Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2007, 19:04   #46
God Member

Re: Fancy a trip to preston's football museum?

Well, yesterday I was PMing Macca in a slight panic wondering if enough people would turn up. Today I was absolutely thrilled when 35 people showed up for the coach. The idea to go to the museum came out of the meeting with the Heritage Lottery people ages ago and they suggested we did it but I have to be honest, I was never quite sure whether we'd get the enthusiasm for it.

We set off at just after 11 and it took about 3/4 hour to get there. The mood was very quiet on the coach and I was still unsure about how this would go. When we got there I think everyone was struck by the scale the exhibition is on - every corner is packed with information and memorabilia - and I think everyone seemed impressed by it all. We were welcomed very warmly by Dave, who also gave us a talk later on which was informative and fun too. So, thanks to the museum staff for their help.

As I walked around the mood quickly started to shift to general happiness and interest in the exhibits. Some people whizzed around the museumy bit and headed to the games room, others took an hour or so and read everything.

People started chatting, not just to their little groups but to everyone else as well. The two young lads from Moorhead were a delight and proof that some teenagers are capable of more than grunting. They had a great time and I spoke to them on the coach on the way home, they too had been unsure as the day started but were having a fab time towards the end.

I know that museums aren't everyone's cup of tea but this is a really good one. Everyone that I spoke to seemed to have had a really good day and got something out of it. The forms have all been returned and are great for the project.

If you missed this because you thought 'museums aren't for me' well you missed out, big style.

Thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome and if this is a sign of how the project will go then I think we're in for a great, no let's make that fantastic, project.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-10-2007, 20:37   #47
Senior Member+

Didn't know, until today, that this is the way to tackle museums. Go mob handed, when it's quiet, with like minded people. All the touchstones of British football are there, and I've met some of the legends of this messageboard, (strangely not lancsdave and cmonstanley though, too shy?).

I've seen a lot of faces over the last ten years following Stanley. I'd love to see those faces tell at least one story, put in a couple of photos, maybe, repeated 2 or 300 times. It'd be a pretty powerful set of images, and, I think unique in the realm of football history.

I'm going to leave it here, have a think about your favourite Stanley story.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.

Last edited by Oggy; 20-10-2007 at 20:46.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 21:02   #48
God Member

You're right Oggy, I was talking to a lady today (so sorry but I don't know everyone's names yet) and I asked her why she was a Stanley fan - she said, 'because I've always been one', but that's not the real reason - and it's the real reason that we're trying to get to. Everyone has a story.

People have a great passion for the club but we want to know what it was that created that passion. Was it a family tradition? What was the first match you went to? Did Stanley win? Did you used to walk to the match or catch the bus? Do you remember any key games? Did you choose your kids names after a player? All these stories seem really trivial but these are the ones we're aiming for!

There was a picture in the exhibition today of someone getting married on a football pitch. I pointed it out to a few people. It's that kind of thing we need to look for. No matter how trivial your story may appear to you, it will strike a chord with other people.

Old 20-10-2007, 23:41   #49
God Member

Really enjoyed today even with my ever so delicate head

Very informative, had a good laugh at the spitting image puppets and was amazed at some of the top class exhibits..things like the 66 world cup football, numerous cups including previous FA cups.. really interesting

and the interactive stuff was great for kids and adults alike

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 12:20   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
You're right Oggy, I was talking to a lady today (so sorry but I don't know everyone's names yet) and I asked her why she was a Stanley fan - she said, 'because I've always been one', but that's not the real reason - and it's the real reason that we're trying to get to. Everyone has a story.

People have a great passion for the club but we want to know what it was that created that passion. Was it a family tradition? What was the first match you went to? Did Stanley win? Did you used to walk to the match or catch the bus? Do you remember any key games? Did you choose your kids names after a player? All these stories seem really trivial but these are the ones we're aiming for!

There was a picture in the exhibition today of someone getting married on a football pitch. I pointed it out to a few people. It's that kind of thing we need to look for. No matter how trivial your story may appear to you, it will strike a chord with other people.
Very true Gayle & Oggy, i've received a few pm's regarding being willing to submit their stories & sounds good as to what i've heard so far - still would love to hear more, like you said those that think no thats not interesting mmm u never know

Pm me or any other of the steering group committee or if you prefer or non members email to [email protected]

Keep Accrington & Stanley on the map

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 12:52   #51
God Member

Some photos from yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Just about to leave.jpg (35.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 12 clubs.jpg (25.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg a display.jpg (17.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg an exhibit.jpg (22.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg The list of the founder members of the league.jpg (30.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg the play room.jpg (28.9 KB, 10 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..