Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2008, 11:45   #1
God Member

favourite away ground and why?

whats your favourite away ground you have visited with Stanley and why?

many grounds hold fond memories for different reasons but I always enjoyed Halifax. A nice local ground where we could take decent numbers and that big banking was excellent. We always made good noise there and never seemed to take a beating - I wouldn't mind a return visit for a cup game or summat.
Old 25-08-2008, 13:23   #2

Re: favourite away ground and why?

tooting & mitcham 1993, what a great place to go for a pre season game, hot sunny day, pre game meal provided for by the home team, nigel jugroop's goal (one of the best goals scored by a Stanley player) i could go but i won't
ddevil2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 13:55   #3
Senior Member+

Le Stade de Gigg Bury,well Im biased since its FC United's homeAnd yes the thread mentions watching Stanley and I was there the first season back in football league as Macca and a few others will vouch for me
Old 25-08-2008, 13:56   #4
God Member

Burscough. Superb pies.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 14:01   #5

Thumbs up Re: favourite away ground and why?

my favourite ground is Morecambe,a friendly little ground,we seem to do quite well there.the people seem friendly and the pies are great (even if a little dear)always enjoy my visits there.

ACCY TILL I DIE..........................
afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 14:41   #6
Senior Member+

Mansfield , the stewards did it for me really!

But being truefull , i rather enjoy going to gigg lane, we always take plenty of fans and create some noise! + Not a bad little ground! :]

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 14:45   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

my favourite was always the "Shay" Halifaxs ground in the 50s, me dad took me to all away games, and always loved the Shay, it was n absolute dump, n all shale behind the goal were we stood, but they had the best "Pies" i ever tasted.
Old 25-08-2008, 14:46   #8
Senior Member+

Its a really tight choice between The Shay (Halifax) and Christie Park (Morecambe), Both grounds seem to be able to create an atmosphere really easily and both were local derbies but really friendly before and after. Christie probably edges it coz of the chippy!!!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 15:01   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddevil2006 View Post
tooting & mitcham 1993, what a great place to go for a pre season game, hot sunny day, pre game meal provided for by the home team, nigel jugroop's goal (one of the best goals scored by a Stanley player) i could go but i won't
was that the time when Chelsea and Millwall kicked off with each other on the tables next to us?
Old 25-08-2008, 15:06   #10

I enjoyed Morcomabe, but i thought the atmosphere at York (The last season in conference 2-4 winners) was a really good day out and will always remember that one, but nicest ground i would go for Kiddiminster, a very nice ground and nice bar and very friendly people.
Old 25-08-2008, 15:18   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
was that the time when Chelsea and Millwall kicked off with each other on the tables next to us?
I doubt it. There were only about 3 of us there!!
Old 25-08-2008, 15:38   #12
God Member

I can't remember the exact game but it was a pre-season and I am sure it was London-ish. We'd gone down on the train and there were about 10 of us outside a pub in the front beer garden. There were a load of 'lads' sat at a table and suddenly a transit van pulled up and a load of other 'lads' piled out and laid into the first lot. It all happened in about 10 seconds and they were gone.

I'm sure it was earlier than 93 though cos I thought I was only about 10/11 or so (putting it around 87)
Old 25-08-2008, 15:41   #13
Senior Member+

Are you sure it wasn't at Cliteroe in the John Duckworth Trophy?
Old 25-08-2008, 15:52   #14

tooting and mitcham 16th august 1993 we lost 3-2 as TM said their was about 50 there
as i remember there were placards on the lamp losts as we aproached the ground with the milk men are coming
ddevil2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 15:52   #15
God Member

ha-ha, I remember that one

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..