Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 16:46   #1
Senior Member+

Friday nights in October

Fishy site reports Wrexham and Macclesfield games to be played on Friday nights. Presume they are testing the water (again).
Personally not keen, and the Saturday sucks (although a chance for extra Xmas shopping ), possibly lose some away support too, particularly Wrexham.

Any thoughts, people?

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-09-2007, 17:02   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Friday nights in October

Terrible idea - hate it. Saturdays should be sacrosanct, barring war or pestilence!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 18:21   #3
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Terrible idea - hate it. Saturdays should be sacrosanct, barring war or pestilence!
Not happy football should be on Saturdays, I would go for a one match trial but this is getting out of hand, my way of life does not include going to football Friday nights.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 18:25   #4
Accy Red

Does this mean the away games against these clubs will be on Friday nights also?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 06-09-2007, 19:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Fishy site reports Wrexham and Macclesfield games to be played on Friday nights. Presume they are testing the water (again).
Personally not keen, and the Saturday sucks (although a chance for extra Xmas shopping ), possibly lose some away support too, particularly Wrexham.

Any thoughts, people?
I enjoy the night games it makes for a good atmosphere and we seem to play better under floodlights. Wrexham brought a huge following last year for a midweek game and we sent them home for a good stuffing! If Rovers are at home on the Saturdays I think its a good idea.
philip@pcarter3.oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 20:23   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I enjoy the night games it makes for a good atmosphere and we seem to play better under floodlights. Wrexham brought a huge following last year for a midweek game and we sent them home for a good stuffing! If Rovers are at home on the Saturdays I think its a good idea.
It's not midweek, it's Friday night, and we play under floodlights on Saturday afternoon in winter.

And if the club want us to go and watch Blackburn on the Saturday they want their heads testing, I believe it's cheaper at Ewood, wherever that is.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 20:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
It's not midweek, it's Friday night, and we play under floodlights on Saturday afternoon in winter.

And if the club want us to go and watch Blackburn on the Saturday they want their heads testing, I believe it's cheaper at Ewood, wherever that is.
Nowt wrong with having a second team if tha' can afford it! as long as its not Burnley!
Old 06-09-2007, 20:41   #8

That's over £60 worth of train tickets up in smoke. Make that £100 if the Rotherham game goes the same way. Any chance we could get more notice if/when the club springs this one again?

Phil
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 20:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post
That's over £60 worth of train tickets up in smoke. Make that £100 if the Rotherham game goes the same way. Any chance we could get more notice if/when the club springs this one again?

Phil
Sorry to hear that.
Old 06-09-2007, 20:48   #10
Senior Member+

Playing Fridays worked for Tranmere and it can work for us too. Of course I would prefer games on Saturdays, but at least the club are trying new things.

The other season when we tried Friday games it did boost our crowds a little. Let's give it a go.
Old 06-09-2007, 20:50   #11
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post

Phil
The fixtures come out and plans are made for the season, you expect the odd game to change dates but a whole wad of them, it's not on. I'm so glad I didn't renew my season ticket because I would be claiming my money back now because what I would have paid for would not be what I would be getting.

Old 06-09-2007, 20:54   #12
God Member

I might come along to a Friday night game, whereas I find I can be more productive on Saturdays not going to a match. Thats not meant to be controversial but merely to show that it may attract a few fans of other clubs.

Not sure that balances out the duty to your own fans though, especially the ones who live away from Accrington
Old 06-09-2007, 20:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I might come along to a Friday night game, whereas I find I can be more productive on Saturdays not going to a match. Thats not meant to be controversial but merely to show that it may attract a few fans of other clubs.

Not sure that balances out the duty to your own fans though, especially the ones who live away from Accrington
Fair comment, I feel for the fans who have to travel I'm sure the wife will have something planned for Saturday!
Old 06-09-2007, 21:04   #14
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm sure the wife will have something planned for Saturday!
Bloody hell I hadn't thought of that.

Old 06-09-2007, 21:07   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Bloody hell I hadn't thought of that.

You need to get in first, find out if the club shop will be open Saturday afternoon and offer to take her shopping

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..