Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shakermaker

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2013, 16:42   #1
Resting in Peace

Exeter thread

Not at the races in the first half with the defence all at sea. Exeter's movement and pace too good for us. Much better second half and a bit unlucky not to get a draw in the end. Deano had a 'mare after his early booking. Naismith and Mingoia the pick of the rest but I think Danny should have been subbed earlier. Fun game to watch due to the conditions . Kay badly missed IMHO
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-12-2013, 16:56   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Exeter thread

I don't think Stanley were beaten today,we gave em the ruddy match. No-way can yeh give a team a 3 goal start n expect to get owt, 99% of the time yeh won't FACT. Agree wi redraine we did deserve a draw, but how many times in footy does that happen!!! Could not fathom why Liddle wasn't playing? since his return hes linked very well wi mingoia, Thought naylor was way off the mark today n Liddle done nowt to be omitted in my view.
Old 14-12-2013, 17:41   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Could not fathom why Liddle wasn't playing? since his return hes linked very well wi mingoia, Thought naylor was way off the mark today n Liddle done nowt to be omitted in my view.
Spot on. Commented to Valarian exactly this before the start. Good cross for Naismith's goal though, even if Joe thought it was Joyce's cross!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 18:38   #4

Agree with above, big mistake to leave Liddle out for Nailor, IMO he slows everything down and is nowhere near mobile enough

Poor all over 1st half especially at the back and keeper, but tbf they've been superb for weeks and just had one of those days. midfield didn't get near anyone but I must say it doesn't help against teams that try and play we have mingoia stuck wide left kal wide right and Murphy leaving Joyce on his own.

2nd big mistake by JB was to take Gray off instead of Webber. Webber gave us nothing today (not for the 1st time) whilst gray was at the centre of our purple patch for 20 mins in the 2nd half and I thought even the players were surprised when gray went off instead of webber, and it actually took the sting out of our attack.

Lastly Naismith is an absolute enigma. He goes from looking like world beater to looking like a player who has no idea, I think the obvious 3rd sub was McCartney out wide right.
FrankMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 20:15   #5
God Member

Smile Re: Exeter thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Spot on. Commented to Valairian exactly this before the start. Good cross for Naismith's goal though, even if Joe thought it was Joyce's cross!
It was hard to tell with all the wind and rain

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 20:27   #6
God Member

Well, that escalated quickly.

Thought our key weaknesses today were shape and fitness. The latter of which I can only attribute to certain players ageing and others playing in their first true campaign of competitive football. Even taking that into account the break should have given us a decent rest.

Exeter are a very good side and played between our lines with ease due to our static positioning. Tisdale outclassed Beattie tactically even though his dress sense was comparable to a park flasher.

I can't see the argument for playing two up-front in the modern game. We leave a gaping space between our midfield and forwards with Joyce/Murphy pulled miles apart and wingers too happy to hug the touchline. In order to retain the ball when we're not playing well we must sacrifice a man up top to play someone behind the striker. We didn't need both Gray and Webber today - we needed a midfielder with appetite and the aptitude to work between the midfield and forward line. Someone like Will Hatfield would be perfect.

Overall I don't believe we necessarily deserved anything out of the game but were unlucky not to snatch a draw with the amount of chances we had. Mingoia showed a great attitude and would be my man of the match on the red side. After as bad a start as you can ever have, perhaps reducing the impact on GD to -1 was the best we could get.

Responsibility on Beattie today, improvements to make.
football19 likes this.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 21:26   #7

3 mistakes for the goals - another day we'd have walked the game 2-1

We missed Kayode but Murphy and Naithsmith had cracking games.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 05:48   #8
Senior Member+

Didn't go the game yesterday,but just watched the goals on TV.
Goals could have been defended better but exeters movement deserves a little credit and they must have had us watched.
We now play a very high line (trying to reduce the space in central areas),so to play against this,you have two forwards on the centre backs and one drops off to receive the ball whilst the other looks to make a third man run behind the other cb
To play this way you need to get the ball on the deck,so others may comment on this ?
Goal 1 - webber let cb have a free header and keeper shouldn't have come
Goal 2- toms man come short ,great touch,spun and left him for dead
Goal3-keeper should save,but made up with pen save,
It looks like we missed our focal point early on (big key ),but it's a game we could have nicked.
KTF !
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..