Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2017, 20:54   #31
God Member

Re: Final game of season

I think Lord D that 'the beef' is that Sky can dictate times when games are to be played & be hanged to any inconvenience to fans, just my opinion of course
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2017, 21:05   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
PS, I hope none of the people who complain about scheduling have, or have ever had, Sky TV (or equivalent).
If every Accy fan that had Sky Sports cancelled it or didn't have it in the first place it would mean the square root of hee haw to Sky. There target audience are armchair fans watching the premiership.

Plus most tech savvy people can get live football by other means anyway without paying Sky TV or equivalent
cashman and Chrisr like this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 00:50   #33
Full Member+

Let's not write the 5pm Satanage game off just yet! We could be going there needing points for league survival. How ironic would that be after last season's final game?
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 08:28   #34
I am Banned

This decision means that Newport county and Newport dragons rugby team kick off at the same time at the same ground
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 08:30   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
PS, I hope none of the people who complain about scheduling have, or have ever had, Sky TV (or equivalent).
used to have it but got rid years ago mainly due to them attempting to run football. if i can,t get to live football due to age or infermity i,ll just not bother.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 10:04   #36
Full Member+

If it is a dead game how many of the 40 fans going will it put off?

How many complained when games where put back to 3pm after getting floodlights etc? No it is seen as a traditional time, but it never was.

5.30pm isn't that bad, it would have been better at home, though as it is only really the away fans it affects badly. Having League 2 live on tv may bring more interest to league 2.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 10:41   #37

I've never had Sky, apart from paying to watch one match a few weeks ago.
Fair enough that 1,300 Accy fans make little difference, but if you have ever bought it then you have still sold your soul to the devil and must put up with the consequences.
I'm fairly ambivalent about the effects of Sky TV after a couple of decades of being completely outraged by it. There are, I grudgingly admit, a lot of positives from it.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 11:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Having League 2 live on tv may bring more interest to league 2.
If you believe that, you'll believe anything.
We all know football's sold its soul to the TV companies years ago.
Yes, it does bring some benefits to lower league teams, mainly in FA cup games when there's the possibility of a 'David v Goliath' match.
I can understand that clubs must toe the line and accept the status quo, they can't be seen to bite the hand that feeds them.
However, the real problem is there's too much football on TV, not too little.
To the extent that watching Premiership games from the lower reaches, Swansea, Sunderland, Hull, Watford etc. have become one big yawn.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:05   #39
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
If you believe that, you'll believe anything.
We all know football's sold its soul to the TV companies years ago.
Yes, it does bring some benefits to lower league teams, mainly in FA cup games when there's the possibility of a 'David v Goliath' match.
I can understand that clubs must toe the line and accept the status quo, they can't be seen to bite the hand that feeds them.
However, the real problem is there's too much football on TV, not too little.
To the extent that watching Premiership games from the lower reaches, Swansea, Sunderland, Hull, Watford etc. have become one big yawn.
It did the opposite taking cricket of main stream tv in 2005.

Stanley fans were proud to be on telly in the last promotion year, "we won it on sky etc" and were glad of the attention as crowds boomed.

Fact based, not the opinion of a moaner
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:52   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
This decision means that Newport county and Newport dragons rugby team kick off at the same time at the same ground
This will be the most interesting battle on May 6th.
Newport Dragons are scheduled to play Cardiff Blues at 17:15 in the final games of the ProGuiness league. All games to kick off at the same time.
As it was, having Newport County scheduled for a 3 pm on the same day was problematic enough.
Now they are playing at the same time!
Could make for an interesting game of two refs, four line judges, 26 a side, three points for a screamer over the bar...
Revived Red likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 11:45   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
three points for a screamer over the bar...
Has McCartan been transferred to Newport??
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 15:42   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Has McCartan been transferred to Newport??
I take it all back!!!!
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 24-01-2017, 14:56   #43
I am Banned

Both teams have been told by league bosses they are not allowed to change match date or kick off time so should be an entertaining match
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 20:39   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
Well I really hope that SKY choose to cover this match!
It should be a real spectacle.
I reckon that Newport...(ie either of the Newports!)....should sign on Akinfenwa as he would really be at home playing under the 'Duel Rules' on offer!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:20   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
playing under the 'Duel Rules' on offer!
Sword fighting too - it certainly should be entertaining.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..