Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2005, 01:43   #16
I am Banned

Re: Full-time v Part-time

Typically , Michigan Red has posed some intelligent and analytical questions.

I can't give any sort of definitive answer to his queries because I lack the knowledge of what's going on in the squad.

Probably Smiffy is best placed to give a detailed response without disclosing trade secrets !

However , it's worth mentioning that some of our improved players have shone despite the regime rather than because of it. For example , Steve Flitcroft found himself with no regular place in an enlarged squad last year and was outsourced for several months to a lower league - his increased opportunities to play first team football resulted in a fitter, sharper player . My own opinion is that this would have happened whether Stanley were full or part time.

In contrast, Lee McEvilly must surely have benefited from the full-time arrangement. His weight has been reduced and his fitness level has increased to levels that could only have been achieved within a professional club.

There is another area to consider (although this is not part of Michigan Red's question) , and that is what economists call the "opportunity cost" , within the Football Club's various activities , of having a full-time professional team.

I believe that attendances this season have been disappointing because the spectator facilities have not improved sufficiently to match the Club's professional aspirations - and I would hazard a guess that those facilities would have improved if the Club had remained semi-pro for one more season and the cash thus released had been reinvested in ground improvements. I'm both proud of the Club and supportive of its ambitions , but it is arguable that the enlarged, professional, Stanley of 2004 -5 has been a mixed blessing.

Would Stanley still be in the Conference at the end of this season if the Club had not made the decision to go full-time ? Personally , I think "Yes" , but I confess that we would not have been anywhere near contention for the play-offs , and I agree that fortune favours the brave !
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2005, 10:28   #17
Senior Member+

Re: Full-time v Part-time

Going back to the original post, We are in the same position as last year and cannot go any lower, but we can go higher up the league and as others say, as a full time club, we can attract better players, but who we may ask. We certainly don't want has beens from league clubs wanting to play out their last season with Stanley, although Mike Flynn, Ged Brannon et al have been good for us. What is required is a mixture of youth and experienced heads to win this league, good travellers, (granted we have won more away this season than last) and those that will battle for the shirt and pride of the club and town as a whole. What the club certainly need to do for next season is the following:
1. put a roof over Clayton and Coppice end of terracing
2. Increase offers to attract new supporters.
3. Sort out parking in the area, especially for big matches e.g. FA Cup against league opposition.
4. upgrade the Whinney Hill terrace to seating (I believe this is in the pipeline for when we are a league club again).
5. Get Ultras/supporters club/ team etc involved in local initiatives especially involving schools and sports clubs.

What would be nice next season is to see a core 2500 supporters at every home game. OK I acccept certain supporters cannot go every week (myself included) due to work commitments, but I believe most go as often as is allowed and I am certain the likes of Jimbo and Michigan Red would love to come back to see the mighty reds in action once more

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..