Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 22:32   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Chester "3 Figure Crowd Feared"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well if its over-reacting n meaningless then why is it against the rules n they have been charged? ya got me beat with that!
I think you've misunderstood me. The meaningless comment was related to the bloke's weekly bet. It wasn't a comment about this situation. The point I was making was that to this bloke I know, he has a regular bet that involves Stanley losing. He doesn't wish the club any harm. It's just something he does.

As for the over-reaction comment, well I believe that the tiny minority on here (and a couple of other places) are over-reacting to the situation. The players involved will be punished by the FA and that will have a knock-on effect for the rest of their careers (and possibly lives). We're not talking about fixing matches. We're talking about a bet, something that loads of other players will do on a regular basis. I don't feel cheated and I don't feel let down. They will be punished by the proper authorities and I don't really see the point in demanding that they be publicly flogged too.

Hope that clears things up.
Old 12-04-2009, 22:35   #32
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device. The amount is irrelevant whether a fiver or 5 million, a bets a bet & was still wrong to do it.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 22:35   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
But a £5 bet as part of an accumulator? Come on!!! It wouldn't surprise me if it transpired that Cav's bet was a regular thing. Something that happened every week. I have no idea of course, but I know someone (just a normal bloke, nothing to do with the club) who has a regular bet that involves Stanley losing as part of an accumulator. It is meaningless.

Betting a few thousands does sound more serious, but it's all relative. If you can afford it, then 1, 2 or 4 thousand pounds may not be a lot of money, especially if the bet is virtually a 'sure thing'.

I'm going to bow out now, as we're getting nowhere with all this. If people want to come, they will. I just think that a small minority are massively over-reacting to this situation. It's not the massive deal that some people seem to think it is.
Must say I completely agree.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 22:37   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

sorry fer mis understanding yer meaning, i feel cheated, i cannot reconcile that someone with a few grand on is giving 100%, to me no matter how ya dress a monkey up, its a monkey, same with a cheat.
Old 12-04-2009, 22:42   #35
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device. Now know why cav always had a paper to read. Sorry i shall agree with the findings from the case by the fa & take it from there but still believe they shouldnt be playing, as par with employment law of the rest of the working world. Thats the point people have issue with.
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 22:42   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Posted via Mobile Device. The amount is irrelevant whether a fiver or 5 million, a bets a bet & was still wrong to do it.
I don't think anyone is saying that it wasn't wrong, but I'll let the FA make the decision on the situation and not 'demand' that the club suspends them or else!!

I think the most pathetic comment I've read on the matter was the one about asking for a refund on a season ticket. That kind of thinking simply astounds me. Some people really need to get a grip.
Old 12-04-2009, 22:57   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i shall certainly not be asking fer a refund. i fail to see why the footballing profession should be different to any other, thats my beef pure n simple. they are not gods just workers in a profession most fans would love to have been good enough.
Old 13-04-2009, 10:13   #38
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
We're not talking about fixing matches. We're talking about a bet
No, we are talking about 5 or 6 players betting on the same game, not just a guy having a weekly punt. Some of these players had a big influence on what the score was so you can't help thinking they could have fixed it. As they haven't been charged with fixing the match we can only speculate but what would you say if some of these bets where on the correct score?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 10:42   #39
Resting In Peace

I too think that they should not play, but would that be fair on Grimsby and Bournemouth for Stanley to play a weakened team? I think we would create a few more enemies by not playing them. Let the FA punish them and then Stanley can hand out their own punishment, hopefully by not renewing their contracts.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 10:51   #40
God Member

regardless of whats going on re: betting scandal. I don't believe we will drop down into 3 figures attendance... Bank hol, travelling chester fans and a sunny day... nah I reckon more like 1500

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 11:36   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
As they haven't been charged with fixing the match we can only speculate but what would you say if some of these bets where on the correct score?
I may be wrong but I seem to recall that it was said at the time that some of the bets were indeed on the correct score.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:25   #42

Anyone know why the official attendance on teletext and ceefax is given as 1100, whilst on the fishy site fixtures given as 1348, strange or what?
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:31   #43
God Member

[QUOTETommy McQueen]Anyone know why the official attendance on teletext and ceefax is given as 1100, whilst on the fishy site fixtures given as 1348, strange or what?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Bagpuss will enlighten us.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:44   #44
Senior Member+

In the telegraph today it says 1348.
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:59   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

also in telegraph today is a picture of the banner displayed, well done to whoever designed it. cos its spot on. shame those who run the club, don't share those sentiments.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..