Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48   #1
I am Banned

Helpful thoughts

Before everyone throws their hands up in horror at the words "malcolmthemole", please read this as it is intended to be a helpful, constructive and genuine posting from someone who is a comparitve newcomer to area, and it is a genuine wish to help the club.

On Friday I bought a Lancashire Evening Post, and there was a whole page devoted to ASFC. In one article a club official described the efforts of the club to attract more fans to the club. Very good and interesting. However, on the same page is yet another article describing how the club resurrected itself from the collapse of 1962. It was a fantastic achievement that the people of Accrington did such a wondeful job in getting the club into the football league, no-one can dispute that. However, the disaster was 50 years ago and really the club should have a more positive outlook, forget the past and move on. Stop rattling on about 1962 because it only serves to remind people, in particular young people, of what happened in the past, and unfortunately it does create an unfortunate image, no doubt incorrectly, that it is a small club still living in the past with no real ambition.

The club needs to look at the admission prices. Is it better to have 1800 people paying £16 or 3000 paying say £12, and creating a better atmosphere? I used to pay £11 as I am an over 60. However on the day Stanley played Port Vale I paid only £17 to watch Blackburn play Aston Villa. If you were a neutral person selecting a match to go to, which game would you choose?

I know the club cannot help how the fixtures are arranged but it does not help when Accrington and Blackburn play at home on the same day.

I have read that Acccrington are thinking of building a new stadium in Church. What is the point if they cannot fill the Crown? Would it not be better to spend a few bob improving the infrastructure of the Crown Ground, if that is at all possible?. A decent changing room block and development of what I call the shed side would be a good start.

Lastly, dump the drums! I was in Gillingham at the weekend, and I asked my brother who is a Gills supporter if the Accrington fans brought a drum with them, and he said drums are banned at Priestfield because they upset the local residents. He did say the Stanley fans sang well without them. When drums disappear at Accrington I will come back again, but in the meantime I will go elsewhere.

Finally, I would be most grateful if Lancsdave or the moderator would remove the posting about Gillingham Football Club. If it is an attempt at upsetting me, it is a waste of time, but it is however an inaccurate and unfair insult to the club and supporters of Gillingham FC, who have had no opportunity to respond to the Lancsdave comment. Furthermore, what actually happened is not as described in the article. The Fulham fan in question died after falling and hitting his head on a kerbstone whilst running away from police up an alleyway. No Gills supporter touched him, and the police later revealed that on his person he had several knives, watches and a lot of drugs. In August 2010 two drunk Accrington fans ended up in court having thrown things on to the pitch and then hitting police who arrested them. I realise that all clubs have a very small element of undesirables - and the Gills and Accrington are no different - but on the basis of Lancsdave's thinking, should I assume that all Stanley fans behave like those two? Of course I don't! Would either Stanleymad or Lancsdave, please remove that posting about Gillingham, if only to prove that you can be fair to the fans of another club who have done you no harm.

As I said at the start, I intend this to be a helpful message. If you wish to take it any other way, I cannot do much about that.

Kind regards

Malcolm

Last edited by malcolmthemole; 12-03-2012 at 08:56.
malcolmthemole is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26   #2

Re: Helpful thoughts

What a Pile of
Old 12-03-2012, 09:32   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Casper View Post
What a Pile of
Well I'm not a fan Billy and I though the same
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59   #4
Full Member+

The 50th anniversary has been mentioned a lot recently simply because IT IS THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY Malcolm! The club aren't stuck or living in the past it's just that Stanley's resignation from the league is an important, if not the most important, part of the History of Accrington Stanley FC!
The club have tried offering cheap football to the people of Accrington and surrounding towns but they didn't respond, so the ones who do turn up have unfortunately got to make up the shortfall in money going into the club via the turnstiles and season ticket sales. The only time i can remember the public turning out in great numbers to support Stanley, when a cheap offer was on was when IT WAS FREE!!, against Torquay a few years ago. Stanley cannot compete with Blackburn, and Blackburn know this but it wont stop Blackburn Rovers from trying to poach our fans. If they had the chance they'd close us down tomorrow if they could nick our fans, because that's how ruthless football has become.
The drum stays where it belongs..in the Clayton End, and i must say i miss that snare drum that accompanied the bass drum. Not being sarcastic here, but they truelly complimented each other, they are/were both played very well and i've even seen a club fetch a trombone to the Crown(can't remember but it might have been Aldershot in the Conference days)and it was superbly played, and it definately added to the atmosphere inside the ground. Premiership clubs don't have or need drums to drum up support, 35,000 people would drown out the drums noise, but clubs like Stanley need to create as much of an atmosphere as possible to make up for the lack in numbers inside the ground so BOOM BOOM!! is better than polite applause in my book! I won't go overboard about the residents who moan about our drum, because some might post on here, or read this page,but they seem to enjoy a good moan about something that only happens once a fortnight and the odd Tuesday night!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23   #5

Malcolm,

Why can’t you just see the club for what it really is and embrace it ? It’s got its faults, but then so has every other club in the country. I have my faults and believe it or not, you have yours !!!!

Call it a “small club” mentality if you like, but what happened in 1962 is part of the clubs history. This along with the injustice felt by all at the club have contributed to the fighting spirit seen in every team from its reformation, thus resulting in returning to the Football League and staying there against all the odds.

Part of the plan to build a new stadium is to bring in revenue all year round, not just twenty-odd days a year. Finally, we appear to have a bright future ahead of us and I like many others are just glad we still have a club to go and watch.

You don’t like the drums, I don’t like the Pies – won’t stop me going.

I am proud to be a Stanley Supporter and will be there to see our journey continue. If you are not, then more fool you.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36   #6
I am Banned

Well, I have tried hard to be pleasant, and it has got me nowhere.

Bye for now.

Malcolm
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44   #7

Strap a Pair on Malcolm and grow up man !

Malcolm the Mole you are as welcome as Stan the Monkey at OUR club.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmthemole View Post
Before everyone throws their hands up in horror at the words "malcolmthemole",

I have to be honest I didn't throw my hands up, but the swear box ended up full
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

That statement i regard as insulting to Mr Khan, Mr Marsden, n all who work very hard to improve the club n its status, I would be more than happy if the Mods kicked this guy into touch forever.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
That statement i regard as insulting to Mr Khan, Mr Marsden, n all who work very hard to improve the club n its status, I would be more than happy if the Mods kicked this guy into touch forever.
Cashy,

You know how hard it is to get rid of Moles……

This guy has had more “comebacks” than Elvis !!!!!

Let’s hope he’s gone for Good !
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27   #11
I am Banned

Stanleymad, you asked me to use some etiquette on here, well I have and all I have got is a load of abuse in response.

I rest my case.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33   #12
God Member

Quote:
Stanleymad, you asked me to use some etiquette on here, well I have and all I have got is a load of abuse in response.

I rest my case.

If my posts were 'questioned' which made me think I was being abused I would take 1 of 2 actions, report them or stop posting. The same options are open to anybody who posts on here.

If I was in a minoirty of 1 in my views I would take the latter option. But then again I don't do attention seeking
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If my posts were 'questioned' which made me think I was being abused I would take 1 of 2 actions, report them or stop posting. The same options are open to anybody who posts on here.

If I was in a minoirty of 1 in my views I would take the latter option. But then again I don't do attention seeking
Well i did say earlier,i thought the guy is retarded? thats just n honest opinion, but he will probably regard as abuse.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44   #14
I am Banned

What a sad response. My sole intention was to try and help, as an outsider who has been at other small clubs, and it makes no difference to me whether anyone takes any notice or not. I hope you do have a bright future.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46   #15
God Member

Quote:
What a sad response. My sole intention was to try and help, as an outsider who has been at other small clubs, and it makes no difference to me whether anyone takes any notice or not. I hope you do have a bright future.
I think we may have all missed it, but in what way are you offering to help

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..