Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 05:58   #1

community and fan ownership of Accrington Stanley

Colleagues, Friends,

With the new season well and truly underway I wanted to use this bulletin board as a way to invite fans and members of the broader community to a meeting in Accrington that I hope to set up in early September with the express purpose of advancing the concept of community and fan ownership of ASFC.

This is a direct follow up to my commitment, made earlier in the summer, during the bulletin board conversation about ground and infrastructure development. At that time I promised to get back with more detail and more momentum that I felt could benefit the town and the club, and I also promised at that time to try and be as inclusive as possible in these conversations so that anyone who felt they wished to contribute could do so.

By way of introduction I would make the following points:

1. One of the reasons for this message is that I hope we can set up a time that maximises the attendance of as many people as possible. In the past we have set up meetings, and then informed people, only to find large numbers unable to attend. Hopefully the use of this wonderful bulletin board will allow people to come back to me (PM me or direct response on the board) with suggestions on when and where we hold the meeting.

2. Its important to have an inclusive and transparent agenda. I hope that through this bulletin board we can come up with suggestions for agenda items that then mean our final agenda will be meaningful and will benefit from input from a wide variety of people.

3. I hope to invite the club's auditors, Pierce, to attend. If we are to be serious in our hope of creating a long term sustainable club that works with and for the community, then it will take professional structuring.

4. The ownership of the club is very different from management. I would like to request that we focus our meeting on the subject of community and fan based ownership, and then also extend to governance (transparency, accountability, sustainability). Only thereafter can we credibly address the issue of long term management.

As you know, my view is that ASFC belongs to the community. With the events of the past few years behind us, I hope I am not wrong in hoping that we can blaze a new trail and who knows, even a new model. The club needs the support of the broadest widest constituency of people in this area. If we are to get better crowds and more sponsorship, then we must restructure from the top.

I close by highlighting the obvious. Its possible none of this will lead anywhere and we must manage our expectations, however each journey starts with a first step, and I hope you will agree that our club has now got to the stage where an issue of this magnitude and importance can be debated with a positive attitude and with as inclusive a participation as possible. It also helps that I have been able, in the past few months, to acquire a greater working knowledge of the dynamics of the club's operations as well as seeing how different models work overseas.

I do hope that the current management of the club in the form of Mr Heys and Mr O'Neil might come along as well, but this initiative is entirely personal to me, though benefitting, as you would expect, from conversations with lots of people.

More to come on this.

In the meantime can i request that we try and limit our conversation to this board and not by PM unless you absolutely feel you need to chat direct. as always my email address ilyas.khan and my mobile is 07826 600600. i will always try to answer calls and reply to emails. Be aware i am still in Asia till next weds.

Ilyas
expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-08-2010, 06:38   #2
Super Moderator

Re: community and fan ownership of Accrington Stanley

Ilyas

As always THANK YOU, and what a FANtastic vision for OUR club

See you at the Macc game
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06   #3
God Member

Nice one Ilyas - looking forward to this meeting. As you're back for the Macc game, I trust you will also be here for the Carling cup vs Newcastle?
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19   #4
Resting in Peace

Stanley are lucky to have a man like Ilyas in their corner, with just the interests of the club and its fans at heart
Old 12-08-2010, 09:21   #5
Senior Member+

Great to hear from you ilyas !...and an even greater vision for 'our' club..
The hope is that every Fan of The Reds will be there to support you !... WE will !!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:24   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Stanley are lucky to have a man like Ilyas in their corner, with just the interests of the club and its fans at heart
Jaysay - Your best quote ever

.............& so true A big Thank you Ilyas

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:37   #7
Senior Member+

Ilyas, thanks again for all you have done for this small but mighty club. Early September for a meeting is good for me as I am on holidays until the 20th and only going up to Northumberland for part of this, hopefully then I will make the meeting.

PS I am not a secret Geordie in disguise, I am going to see my grandchildren who live 18 miles north of Newcastle so no connections please.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:24   #8
God Member

Am still having palpitations at the prospect of Newcastle Utd but this suggestion can't be forgotten/ignored/lost in all the euphoria over the next couple of weeks. It's vital the ownership of the club is secured by and for all its fans and, if Ilyas and others can achieve this, it will be a bigger result than beating the Geordie Giants..
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:52   #9
God Member

What a vision!! I will attend on any date/time, like the Newcastle game, I wouldn't miss it for the world!!!!

Thanks again Ilyas.

(TUESDAY 3rd NOVEMBER 2009........A PROUD DAY FOR ALL STANLEY FANS)

Messrs Khan and Marsden I thank you

Thursday 31st. March 2011, a new dawn over the Crown ground.
www.dirtyhatband.co.uk
ukcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15   #10
Full Member+

In or out of the country Ilyas as Accrington Stanley at heart , without him we would not be here today. A meeting , brilliant, venue ,well how about Accrington town hall ? or a school hall, depends on how many people attend.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 13:40   #11

the town hall or a school or church hall sounds like a great idea if we get the numbers of people who wish to attend.

if people have ideas about the matters that should consitute and make up an agenda or discussion points, please do let me know. i have some email traffic already (thanks a lot) so i understand that some of you may wish to conduct that part of the conversation bliaterally rather than on a discussion board. i am very comfortable with that, but would continue to advocate this bulletin board since it has a remarkable way of ensuring transparency (both of intent and action).

i will come back with some ideas on the agenda, and some sense of dates that seem to fit later on next week.

Also, Ultras and official fan club - please think of yourselves as a part of this process. For all kinds of reasons you are critical to the success and future of the club.
Old 12-08-2010, 13:48   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriate View Post

Also, Ultras and official fan club - please think of yourselves as a part of this process. For all kinds of reasons you are critical to the success and future of the club.
Im sure the supporters club members will be interested, myself will be present once its set. Like back in November im sure every stanley fan from any denomination, we all [osc, assf, ultras, accyweb & general stanley fans or members of the public - even other footy fans] be it will be keen to see our towns club move forward for its longevity

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 14:03   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well if the dates ok, fine wi me. may be n idea, if not already one? fer ya to contact local rags, once a date is sorted?
Old 12-08-2010, 14:05   #14

Accy mad, in so many ways i think this is very exciting - the debate about football club ownership and sustainability outside the exalted sphere of the top premiership clubs, has been quite intense. I am hoping that we might be able to show that a small but proud and determined club in the North West, the true home of football, can re-cast itself.

i know there are risks here, and i know there will be people who dont like the idea of a club not having an "owner", but the long term benefits to our town and community are immense. fortune favours the brave, or, as a yonmon will attest, action begets action. Inaction begets sloth.

i think we ought to really go for it, but in a systematic and clear sighted way. putting ownership and governance to one side, and then hiring decent day to day management is the key in my view. Having lived through the past few months, I dont think we have an alternative.
Old 12-08-2010, 14:47   #15
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
the town hall or a school or church hall sounds like a great idea if we get the numbers of people who wish to attend
The upstairs room at Bold Street Club is always available

Last edited by Neil; 13-08-2010 at 07:42. Reason: fix quote
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..