Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 23:25   #1
Senior Member+

Fans Mindset for this season

Taking all things into account, 22nd place would be a great achievement this season.
Thus, we as the fans of Stanley need to change our mindset (and before I start to preach I will put my hand up as one of the most guilty of this sin!)

We need to be very patient and build the players up - we wont have the funds to bring anymore in
we need to encourage the players and management and support their decisions, even if substitutions or tactics seem bizarre - we wont get a better management team than JC and JB.
We need to make the crown ground a fortress and use its limited facilities/conditions to our strength
We need to temporarily forget last season achievements, and make ourselves aware than finishing 22nd or higher is the equivalent to winning the league.

lets change our mindsets, lets make survival our aspiration and more importantly, lets treat every game as a cup final/6 pointer.
And when we hit 50 points, we can celebrate.

Despite league 2 looking open in terms of a winner, it also looks highly competitive from top to bottom.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-08-2010, 23:36   #2
God Member

Re: Fans Mindset for this season

Amen dude.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 23:53   #3

Never Under estimate the mighty Stanley!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:03   #4
Senior Member+

For a fan that may be O.K. but I hope the players have higher expectations.??
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47   #5

I will settle for 50 points and the FA cup
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:19   #6

At this minute I'm just hoping the embargo will allow us to start the season as not sure if we have enough registered to field a team on saturday. If we are legit to play in the football league then am happy for the future to be in the hands of John 'n Jimmy to work their magic.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:34   #7
God Member

Thumbs up Re: Fans Mindset for this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon View Post
At this minute I'm just hoping the embargo will allow us to start the season as not sure if we have enough registered to field a team on saturday. If we are legit to play in the football league then am happy for the future to be in the hands of John 'n Jimmy to work their magic.
Ditto!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:52   #8
Senior Member+

I would like to concentrate on the football this year and not the .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........:-)
Old 02-08-2010, 14:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsFc62 View Post
Never Under estimate the mighty Stanley!!!!!!
i second that! i love being the underdogs! no pressure =]
Gribbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 14:20   #10
God Member

Smile Re: Fans Mindset for this season

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweiy View Post
I would like to concentrate on the football this year and not the .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........:-)
Ditto Loweiy

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 20:22   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Taking all things into account, 22nd place would be a great achievement this season.
That's just the place where the Sky Sports experts put us.
Sky Sports | Football News | League 2 | Accrington Stanley | League Two preview
Predicted table
Rotherham
Gillingham
Bradford
Chesterfield
Wycombe
Lincoln
Burton
Port Vale
Aldershot
Northampton
Morecambe
Hereford
Torquay
Stevenage
Crewe
Bury
Oxford
Shrewsbury
Southend
Stockport
Barnet
Accrington
Cheltenham
Macclesfield

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 20:57   #12

Surviving in the Football League, is, and will be a great achievement. That a club the size of Stanley can compete with the likes of Bradford, Gillingham, Port Vale, Shrewsbury etc. on a weekly basis is a testament to the great work being done by JC and JB.

That clubs such as Grimsby, Wrexham and Luton are in a league below also shows the outstanding achievement of this small east lancashire Club.

Roll on Saturday and let the festivities begin.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 21:48   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thus, we as the fans of Stanley need to change our mindset (and before I start to preach I will put my hand up as one of the most guilty of this sin!)

We need to be very patient and build the players up - we wont have the funds to bring anymore in
we need to encourage the players and management and support their decisions, even if substitutions or tactics seem bizarre - we wont get a better management team than JC and JB.
We need to make the crown fortress and use its limited facilities/conditions to our strength
We need to temporarily forget last season achievements, and make ourselves aware than finishing 22nd or higher is the equivalent to winning the league.

lets change our mindsets, lets make survival our aspiration and more importantly, lets treat every game as a cup final/6 pointer.
And when we hit 50 points, we can celebrate.

Despite league 2 looking open in terms of a winner, it also looks highly competitive from top to bottom.
Wearing my Red-coloured spectacles..and in BOLD letters and even BOLDER words .can I predict that John Coleman will not fail in his usual quest to 'do-better' than in the previous season !!...
If he doesn't I will eat my....well not quite !
BUT I AM CONFIDENT !!..

'ON STANLEY !..ON TO GREATER THINGS !'
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 00:36   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
finishing 22nd or higher is the equivalent to winning the league.
MY personal opinion....... agree that whilst it's going to be a hard season, 22nd has to be the very,very bare minimum. There's far worse sides in this league. Talk about 22nd being the equivalent of winning the league is a bit like saying " well ,we might as well go along with what everyone is saying, we'll probably go down, but let's give it a damn good go !!"

Let's not get grandiose ideas, however, set the target too low, and you're in danger of setting the acceptable standard or result as too low. To me, the mindset has to be..."52 points is the goal, after that , the earlier we achieve that 52 points, then we can revise the targets." I prefer 52 points, as it is a target with a little more insurance and makes survival a lot more certain

Motivation won't be a problem, as we all know we've got the best two men at the helm who will get the best out of what they have to work with.

Added to that, I'm sure our Management and players alike, will have more than enough motivation provided to them by all the other gloom and doom merchants, namely the press and the pundits, who have fully expected us to go down every season since our return to the league.

Looking at the league, I'd think that 17th or 18th is a bit more realistic a minimum target, as there's at least four sides in the list in League Two, discounting Cheltenham & Macc (who will probably be down there in the mix )who I'd expect us to perform as well as, if not better than.

Assuming that the registration of those we've agreed contracts goes ahead, I happen to think, that we're only a couple of players short of a side that will better last season.By that, I mean a couple of strikers and another centre half, along the lines of what Coley has already said.

To me, finishing in a better position than last term, would be an achievement. I expect a long, hard season, but would like to think that we'll be safe come next April '11 and looking forward to building onwards and upwards for season 2011-12 !!!!

Coley will, assuming the wage constraints permit, be able to sign a couple on loan and there is of course, the mystery midfielder who is due to sign, who if the L.E.T (Friday 30/07/10) is to be believed, is apparently such a prospect, that the club are unwilling to diverge upon this lads identity until all the signing details are completed.

So, summing up, I'll settle for safe for early April, 52 points +, a decent cup run and a few quid in the bank and a few more straying down to the Crown to bump up the overall attendances..........

As the great man says..... "keep the faith" ......he certainly has or else he himself (and J.B.) would have gone elsewhere themselves!!!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:36   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
MY personal opinion....... agree that whilst it's going to be a hard season, 22nd has to be the very,very bare minimum. There's far worse sides in this league. Talk about 22nd being the equivalent of winning the league is a bit like saying " well ,we might as well go along with what everyone is saying, we'll probably go down, but let's give it a damn good go !!"

Let's not get grandiose ideas, however, set the target too low, and you're in danger of setting the acceptable standard or result as too low. To me, the mindset has to be..."52 points is the goal, after that , the earlier we achieve that 52 points, then we can revise the targets." I prefer 52 points, as it is a target with a little more insurance and makes survival a lot more certain

Motivation won't be a problem, as we all know we've got the best two men at the helm who will get the best out of what they have to work with.

Added to that, I'm sure our Management and players alike, will have more than enough motivation provided to them by all the other gloom and doom merchants, namely the press and the pundits, who have fully expected us to go down every season since our return to the league.

Looking at the league, I'd think that 17th or 18th is a bit more realistic a minimum target, as there's at least four sides in the list in League Two, discounting Cheltenham & Macc (who will probably be down there in the mix )who I'd expect us to perform as well as, if not better than.

Assuming that the registration of those we've agreed contracts goes ahead, I happen to think, that we're only a couple of players short of a side that will better last season.By that, I mean a couple of strikers and another centre half, along the lines of what Coley has already said.

To me, finishing in a better position than last term, would be an achievement. I expect a long, hard season, but would like to think that we'll be safe come next April '11 and looking forward to building onwards and upwards for season 2011-12 !!!!

Coley will, assuming the wage constraints permit, be able to sign a couple on loan and there is of course, the mystery midfielder who is due to sign, who if the L.E.T (Friday 30/07/10) is to be believed, is apparently such a prospect, that the club are unwilling to diverge upon this lads identity until all the signing details are completed.

So, summing up, I'll settle for safe for early April, 52 points +, a decent cup run and a few quid in the bank and a few more straying down to the Crown to bump up the overall attendances..........

As the great man says..... "keep the faith" ......he certainly has or else he himself (and J.B.) would have gone elsewhere themselves!!!!
And you will be there to see all this come to fruition I hope Dav ?...It would make at least one of my friends very happy to know this !.

RIP... STAN SPENCER a true Fan of our club who worked extremely hard on it's behalf !!

Last edited by yonmon; 03-08-2010 at 06:42.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..