Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2005, 23:43   #1

Exclamation Cardiff Friendly

On the whole I thought Stanley played pretty well today. Despite the three goals I thought the defence looked pretty sound with Andy Tretton partnering Flynn at centre-half. The midfield did okay too, especially Gary Roberts who continues to suggest to me that he will have a great effect in the team this coming season.

The alarming thing is that creativity in the team stops with him. The other midfielders are incapable of finding openings, beating men and really making an impact, although Procter and Jagielka do their jobs well. The one thing Stanley needed to do after last season was to stitch up the gaps in defence, with the advent of a good goalkeeper behind that - who I hope will be Danny Alcock - I think this will be achieved.

The problem now is goals. Stanley cannot rely solely on Paul Mullin!!! so where else do goals come from?

The real problem is that Stanley, with the current contracted squad count at 14, need at least five, maybe six, more players. Where are they going to come from? Coley has to sign at least one new striker because I don't see Brown and Mullin as an adequate partnership, although they are untested together and need more time. This is not to mention the introduction of the ridiculous transfer window.

All in all today was a good work out against superior opposition but the lack of potency in the final third worries me although perhaps I am being too hasty?

One thing I would like to add though, is that I trust the management team to get it right.

Please share your thoughts

Adam

Last edited by Adam Cottier; 17-07-2005 at 00:05.
Adam Cottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2005, 10:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Cardiff Friendly

Although I hate to admit it, you've hit the nail on the head Adam.

We are lacking a creative midfield player and a striker who can score 20 goals a season. Mullin will do his bit and I have no doubt of that, but who will score the 25 goals McEvilly scored last season? I like Brown alot, but he's not the answer to this problem.

As for these 'trialists', in my opinion none of them look any better than the players we've let go, so I doubt very much that these will form the 4 or 5 new players that we still need.

At the end of last season Coleman said he had players lined up ready to sign, but apart from Tretton I can't see any 'new' faces yet. There's still time of course and maybe in the last week before the season starts players 'on trial' at League clubs will be released and we'll sign some of those? I just don't see that as an effective pre-season strategy.

I've never had impossibly high hopes for Stanley and I've never been one of those who thought we'd 'walk the league' this coming season, but as things stand right now I don't feel confident of matching even last season's mid-table position.
Old 17-07-2005, 10:37   #3

I'm not here to defend Coley, as an MFC fanatic why should I? But come on fellas. It's only your second friendly and already you are on at him for not bringing in new players. Get real! Have a good look at the lack of movement within other Conf teams. Very few clubs have signed ready made replacements.

We've only signed some Academy lads who are there for develpoment purposes. Which begs the question...'have you guys got no Academy players that Coley thinks are worth signing on?' Mind you we do have 3 players signed last close season who have not figured for us yet!

Coley and more to the point Eric know the score. A lot can change before the 13th.....

By the way, what's happened to Alex Hay?
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 11:32   #4

Hay was injured yesterday
Old 17-07-2005, 11:35   #5

That sounds like Alex!
Old 17-07-2005, 16:32   #6

All credit to Roberts & Craney who both were tireless throughout the game & put full effort in. Mullin looks to have regained some pace too & I spoke to him after the game. Paul is very confident of reaching higher this season & is sure the management will have the gaps filled by the start of the season. Still early days yet & lets see how things pan out over the next three main friendlies, not taking anything away from Jonathans testimonial. Are you still on at BBC Cotty? Will try & say hello on Tues- can't miss me with name on back of my shirt!
Old 17-07-2005, 17:42   #7

yeah I am mate. That's why I don't want to be following Stanley in mid-table. Last year was such a buzz because of how long the challenge lasted, as I'm sure it was for everyone else. I should be there on Tuesday if not definitely Wednesday. Radio lancs friendly coverage is pretty minimal really, and to tell you the truth I hate friendlies myself. Roll on Canvey Island.
Old 17-07-2005, 22:25   #8

Don't forget Adam it is still July & Blackburn hols haven't even started so is a very early start for the lads. However the quality of the opposition will be a good test for the lads & management to mount a good challenge. As Coley keeps telling us "Keep the Faith". I am sure you will be able to embelish on last season.
Old 18-07-2005, 08:20   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Despite the three goals I thought the defence looked pretty sound with Andy Tretton partnering Flynn at centre-half.
I thought the defence was just as bad as last season, posted missing half of the time. We have let three defenders go and have only signed one. If we get this defence sorted out we will have no problems next season.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 15:30   #10

...you forgot to mention Champions Elect Morecambe; Aldershot; Hereford; Stevenage; Woking and a few others regarding having 'no problems next season!'
Old 18-07-2005, 20:42   #11

jamie milligan is on trial.he will provide the creative spark in the middle of the park if he is kept on
webby1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:22   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby1987
jamie milligan is on trial.he will provide the creative spark in the middle of the park if he is kept on
Didn't Leigh give him a free transfer to Droylsden not so long ago? I hope he's much improved if your prediction is true.
Old 18-07-2005, 22:11   #13
Senior Member+

Dont know if any others agree but I was impressed with Anthony Barry on Saturday looks a good signing.......very comfortable on the ball and a good tackler got speed too
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 10:00   #14
God Member

I don't know what the hell Coley was playing at putting Ged at right back, the poor lad tried his best but was like a fish out of water. I know it's very early days but with the exception of Gary Roberts who had a brilliant game I wasn't really impressed by anyone in particular. Hoping for a better game tonight.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..