Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2011, 17:59   #1
Full Member+

Half term report

If a summary of the season so far was to read as a school report normally would, then my take on it would be something along the following lines.......

An encouraging half season for Coley's boys with a creditable return of 31 points from the first 23 games and a respectable 12th position to boot.

Very positive start, with the defense being akin to misers in the first seven games when only 1 goal was conceded.

Late September through to early November (Port Vale away up to Chesterfield away) heralded something of a defensive capitulation, with a worrying 25 goals shipped over the course of 8 games with the side gleaning a poor return of 5 points from 24 on offer. Admittedly a few of the games lost in that spell were against some of the likelier candidates for promotion.

However since the season's heaviest 2-5 defeat at current leaders Chesterfield, Coley's men have only suffered one more reverse, a somewhat disappointing 0-2 loss at strugglers Barnet.

The weather has interupted the progress made, although now the cold spell has ended for the time being, recent displays show that the green shoots of recovery have firmly arisen from the slump experienced through September to November.

Home form has been steady, if not spectacular, with only two teams leaving "fortress Crown" with maximum points.

Away from home pastures, form had been somewhat sketchier up until recent times. After waiting for what has seemed an eternity for the rampaging reds to return home with 3 points from their forays away from the Crown, Coley's charges have now returned with the maximum haul from the last two away trips.

This season's cup challenges have shown a mixed return. The positive displays shown in the League Cup against higher division opposition have been somewhat negated by an early exit from both the F.A. and J.P.T competitions, albeit the latter being a somewhat dissapointing result of what could be considered of our own making.

So to summarise, after a bright start and subsequent slump, Stanley have shown with recent displays, that the second half of the season may herald a push for the upper reaches of League Two. With continued improvement hopefully home attendances will rise, along with any progress up the league.

However, Coley's boys still need to improve on their concentration skills late in games, where the perennial defensive lapses still on occasion rear their ugly head. On occasion this season this problem has resulted in what may be valueable points lost when it comes to the final reckoning come May.

YOUR thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen !!!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2011, 19:24   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Half term report

Last season it was a reverse situation,talk of play offs upto jan then faded away,do i dare and mention a possible push for the play offs !!!!!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 20:09   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Last season it was a reverse situation,talk of play offs upto jan then faded away,do i dare and mention a possible push for the play offs !!!!!!
No, you daren't. Such talk usually heralds a slump in our form! Please recant.
I put it in the same category as someone in the Cheltenham thread reporting we were up to 12th before the final whistle, and the Ultras singing "You might as well go home" to the opposition fans when we go two goals up. Superstitious, Moi?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 22:38   #4

Stanley's end game jitters should have eradicated chicken counting by now.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 19:46   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Please don't - it will put the mockers on it.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:12   #6
God Member

Smile Re: Half term report

A fair reflection I feel Carpon!! I look forward to the end of term report

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:13   #7
God Member

Smile Re: Half term report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
Please don't - it will put the mockers on it.
A sensible man

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 22:20   #8
God Member

Our overall points-per-game (PPG) ratio for the 2009/10 season was 1.32. Our current PPG in 2010/11 is 1.35. So, a very minor improvement there? One certainly not representative of the step-up in terms of quality of football played.

The play-off (7th place) PPG of 2009/10 was 1.57.

If we make a series of improvements; namely in:

• Our away form,
  • Our concentration at the end of tight games where we're ahead,
  • Our ruthlessness in front of goal; taking a hell-uv-a-lot more of the chances that we make

...then I see no reason why a serious challenge for a play-off place shouldn't be on the cards.

I'll stick my neck out. If we don't finish in the top half (at least) this season after the football we've shown we're capable of, I'll be seriously disappointed. And I suspect Coley will be, too.

Enough of the superstitious codswallop. It's all about the numbers.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 00:54   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
. Our current PPG in 2010/11 is 1.35.
The play-off (7th place) PPG of 2009/10 was 1.57.
had we not squandered a 2 goal lead twice (Stockport and Chesterfield) in the dying kicks of matches then our PPG would currently stand at 1.52 - not bad for a side that has only just won its first two away matches!

Your right about the quality of play though, by all acounts it has been remarkably better this year and that would be the galling thing should the league position not improve any further. What a shame that it appears Ilyas has not been able to administer the transfer funds that he said he would this window

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..