I stand to be corrected of course by those closer to the incident and by any TV /video coverage. The decision spoiled any real chance of Stanley winning but I thought that Bury were pretty inept in not being able to take advantage of the extra player. Bettinelli was superb and got better and better the longer the game went on. One of the lads who stands near me said that Betts will play for England one day and I think he could be right! One save he did from a header, albeit from a player given offside, was simply immense and reminded me of the great save that Banks did from Pele all those years ago! He fully deserved the accolades of the fans in the Clayton End, definitely Man of the Match! Tom Aldred and Deano were brilliant too, particularly Deano after he was pole axed by an elbow in the back, off the ball, after about 75 minutes. No complaining or rolling about, he got up bravely and just continued! Braveheart Deano. Liddle did really well too and got stuck in superbly. Moly played well and nearly scored a great goal early on. Pierro battled and harried continuously throughout the match and Webber and Hunt had good games too. Once again it was centre midfield which let us down again, even allowing for the sending off.
The only good thing to come out of the match really was that we stopped Bury from jumping above us. I was a bag of nerves in the last fifteen minutes hoping that we would not get a repeat of Saturdays late reversal! Phew!
Come on Stanley keep battling.
Management, players and fans together!
Have to disagree,we stand on Clayton End (Cowshed side) The way we all saw it was a Two Footed Tackle,both feet off ground, So twas no argument.
Old 19-02-2014, 09:41   #18
God Member

I was sat fairly close to where Wilson made his tackle and in my view it was a certain red card. It was a high lunge and somewhat reckless. Given that it was right in front of the referee (and the Bury players were so quick to surround the ref - a sad practice that occurred after every half-incident; their manager behaving no better) there was only one possible outcome.

Oddly the numerical disadvantage worked in our favour as it was only after Odejayi was taken off for Liddle that we managed to maintain our shape. In fact I'd go as far as to say that if we had played with our starting 11 for 90 minutes we would have lost the game.

Bettinelli had an outstanding game not only in making point-blank saves but in commanding his area and organising the defence. By far and away the clear Man of the Match.

Surprised to see the negative comments against our centre-midfield. Given that Bury played through the middle for the entire second half and got nowhere near I'd say they did well. We set up two compact banks of four to stop the play and they held their lines well. Joyce made a number of key interceptions and Murphy a number of important clearances.

Would hope to see Odejayi given a rest in the next game as his positional play was poor and he looked sluggish. Webber is such an important player for us in the centre forward role and would have scored if not for a wonder-tackle by the Bury centre half which killed our counter. Webber could do with a lively forward with plenty of legs playing off him. An in-form James Gray is the best candidate for this role in my eyes.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 10:05   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Joyce did make good interceptions i agree, but he couldn't pass water last night, so ball went directly back to Bury. Defeats the object i think. Think webber n gray worth a punt defo.
Old 19-02-2014, 11:44   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I was sat fairly close to where Wilson made his tackle and in my view it was a certain red card. It was a high lunge and somewhat reckless. Given that it was right in front of the referee (and the Bury players were so quick to surround the ref - a sad practice that occurred after every half-incident; their manager behaving no better) there was only one possible outcome.

Oddly the numerical disadvantage worked in our favour as it was only after Odejayi was taken off for Liddle that we managed to maintain our shape. In fact I'd go as far as to say that if we had played with our starting 11 for 90 minutes we would have lost the game.

Bettinelli had an outstanding game not only in making point-blank saves but in commanding his area and organising the defence. By far and away the clear Man of the Match.

Surprised to see the negative comments against our centre-midfield. Given that Bury played through the middle for the entire second half and got nowhere near I'd say they did well. We set up two compact banks of four to stop the play and they held their lines well. Joyce made a number of key interceptions and Murphy a number of important clearances.

Would hope to see Odejayi given a rest in the next game as his positional play was poor and he looked sluggish. Webber is such an important player for us in the centre forward role and would have scored if not for a wonder-tackle by the Bury centre half which killed our counter. Webber could do with a lively forward with plenty of legs playing off him. An in-form James Gray is the best candidate for this role in my eyes.
Best post as ever

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 15:48   #21
Senior Member+

OK Cashy and Shaker as you probably had a better view than me. I still think our centre midfield players have for the last several matches been playing too deep. When we were hanging on in the second half our formation, out of neccessity I suppose, was more like a back line of 6 with 2 wide midfielders none in centre midfield and one up front. When we have had eleven on the pitch in other matches the ten outfielders sort of play in a box of eight with a hole in the middle! In my opinion our centre midfield pair simply need to press higher up the middle of the field.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 06:51   #22
Resting in Peace

Crazy tackle by Wilson in that position on the field. Should be fined!

Accrington 0-0 Bury | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 11:56   #23
God Member

Can see why the ref sent him off as, at normal speed, it looks like a two footed lunge. But, using what passes for the pause button, it looks to me that:
[a] the Bury player had clearly lost control of the ball and was actually jumping towards it himself with both feet off the ground, and
[b] Mr. Wilson makes the tackle with his right foot only, but his movement carries both feet through.
Anyway, he'll have to serve his ban and it'll up to Mr. Liddle, whose tackling is, IMHO, pretty good, to take his chance to reclaim the leftback position if it's offered.
yonmon and Chubbyman like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..