Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2012, 14:36   #16

Re: chris turner

Sadly our opinions do not matter when it comes to selecting the team or deciding who gets retained or released. Those decisions ultimately come down to the manager who sinks or swims based on who he plays, tactics etc.
Being a Footballer is about being athletic, have good technical ability and
having the right attutude. We can see who is athletic, who aas a good touch and can pass a ball what we dont see is the attitude of players
on a daily bases.
I dont know Chris but he is never going to come across in a bad light when
talking to the fans unless he is really stupid and I doubt that he is.
He is just another player who never reached the heights he aspired too.
Good luck to him whatever the future holds, but it wont match up to being a pro footballer.
Long time red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2012, 17:45   #17
God Member

Coley frequently go the best out of 'poor' players and his Stanley record is testament to that. I think most would agree that he had his flaws but he can only be judged on hat he produced, and for our club what he produced was outstanding.

Unfotunately one or two such as Bateson and Turner fell by the wayside BUT their subsequent careers have only proved him right. Bateson was ok and I'd rather he have played for us than not, but he will only go one way from now on. As for Chris, I'd love for him to do what he intends to do and get his head back in the game and start enjoying it again - if that means playing as far down the ladder as its possible to go then so be it. Have a couple of years enjoying the game, keep fit then get ready to go again. In an ideal world he'll be applying for a trial come July and then coming back as the midfielder who destroyed a good Rochdale side on his debut.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 22:44   #18

Nelson at home tomoz will pop down to see him .
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 19:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Coley frequently go the best out of 'poor' players and his Stanley record is testament to that. I think most would agree that he had his flaws but he can only be judged on hat he produced, and for our club what he produced was outstanding.

Unfotunately one or two such as Bateson and Turner fell by the wayside BUT their subsequent careers have only proved him right. Bateson was ok and I'd rather he have played for us than not, but he will only go one way from now on. As for Chris, I'd love for him to do what he intends to do and get his head back in the game and start enjoying it again - if that means playing as far down the ladder as its possible to go then so be it. Have a couple of years enjoying the game, keep fit then get ready to go again. In an ideal world he'll be applying for a trial come July and then coming back as the midfielder who destroyed a good Rochdale side on his debut.
In fairness, Jonathan is now at Scottish Premier Leauge, Ross County. Hardly a drop from League 2. He did manage to play 30 games for Macclesfield last season as well.

As for Chris, I fully agree with some of the above sentiments, The little i actually so of him he seemed to have bags of ability and application. Unfortunately as Chris and Jon found out, If you crossed John Coleman, you were on your bike.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 23:44   #20
God Member

Larry, I didn't mean to diss Jonathan but I reckoned he was about as high as he was going with us and Macc (who got relegated). SPL though? not one of the one glamour clubs with Ross but still ... good luck to him, many thought him hard done by.
Old 25-09-2012, 20:17   #21

Sorry don't often stick my head above the parapit these days but some of the anti-Coley rhetoric being spouted on here since his depature is getting ridiculous.

Yes the man had his flaws but many who criticise would not even have found thier way to the Crown if not for his achievemnets. Even Sir Alex Ferguson has his flaws.

Coley also openly allowed supporters to question his decisions post game in the Crown and always in my experience, responded in an approprite manner. A shame that many who spurned this opportunity now turn to an internet messageboard in retrospect.

In hindisght Coley made errors on occasion but history books will be kind. After all history favours winners....and although he was not many things, that he certainly was.

The King Is Dead.....Long Live the King.
Old 25-09-2012, 20:56   #22
God Member

I don't think that the odd criticism of the King could be classed as "anti-Coley".

There isn't a manager alive who hasn't missed a player or two.
Old 26-09-2012, 21:37   #23

Basically Coley was spot on when it came to Chris Turner. Not good enough.

Had Coley been wrong he'd have been proved so by now because Chris would be back playing in the Football League. He's had his chance to impress in the Conference and not cut the mustard.

There have been many players rejected by managers as not good enough over the years who have gone on to prove them wrong. Beardsley, Dixon, Ormerod spring to mind.

Chris Turner doesn't fall into that category. Sad but true.
Thin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 09:27   #24
Senior Member+

Theres a difference between "not being good enough" and "not fullfilling his potential",I am in the latter IMHO
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 12:34   #25
Senior Member+

There are a million and one people out there who "didn't fulfil their potential". The road to professional football is littered with broken dreams.

I remember similar things being said about players that have been let go over the years and very rarely have they ever gone on to higher and better things.

I'm with Thin Monkey on this. Turner did some things very well from time to time, but he lacked many of the basics that indicated the ability to play at a higher level.
Old 27-09-2012, 18:04   #26
Senior Member+

Most scouting systems ( Liverpool amongst others),adopt the TABS system when reporting on players,Technique
Attitude
Balance
Speed
To me he had at least 3 maybe 4 in his early days.
He played in league two and was on Burnleys books,and believe me there's a lot of good players don't get that far.
Maybe he had too much too soon,I don't know,only Chris could answer that.
There was a lot of people saying Murph wasn't up to it,but with a good attitude,look at him now,consistently turning out good performances.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 18:19   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

When did Chris actually leave Stanley? was it before or after Cooky?
Old 27-09-2012, 19:21   #28
Senior Member+

Way before Cashy.

His last appearance was V Satanage at home in "that" game
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..