Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2006, 18:06   #1

Charlton Fan here - Congratulations & Can we have our goalie back please

Since you have borrowed a few of our players this season I have adopted you as my Conference team and followed you all year.

Firstly I want to congratulate you on a fabulous achievement this season - there are some pretty good teams in the conference but you appear to have dispatched them and deserve all the praise being lavished upon you.

My second point is regarding goalkeepers - I have been on here a few times this season and it seems that both Randolph and Elliott have been very popular with the fans and fellow players - as far as next season goes I would think it is unlikely they will figure in our first team plans and I see no reason why we cannot loan one of them back you you for the next season.
We seem to be fairly well blessed at Charlton with goalkeepers but unfortunately we also seem to wait until a player is 21 or 22 before they even get a look in in the first team and this worries me - I just hope we can tie them both up on long term contracts and then loan them out until they are 'ready' (though I suspect they would be no worse than some of the keeping at the Valley this season!!)

So my question is simple - Darren or Rob, who would you rather have next year and what are their strengths and weaknesses?

Once again - congrats
swisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2006, 18:16   #2
I am Banned

Re: Charlton Fan here - Congratulations & Can we have our goalie back please

Thank you!
Awww but please can we keep Rob Elliot pretty please
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 18:43   #3

Both corking goalies, but I prefer Elliot, great shot stopper, good command of his area and has a 6th sense when it comes to penalties!

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 18:47   #4
Resting in Peace

Randolph is Mr Cool but Elliott is sensational! Who the hell is your goalkeeping coach - he must be a genius? I hate to say it but Rob would be in my team ahead of Thomas Myhre, any day.
BTW, Charlton are now my second team, for ever.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 19:05   #5
God Member

Andy Dibble is the goalkeepign coach.. the famous andy dibble

Charlton fans should look at the player of the year thread.. your guy is on loan and hasnt been here all season yet he has won the WWW player of the seaosn award... absoloutly brilliant... but.. his kicking goes astray some games.. made a few wayward ones today ... but that doesnt matter cus he stops goals and even saves a few penalties
Old 17-04-2006, 20:36   #6

Andy Dibble is doing a great job in the background at Stanley

Stanley reserves have a decent up and coming keeper Danny Holland keep an eye out for him although not yet ready maybe one for the future.

We need to establish more youth players to come thru the system as i guess we dont have £££s to buy players. Keep the faith with the youth i'm sure some players will come thru given time.

Give us a green to the football league

SR - VJP has broken down get Gerring out
Give us a green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 20:56   #7

he did well today

i was also impressed with his kicking when under pressure

got it bob on 99% of the time
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 00:44   #8
I am Banned

At the beginning of this season we were in desperate trouble as regards goalkeepers.

Injuries , player exits , all had contributed to a dreadful situation - in complete contrast to our previous two seasons where we'd been more than comfortable in the 'keeper stakes.

Four, five, six, seven and - yes eight goalkeepers were registered in order to save Stanley as we haemorrhaged goals in an alarming manner.

Somehow, a deal was done with Charlton that we'd have Darren Randolph - a raw young 'keeper who needed experience.

Well, he got that experience and we got his skills and confidence which increased daily.

Darren grew in our affections so that when he left at Christmas we were quite distraught.

Enter, then, another of Curbishley's goalkeeping prodigies - Rob Elliot.

This time, though, there was no period of acclimatisation.

Rob Elliot immediately dominated the Stanley penalty area, confidently issued instructions to long-serving Stanley defenders and strode the goal area like a colossus.

The man is a phenomenon.

Forget his age. He is just amazing.

It has to be Rob Elliot.
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 01:04   #9
Senior Member+

Fairly full answer from Henry.

Both keepers have been excellent, their attitudes are exemplary. We've seen more of Elliott, and he has a big personality. Heard a respected judge compare him to Schmeichel, in the way he dominates the box, I wouldn't disagree. Both are working hard at their game, I think most Accy fans would be happy to have half a season from each of them next year.

We, and Andy Dibble in particular, will continue to look after them

Your decision Mr.Curbishley (very cute BTW)

Must admit I look to Charlton's results these days, and wish them well

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 01:23   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Morton
The man is a phenomenon.

Forget his age. He is just amazing.
so your not worried about his goal kicks and the like then? i take it you havent been to the games when he is having one of his bad kicking days... he can go the whole game without getting one right...... I notice today he was going for the long throw out a bit more often

he is the best goalkeeper i have seen at stanley and i would have him in any side i pick... i picked him as player of the season and he hasnt even been here all season.. thats how impressed i am... and thats after i have seen him have a bad kicking game... but then i have seen every game he has played for stanley so i have a good all round opinion eh
Old 18-04-2006, 07:56   #11

His kicking is just a "minor" point compared to his stopping ability and that 6th sense for penalties everyone is talking about.

Robbie Elliot ... hopefully Stanley's number 1 League 2 goalkeeper :engsmil:
Old 18-04-2006, 12:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Andy Dibble is the goalkeepign coach.. the famous andy dibble

Charlton fans should look at the player of the year thread.. your guy is on loan and hasnt been here all season yet he has won the WWW player of the seaosn award... absoloutly brilliant... but.. his kicking goes astray some games.. made a few wayward ones today ... but that doesnt matter cus he stops goals and even saves a few penalties
I think he means Charltons goalkeeping coach.

I dont know off the top of my head who that is but Mervyn Day is assistant manager so I guess he will have a big influence over the goalkeepers at the club.

Randolph for me BTW. Ability wise I think theres little between the two but Darren just looks a little slicker somehow and I like slick players in my team. Winning is what matters but if you can look good and win then all the better.
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 13:51   #13
Senior Member+

Robbie has done more for Accrington Stanley so if I had to choose then for ASFC it would be Robbie.

However, if I was neutral I would say Darren will go higher because of his presence & calm influence

But they are neck & neck in reality both young, committed, talented & will be forever reverred in these parts along with Jamo, Mark Shirley, Grimmy, Brett etc

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 14:38   #14
FC.

Darren Randolph for me, he made everything look easy. He is composed and was very calm in goal. His kicking was good as well. Not taking anything away from Rob because they are both fantastic but i think Darren just shades it. He will go far in the game as i expect with Rob as well. Darren is now on the bench for most of Charltons games in the premiership since he went back.
FC. is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..