Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2007, 06:46   #31
God Member

Re: First Item on sale at the OSC Do friday night

no problem Bagpuss. You can't please all of the people all of the time
Old 18-05-2007, 10:57   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
You are more right than me Chimer but I am not accepting incorrectness because it is deliberately ambiguous
I would say that Chimer is 100% right

Quote:
apostrophe after the s denotes belonging to; apostrophe before the s denotes a letter missing as in Stanley is; no apostrophe denotes plural.
Apostrophe before the s denotes belonging to and/or a letter missing i.e. Stanley's brands - brands belonging to Stanley
Stanley's not here - Stanley is not here

Personally I would prefer something with Stanley's on it than Stanleys' on it - There's only one Accy Stanley so how can you have a plural Stanley. Perhaps you could give me an example of a punctuation correct sentence with Stanleys' included in it.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 11:06   #33

Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me springs to mind.
Old 18-05-2007, 11:40   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Perhaps you could give me an example of a punctuation correct sentence with Stanleys' included in it.
on behalf of Accrington Stanley and Accrington Stanley Supporters Club, I would like to present the brand of the Stanleys' ......

clutching a bit

I've already stated that there is a deliberate ambiguity about it and that it is representative iof the many facets of Stanley and that it is an umbrella logo for the hoped for many guises of the brand.

IF...... the people involved in the organising of all this gear think that we should shift the apostrophe then we will (PM please) and maybe if more people had been involved then the debate about it would have been a bit longer than me offering my reason why it was done and everybody being happy with that.

That makes the lighters more valuable now if they are going to be a one-off .

Personally, I prefer it to be wrong (but right for my reasons)
Old 18-05-2007, 11:50   #35
Full Member+

I've been present at these meetings and as far as I could tell, we were all happy with it and understood the reasons for it.

I back Macca on this one - personally I prefer it this way too.

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 11:53   #36
Resting In Peace

[quote=maccawozzagod;426562]on behalf of Accrington Stanley and Accrington Stanley Supporters Club, I would like to present the brand of the Stanleys' ......quote]

Macca - Sureley it should read 'I would like to present the Stanleys' brand' This would indicate that there is more than one Stanley and that it is the brand of many Stanleys, as there is only one Accy Stanley it should be Stanley's brand, but it is up to you and yours, but personally I don't like seeing apostrophes in the wrong place
Old 18-05-2007, 11:56   #37
Full Member+

[quote=JEFF;426573]
Quote:
on behalf of Accrington Stanley and Accrington Stanley Supporters Club, I would like to present the brand of the Stanleys' ......quote]

Macca - Sureley it should read 'I would like to present the Stanleys' brand' This would indicate that there is more than one Stanley and that it is the brand of many Stanleys, as there is only one Accy Stanley it should be Stanley's brand, but it is up to you and yours, but personally I don't like seeing apostrophes in the wrong place
Without turning this into an offensive thread, (and I don't know if you have sufficient reason - e.g. location) but if you had made the effort to come to the meetings, you could have had your input?

Last edited by Red-Osbornello; 18-05-2007 at 12:00. Reason: Wrong Wording
Old 18-05-2007, 12:40   #38
God Member

woah tigers - Jeff I admitted that Chimer was right just like I admit that you are right. The laws of the apostrophe can become complicated and grammatically speaking we are wrong. However, as it is 'our' (belonging to many brand that is how we wanted it to read. Ergo we are right too.

And for every Stanleyite that posts a thread saying it is wrong, or right, we get another 'bump' up the threads. For every Herefordian who posts it on Confguide (inbreds carnt even speeak English) we get another plug/advert to the wider footballing world. It's (correct?) blatant Google Page Ranking matey.
Old 18-05-2007, 12:50   #39
Resting In Peace

All season there have been postings on here about Stanley being amateurish and getting things wrong and now the OSC are doing things wrong on purpose. Maybe Stanley did things wrong on purpose last season just to get the publicity like the OSC. I just don't think things should be done wrong as it gives others amunition to ridicule.

Quote:
Without turning this into an offensive thread, (and I don't know if you have sufficient reason - e.g. location) but if you had made the effort to come to the meetings, you could have had your input?
I am not aksing for any input, I am merely joining a thread on the messageboard. If the OSC are happy with things being done wrong on purpose then so be it, I shall say no more on the subject.
Old 18-05-2007, 13:08   #40
Full Member+

Quote:
I am not aksing for any input, I am merely joining a thread on the messageboard.
As I stated, I did not want it to come across offensively. And I appreciate that it is a Forum thread; and you are entitled to your view...

Quote:
f the OSC are happy with things being done wrong on purpose then so be it
...but to actually state that the OSC are doing things "Wrong" when we have our reasons for doing it, as stated by Macca above your post is quite incorrect...

In my view

Old 18-05-2007, 13:31   #41
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Osbornello View Post
...but to actually state that the OSC are doing things "Wrong" when we have our reasons for doing it, as stated by Macca above your post is quite incorrect...

In my view
Quote:
If the OSC are happy with things being done wrong on purpose
If you are doing it on purpose then you obviously have your reasons for doing wrong so my post is not quite incorrect
Old 18-05-2007, 13:39   #42
Senior Member+

looks good to me but Ive packed in the cigars so no need for one

I will buy other items to support the OSC and I am very happy that the OSC is on a new track

good luck to everyone who is helping!

Loweiy
Old 18-05-2007, 13:39   #43
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
no problem Bagpuss. You can't please all of the people all of the time
Cheers Rob for not slagging me off as you where entitled to do because I did not attend the meetings when the items where discussed. As a buyer and that's what I am I thought because the OSC is taking a risk with these products a bit of feedback might be needed. I asked people at work what they thought, Stanley fans, football fans and non-football people. I got a mixed response some thought it was good, some bad, quite a few agreed with me that they would buy stuff with the name Accy Stanley only, 3 people thought you trying to promote a new bar in town, maybe The Crown if Eric buys it ???
I hope what is being produced does sell because the committee has worked hard on this but the general opinion from my survey was not good on the Stanleys' brand but good on items with Accrington Stanley OSC name.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 13:39   #44
Full Member+

Quote:
If you are doing it on purpose then you obviously have your reasons for doing wrong so my post is not quite incorrect
Point taken.

Old 18-05-2007, 13:47   #45
God Member

wooooooo now this has caused a bit of a kerfuffle where none is needed...right...wrong.... it was all decided on a while back by the committee and then passed by the osc (well those that come to the meetings anyway!!)

Bagpuss...below the Stanleys' logo it states "supporting accrington stanley"

and some of the t-shirts with the coley image will clearly demonstrate what we are about.... as macca has pointed out we have to keep the design completely away from ASFC's as we didn't want our merchandise being confused with theirs... hence using the name stanleys'

tbh any feedback is good as we can then build on it for the future merchandising we may indulge in...

we're new at this and we're trying...very trying

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..