Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2008, 10:25   #166
Full Member+

Re: Darlington game - commentary on 2BR

a more encouraging performance but still some problem areas:

1) Throw ins: We really don't seem to have a clue. there was no movement from stanley players. eg. we had a throw level with the edge of the darlo area, todd gave the ball to leam and then walked away head down to have a chat with craney. didnt look back or try to run into a position. the rest of the team stood still, leam waited prob 90secs then threw it back to edwards(i think)

2) as picked up on earlier - wasted opportunities at set plays. out of five corners 2 went straight out, 1 didnt beat 1st man and one at the end where all our players were up in the box brought groans of disgust from the crowd as craney played it short to the edge of the box to mcgivern, who miscued but would have been extremely lucky to have blasted through the crowded box. darlo ran the ball up the other end and almost scored. this summed up our complete lack of ability to benefit from a good position. what have they been doing in training for the last week?

3) the rocky situation. it could be coincidence that we improved once he had been taken off injured, but it was noticable how much doughty (who had a very solid debut) had been covering both central defensive positions beforehand. branch (yes him) was much more solid and perhaps needs to be given one more chance in that position (but where was webb??)

4) lack of sustained pressure and/or inability to shoot when in the box. i know we were the away team against a top 3 side, but it really did look a case of if we got a break we had to take the 1st chance of a shot before it all broke down. for all the possession 2nd half, a lot of it was fannying about on edge of box while darlo got everyone back. this is where we miss roscoe.

sorry to be negative, it was actually a decent stanley performance and there are many positives: mark king(awesome), doughty(solid) and even branch was better than previously. when craney and todd are back to full match fitness things may improve further, but only if we sort out the problems above
Old 30-01-2008, 11:00   #167
Resting In Peace

Last season we had the worst defence in the Football League yet last night the back four consisted of three of last year's and a young loanee from Blackpool. Hardly an improvement. No sign of Roberts or Webb - both who were signed by Coley. Coley rates himself as having a good knowledge of defenders and defensive tactics - at the forum last Friday he was asked about his defensive knowledge and he replied "Ever heard about poacher turned gamekeeper" meaning that him as a striker knows what qualities a defender should have, well I don't think that this "poacher turned gamekeeper" theory is working and I don't think it has worked for him for years. Although Mark King played well last night, we signed him as a defender but we played him as a left winger, Craney is a midfielder but we played him as a striker. Why oh why can't we play players in their rightful positions? How many times will Coley slag off Rocky and still put him in the team?
If Rocky is fit for Saturday what's the betting he is in the starting eleven?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 11:07   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
Looking for fresh singing talent for this years Barrowford Show to sing in the Karaoke Competition are you interested
Are you trying to get the Barrowford Show a bad reputation
Old 30-01-2008, 11:07   #169
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nixon View Post
Hey! Please don't diss my good friend Kaz Faz. She sings like an angel. A fallen one at that though LOL!

Listen in on Saturday, maybe I'll play her some more.

Unless she comes on here and shouts at me. He he
lucky i missed that bit then was that after the freebie sandwiches ??

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 12:22   #170
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
1) Throw ins: We really don't seem to have a clue. there was no movement from stanley players. eg. we had a throw level with the edge of the darlo area, todd gave the ball to leam and then walked away head down to have a chat with craney. didnt look back or try to run into a position. the rest of the team stood still, leam waited prob 90secs then threw it back to edwards(i think)
Yep, we've been saying this for ages.

People keep talking about lack of resources etc at the club. But basic things like throw-ins and other points you raise have nothing to do with resources.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 14:21   #171
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Coley rates himself as having a good knowledge of defenders and defensive tactics - at the forum last Friday he was asked about his defensive knowledge and he replied "Ever heard about poacher turned gamekeeper" meaning that him as a striker knows what qualities a defender should have, well I don't think that this "poacher turned gamekeeper" theory is working and I don't think it has worked for him for years.
that was me that asked that question...basically trying to get the point across that we have no one who thinks defensively amongst the coaching staff!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 14:21   #172

On a positive note weve now gone over 89 minutes without conceding a goal, when was the last time we did that!!!
Old 30-01-2008, 15:30   #173
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
that was me that asked that question...basically trying to get the point across that we have no one who thinks defensively amongst the coaching staff!!
Yes, and he fobbed you off with the garbage about poaching and gamekeepers. Coley and Jimmy Bell know nothing about defending. We will be lucky to sign any decent defenders because decent defenders won't listen to Coley coaching them when he doesn't know what he is talking about. We have had five clean sheets this season out of twenty eight league games, we have conceded fifty goals - the worst in the Football League, we had the worst defensive record in the Football League last season, what does Coley do about it - signs defenders, falls out with them, drops them and then ships them out - with one exception of course our dependable Rocky (are you Titus Bramble in disguise).
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 20:04   #174
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeast View Post
a more encouraging performance but still some problem areas:

2) as picked up on earlier - wasted opportunities at set plays. out of five corners 2 went straight out, 1 didnt beat 1st man and one at the end where all our players were up in the box brought groans of disgust from the crowd as craney played it short to the edge of the box to mcgivern, who miscued
To quote the Northern Echo on one corner:

"the corner was woefully wasted with the kind of effort sure to end up on a bloopers video".

See:

Quakers March On As Wright Strikes After Just 29 Seconds (from The Northern Echo)

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 20:59   #175
God Member

Gone down another place tonight, now 17th Barnet won their game.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 22:25   #176
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Gone down another place tonight, now 17th Barnet won their game.
Yes, but it was against Hereford.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 22:44   #177
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
(are you Titus Bramble in disguise).
That made me laugh all over again....well if we chant it, it was coley's idea

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..