Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15   #1

Francis Jeffers

is available on a free, who thinks we should sign him?
theresonlyoneaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2010, 08:37   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Francis Jeffers

The fact that he hasn't got a team, along with a lot of other older generation footballers and young kids alike says something. According to the BBC blog, there are 31 pages of footballers looking for a team! Not sure we could afford him anyway, however, he has the right breeding?

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06   #3
God Member

Just what you need, a player who since leaving Everton has managed to play 132 games in 9 years and scored 16 goals in that time. Prolific
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06   #4

I orginally laughed when I had the idea. If he has no club after 2 months of searching why not take a pay cut and join Stanley. The worst he can do is earn himself another year with us.
We have some money available after the Newcastle game...

And lancsdave he's still scored more than Rory Boulding ;-)
theresonlyoneaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:11   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Jeffers to me is one of those "coulda" beens, fer whatever reason he never cut it, stanley now have lads that are pretty quick,n 100% commited, in my opinion a definite NO to Jeffers.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55   #6
God Member

the fox in the box pmsl
Old 01-09-2010, 13:47   #7
Senior Member+

he wouldnt sign for us, he is use to big wages and signing for stanley would have to be about him wanting to prove himself and turn his career round, unfortuantly, i think he is comfortable with the money he has and what he has achieved.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 15:57   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
he wouldnt sign for us, he is use to big wages and signing for stanley would have to be about him wanting to prove himself and turn his career round, unfortuantly, i think he is comfortable with the money he has and what he has achieved.
Quotes with regard to 'Jug-Ears' !

Francis Jeffers’ career reached a new low last night when he was fined around £20,000 and shown the door by Sheffield Wednesday.
Manager Brian Laws hit the former Everton and Arsenal striker with the maximum permitted punishment after Jeffers — once known as the ‘Fox in the Box’ — was sent off for butting in Wednesday’s 2-0 Carling Cup defeat at Port Vale.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said Francis Jeffers fully deserved the red card that cost his side's chances of lifting the Community Shield against Manchester United.
Jeffers became the 50th Arsenal player red-carded under manager Arsene Wenger when he was sent off 19 minutes from time after kicking out at Phil Neville.

The skinny Scouser, 20 at the time, had only scored 18 goals in 49 games for Everton but somehow warranted an £8m fee despite non-existent technical and physical skills. He was tagged by some as the English version to Italy legend Pippo Inzaghi, a “fox in the box”, but was way out of his depth at Highbury. Hit the back of the net just four times in 22 appearances during two years before being loaned out and eventually sold. Has struggled with smaller teams ever since, and at 29 he is currently without a club.

Question marks over the young striker’s commitment to the game have been circling since his early days at Everton.

Francis Jeffers scored two of the other goals but was denied a hat-trick by a wonderful save from Tony Pennock near the end. The cheers of Farnborough fans at that reflected delight that Jeffers would not be going home with the match ball after his part in the sending-off of poor Christian Lee in the 29th minute, for which he should be thoroughly ashamed. It completely spoiled Farnborough's big day.
Sure Lee, ex-Gillingham and Northampton, was forced to manhandle Jeffers on the edge of the box when caught out by the swiftness of Robert Pires' pass. But there was no need for Jeffers to go to ground in the same theatrical manner that so infuriated Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier last month.

There then is the flip-side to this ageing Striker !..not to be admired !...and NOT for Stanley !!.

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 17:06   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
There then is the flip-side to this ageing Striker !..not to be admired !...and NOT for Stanley !!.
Quite so, but he IS a Scouser!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 17:24   #10
God Member

The one stand out name and looked a shrewd signing before the season kicked off was Fabian Brandy released by United in June it looks like he is still a free agent.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:00   #11
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Quite so, but he IS a Scouser!
He mite be a scouser!!! But wrong COLOUR MikeA hes a BLUE not a RED
Old 01-09-2010, 19:20   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
He mite be a scouser!!! But wrong COLOUR MikeA hes a BLUE not a RED
So was Symes i think? n he was a gem.
Old 01-09-2010, 20:10   #13
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So was Symes i think? n he was a gem.
I stand corrected cashy!! Syme indeed started off at Everton.
Old 01-09-2010, 20:28   #14
Senior Member+

Coley will have already weighed him up - he played against us down in Devon.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 19:08   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
I stand corrected cashy!! Syme indeed started off at Everton.
True but he is from Great Yarmouth I believe.

Jeffers' career appeared to be back on the up till he was injured in Sheffield Wednesday's four one win at Stoke.

After that things went down hill for him with a long lay off and a frustrating return culminating in him being sent off in a bad tempered Carling Cup defeat at Port Vale.

He was brought on in the hoping saving Sheffield Wednesday in their last drawn home game against Palace but he couldn't manage it and was later not offered a new deal.

He has probably not achieved legendary status on Owlszone the Forum I am on for Sheffield Wednesday.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!

Last edited by Haggis316; 02-09-2010 at 19:11.
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..