Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 20:42   #1
God Member

Focus moves to new stadium ...

according to this weeks Observer;

now that IK has stepped down he will have more time on his hands to finding a new venue for us. The Brighton model is nice although we couldn't compete with the size. The two sites previously earmarked are indeed Central Car Sales and the old power station at Huncoat (please God no!) don't appear to be suitable.

Still at least three years away though.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-05-2012, 21:33   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Focus moves to new stadium ...

Thought we were staying at the Crown and redeveloping?
Old 10-05-2012, 21:51   #3
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Thought we were staying at the Crown and redeveloping?
Wouldn't that be the best way forward!! redevelopment of the whinney hill and changing rooms and other areas of the Crown Ground in stages Crown Ground has been our home for 44yrs 1968 t present day long than Peel Park was and thats the only place i'd like to have back as our home if a move is needed.IMHO
Old 10-05-2012, 22:39   #4

There is a lot of room for improvement at the crown!!
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 00:43   #5
Full Member+

I like the Crown it's in a nice part of town,even if some of those in the nice part of town don't like Stanley. The Clayton End would be perfect if they got rid of the seats, and the away end keeps the away fans singing down to a minimum by having no roof to amplify their noise.
The cow/tin shed is embarrassing, it's no better than Great Harwood's was, apart from they have a few seats in it. I always cringe thinking what away fans must think when they see it. If the club could afford to replace it with a 2 to 3 thousand capacity stand, maybe with leisure facilities built in that'd make the Crown ideal for our needs.
Is there enough room behind the tin shed to build a big stand though?
If not then it looks like a move elsewhere, though wouldn't it be a dream if not a reality to move back to Peel Park, with it still being a football pitch!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:11   #6
God Member

Hey people, nothing to do with the thread I know, but was there an airfield at Huncoat in WW2 for the RAF or yankees ?? Something stirred in the old grey matter when I saw the name.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:39   #7
Resting in Peace

I would not like to see the Crown developed any further without the Whinney Hill tip being closed down. The smells are getting back to being as bad as they were before the supposed "improvements". Although it only becomes a problem on the ground when a rare N.E. wind blows, the stink blights the lives of the top-enders in Clayton-le-Moors. People should have their council tax reduced for having to put up with this disgrace.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
...was there an airfield at Huncoat in WW2 for the RAF or yankees .....
If you're right we could always call on the USAF to carry out any demolition.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
Hey people, nothing to do with the thread I know, but was there an airfield at Huncoat in WW2 for the RAF or yankees ?? Something stirred in the old grey matter when I saw the name.
A bit of Googleing, and I think my grey matter (what little there is) , was probably thinking a place called 'Hornchurch'.....
Old 11-05-2012, 08:20   #10
God Member

I too would like to see the Crown redeveloped but how much could it be done by?

We know full well that Accrington people will never fully support a football club to the extent that the modern game requires so we HAVE to find ways of increasing incoming money significantly and the stadium has to provide that. There isn't the room on the present site to put big enough buildings all around it that could house some of the things that other clubs have. Probably the biggest nail in The Crown's coffin would be the lack of adequate parking facilities for a bigger crowd. Residents and the police have previously voiced concerns about this when we were averaging 2-2500, if we were to be looking upwards and hoping for crowds of 4-5000 there is no chance of current parking being enough.

I've said it time and again that the best all round solution is the Accy Amateurs site to the rear of the Accrington End. This is leased by AA for at least another 15 years and the Council couldn't renege on the deal. But I'm positive that an amicable solution all around could be found whereby we build training pitches and AA would have the use of one of the use without any kind of grounds maintainance costs being incurred.

The site is massive although mis-shapen. But if you span our ground around 90 degrees and moved it over to the furthest corner from where it is you would have ample room around the perimeter for car parking for hundreds, an off-site bar area, landscaping to pretty it up for the moaning gits in houses, and the current pitch could easily accomodate two full size pitches for use by the community, Accy Amateurs, Stanley Ultras, a reformed Stanley Ladies, the Academy, and training for the 1st team. There would be room to leave some of the terracing behind to provide a backdrop for these teams and their followers.

That site could also accomodate an extra relief road being build straight onto Whinny Hill which could half the amount of traffic leaving by the current routes.

Would it still be The Crown?
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
a reformed Stanley Ladies
Could some of the ladies still play even if they hadn't reformed?
Div3North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21   #12
God Member

Quote:
Would it still be The Crown?
Half a crown I suspect...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38   #13
God Member

Quote:

Still at least three years away though.
Which is about the time the new bus station is due to be completed.

Knock down the then diused Market Hall, build the ground on Peel St. That way I won't have to move shop, I will just have to change the name to club shop

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..