Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Dagenham Match Thread

Hope so, Macca, but the odds must be massively on their run ending there!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41   #17
Senior Member+

Smudgie seems to mirror how I see it.
For me tho,it's the structure/shape that jumps out.
Unless you have two tremendous athletic players in the middle of the park,then you have to play three in there with one always holding,the other two allowed to join in.
If you look at goals we conceed,gaps just open up in central areas (caught forward/switching off ).
The holding player allows your cbs to split slightly and that encourages your fullbacks to join in.
Playing two wingers in the modern game just doesn't work,as when you don't have the ball it creates spaces for the opposition to pick you off.
Murph started righ wing yesterday,and I presume was detailed to tuck in when defending,but it just didn't happen for me.
Pace is also a worry,as when your up against it,the either drop deeper or start down the road of suicidal defending.
Positives,the keeper and the centre forward .
Summary- play 4-3-3 /proper holding midfielder and more pace KTF
baldy likes this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:13   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Pace is also a worry,as when your up against it,the either drop deeper or start down the road of suicidal defending.
Positives,the keeper and the centre forward .
Summary- play 4-3-3 /proper holding midfielder and more pace KTF
Agree with you there F 19... but more worried by the massive gaps in midfield which allows the opposing midfielders to virtually run the show and eventually play the 'killer' pass which, as we saw last night, ends up with the ball in the back of the net and defeat for The Reds..
I'm also concerned about the obvious fact that some of our players are now displaying a lack of the basic skills needed to succeed at FL level, and worse than this, letting lapses of concentration creep into their game at crucial times... gosh !, on one or two occasions we both used the same expression together in relation to one our strikers ... ' He's just not with it !'.... and he wasn't !.
A lot of questions to be answered ?..... by whom though ????.

( ps.. You were very quiet last night, my little 'hello' wave went unnoticed...and I missed your half-time analysis so much !.... honestly !).
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:49   #19
bdc

Odejayi was the only real player to come out of the game with any credit, he has been a decent signing but he badly needs a better strike partner than Shay. If Webber isn't going to be fit, we need to recall Carver and get him playing up front.

We didn't start with any wingers and had players playing in unfamiliar positions such as Hatfield. When Will played off the main striker towards the end of last season, it changed our season around and results started getting better. It would have been better to have played Hatfield and Odejayi up front and have had new guy and Naismith on the wings plus Mahoney should've started instead of Miller.

The squad we have on paper is one of the best we have had for a while but the manager seems unable to get a good performance out of them. I wonder if it might be worth trying to bring an experienced assistant for JB to be mentored by. I think we need to stick with JB for now but time is running out for him.
cashman and Chubbyman like this.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 20:09   #20

Odejay needs carver.. Are u sure.

Gray had played 3 times in his proper position as a 2nd striker and scored twice, surely that's the partnership that JB needs to persevere with. McCarten is a winger, he's lively and his pace is dangerous but he never gets in goal scoring positions.

Talking of partnerships Aldred and Atkinson doesn't work when Winnard is back fit he needs to play.

New lad looks lively, midfield is poor, prefer Bav in goal and liddle at left back
yonmon and football19 like this.
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..