Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 08:18   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Comment by Ilyas

Heartfelt thanks for everything you have done.

When we met up at your garden meeting a couple of years ago we could not have envisaged that the club would emerge in these sunlit uplands or what dark days you would have to bring it out of to get there.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20   #17
God Member

From the BBC website:
Khan revealed to BBC Sport this week that he had been a victim of racial abuse and had been attacked with stones since he took control of the club in March 2011.

BBC Sport - Accrington Stanley chairman Ilyas Khan steps down

May those involved hang their heads in shame.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
From the BBC website:
Khan revealed to BBC Sport this week that he had been a victim of racial abuse and had been attacked with stones since he took control of the club in March 2011.

BBC Sport - Accrington Stanley chairman Ilyas Khan steps down

May those involved hang their heads in shame.
Spot on there yerself, this guy has done nothing but good for Stanley and Accrington, wish there were more people in football like him
Old 05-05-2012, 08:53   #19

Yerself - and others. I feel i have to just clarify that there is absolutely NO CONNECTION - NONE WHATSOEVER between the BBC article that appeared a few days ago, and my stepping down from the Chairmanship and distributing my shares.

The BBC article on racism was actually the product of an extensive interview with the BBC reporter many months ago. I had no idea that it would appear on the day it did, and frankly I have my misgivings about the headline which is rather shrill and toneless. Certainly not in line with the usual standards employed by the BBC. The narrative in the body of the article itself is largely fine, so I cant really say too much about the reporter's and editors choice of why they zeroed in on this aspect of the conversation rather than anything else.

Turning back to the matter in hand, the AGM was planned some time back, and my commitment to distribute all of my shares to existing shareholders is now well documented over a 3 year period.

I am sorry that there is a perceived link, but I hope that you will understand that racism is just about the least of my worries at the club or in my personal life, and the article placed a great deal of emphasis on one part of a wide ranging and diverse conversation about many the many positive things that I hold dear in connection with Accrington, the club, and my memories of my beloved home town.

I would just add that I have never felt anything but warmth and support from fans in the ground, and in fact support from the fans has always been almost embarrassingly strong ! I am first and last an Accringtonian and Lancastrian. And proudly so !

with my respectful best wishes to you all,
Ilyas
expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36   #20
God Member

Top bloke. Accrington Ilyas...
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:01   #21
Full Member+

Known as "the club that wouldn't die. Without Ilyas Accrington Stanley would have been dead and buried months ago. Can't thank you enough Ilyas , I salute you.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21   #22
Full Member+

Just to echo what everyone else has said - heartfelt thanks to a true gentleman!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:29   #23
Full Member+

Typical of Ilyas to do just what he promised. I really hope that all he's done for the club will never be forgotten.
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:42   #24
Senior Member+

Ilyas, can I thank you from the bottom of my heart for saving my love of my home town football team. If I could have done it, I would have done the same as you, but unfortunately, finances aren't quite in your league. However, I was fortunate enough to have a share bought for me for the SOS campaign a while back, and it is something I will cherish forever. Stanley fans, wherever they may be, will be forever in your debt. Look forward to you being amongst the fans in the Clayton End again.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:49   #25
Resting in Peace

If ever a man deserved a statue in his honour outside a football ground it is you, Ilyas. I will never forget that dark night of high drama outside the Crown when you drove non-stop up from the big smoke to be with the fans and reassure us that the club was not going down the tubes as long as you had a bone in your body. You are a great man and the best ambassador the town of Accrington could ever wish for.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 13:09   #26
Full Member+

I'd just like to echo the sentiments of this thread and offer my sincere thanks to Ilyas !!

Without Ilyas and his backing, the club would have suffered the infamy of going out of business twice. He has steered the good ship Stanley from the troubled waters of potential financial ruin toward the calmer waters of relative financial stability.

For me...Ilyas is " Mr. Accrington Stanley "....Legend !!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 16:31   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
If ever a man deserved a statue in his honour outside a football ground it is you, Ilyas. I will never forget that dark night of high drama outside the Crown when you drove non-stop up from the big smoke to be with the fans and reassure us that the club was not going down the tubes as long as you had a bone in your body. You are a great man and the best ambassador the town of Accrington could ever wish for.
Can't dispute a word of that.
Old 05-05-2012, 17:43   #28

What Peter and yourself did/do for Stanley is above and beyond but thats what happens when you get involved with what is the red and white roller coaster the club just gets under your skin, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the help you have given the biggest little football club in the world, all the very best to you Ilyas and lets have you on the drum on the Clayton end next season.

Respect mate from the best club and the best fans in the country.
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 17:58   #29
God Member

Thank you, Ilyas. For all your humble reflection of all forms of praise, the fact is that we would not have a club to support if it weren't for you. You not only saved the club in the immediate sense but along with Peter gave it life and hope for the future. You have done your town proud.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 18:04   #30
Super Moderator

Ilyas, as others have said, if it wasn't for you, there would be no Stanley.

We'll never be able to thank you enough.

From a fellow Accringtonian...and, like you, proud of it!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..