Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2008, 11:20   #16
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Re: Grant out for 6 weeks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Do you think you are Coley? Playing players out of position. Get a striker on loan and play him on the wing, never heard anything as daft in my life. Why not just play the same team that we did away to Port Vale with Jimmy Ryan instead of Craney?
Have i done something to up set you Jeff,thought playing Jamie Clarke on the wing would mean we could us his speed down the wing mind you MABCOLEY does have a nice ring to it
Old 20-08-2008, 12:22   #17
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post
Have i done something to up set you Jeff,thought playing Jamie Clarke on the wing would mean we could us his speed down the wing mind you MABCOLEY does have a nice ring to it
No, not done anything to upset me, but I just get a bee in my bonnet about playing players out of position. Clarke has been signed as a striker not a winger, just because he has a bit of speed doesn't mean to say he has to play on the wing. Somebody else suggests playing Cav in midfield, CAV IS A DEFENDER. Last season we loaned a centre half from Charlton (Aswad) and Coley played him on the wing, what is the point of that? Coley said that Craney was the best midfielder in League Two yet played him up front. Why oh why can't we just play players in their positions instead of chopping and changing them around. Ian Dunbavin may have a bit of speed, do you suggest using his speed down the wing? No probably not, why - because Ian Dunbavin is not a winger. Goalkeepers in the nets, defenders in defence, midfielders in midfield and strikers up front, what is complicated about that?
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 12:51   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
No, not done anything to upset me, but I just get a bee in my bonnet about playing players out of position. Clarke has been signed as a striker not a winger, just because he has a bit of speed doesn't mean to say he has to play on the wing. Somebody else suggests playing Cav in midfield, CAV IS A DEFENDER. Last season we loaned a centre half from Charlton (Aswad) and Coley played him on the wing, what is the point of that? Coley said that Craney was the best midfielder in League Two yet played him up front. Why oh why can't we just play players in their positions instead of chopping and changing them around. Ian Dunbavin may have a bit of speed, do you suggest using his speed down the wing? No probably not, why - because Ian Dunbavin is not a winger. Goalkeepers in the nets, defenders in defence, midfielders in midfield and strikers up front, what is complicated about that?
I'd agree with the opinion on wingers. Just because a player has pace doesn't mean he should be played on the wing - look at Shaun Whalley. He couldn't cross and therefore played much better through the middle or up front.
However Peter Cavanagh has proved that he can play well on the right wing. Much better than Leam Richardson who really is an out and out defender.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 17:46   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
However Peter Cavanagh has proved that he can play well on the right wing. Much better than Leam Richardson who really is an out and out defender.
Slightly disagree about Leam, he made a couple of goals last year , one for a Procky header, and a sublime chip for Aswad at Chester, yes he did mis-hit a cross into the back of the net for a winner, but I wouldn't hold that against him.

Anyway, I'm getting quite excited about Saturday, as Zero said on another thread - going to the match should be fun, fingers crossed.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 18:16   #20
God Member

I thought Leam was a revelation on the wing for about 6 matches, then he inexplicably missed the Rochdale and Peterborough debacles and that was the end of that.

I agree wholeheartedly with Jeff about the square peg thingie. Play each player in their best position then use what is left over to fill the voids. Better still get some extra players in!
Old 20-08-2008, 18:17   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy bag View Post
Bobby Grant having knee op and will be out for 4-6 weeks.

Pity but at least club are taking no chances with our brightest young talent!!
anyway - nowt on t'fishy so it might not even be true yet!
Old 20-08-2008, 20:09   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
anyway - nowt on t'fishy so it might not even be true yet!
Maybe t'Fishy site has been working on the basis of good news only, would explain a lot.

Anyway much better lately, Bobby Grant though?

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 21:12   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Slightly disagree about Leam, he made a couple of goals last year , one for a Procky header, and a sublime chip for Aswad at Chester, yes he did mis-hit a cross into the back of the net for a winner, but I wouldn't hold that against him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
I thought Leam was a revelation on the wing for about 6 matches, then he inexplicably missed the Rochdale and Peterborough debacles and that was the end of that.
I'm not saying Leam plays badly on the wing - he clearly doesn't - but to me he does stick out as a full back wanting to get forward rather than a player that can fit in well on the wing, mainly because of his crossing ability. Leam is much better at getting forward when it is on the overlap. Peter, now that Craney has left; is the best and most consistent passer/crosser of a ball that we have.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 21:48   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

horses fer coarses, agree with jeff, anyway don't matter cos they will stuff Macc on sat.
Old 22-08-2008, 10:23   #25

thats bad news he is a good player but i think we could servive without him
accyfan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 17:59   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
horses fer coarses, agree with jeff, anyway don't matter cos they will stuff Macc on sat.
Yep. Have been in Macc today and everyone was looking distinctly apprehensive. Even the brown sign pointing to Macc Town FC was looking a bit wobbly.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..