Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2017, 15:44   #1
I am Banned

Home grown players/Youth Development

EFL Clubs have today made a further commitment to supporting young players, by approving proposals to increase the number of homegrown players on team sheets from six to seven in 2017/18.

In a collective bid to help more players make the transition from Academy to first-team football, EFL Clubs also agreed to introduce a requirement for at least one club developed player to be named on each team sheet for any EFL League game from the start of the 2018/19 season
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2017, 15:53   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Home grown players/Youth Development

I honestly dont understand that. to me any lad good enough in the lower reaches of football, will automatically get on the team sheet surely?
Old 06-04-2017, 16:52   #3
God Member

Will these new requirements apply to the Premiership teams too I wonder?
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 17:03   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Will these new requirements apply to the Premiership teams too I wonder?
Don't be daft
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 17:37   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I honestly dont understand that. to me any lad good enough in the lower reaches of football, will automatically get on the team sheet surely?
You're absolutely right, Cashy, but forgetting that this is just another example of political tokenism.
One sage observer (Thomas Sowell) suggested that the last few decades have seen all decisions by organisations move from what works best to what sounds best.
Unless that one player IS good enough to play in the first team, all it means is that there is going to be one less person on the team sheet who should be there.
AccyMad likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 17:45   #6
God Member

Its a load of crap really but we've clamoured for years for the likes of Turner or Webb or Hazeldine or Carver to be given a chance. If they now HAVE to be given a chance then at least we'll see some sort of fruition. The club has high hopes for Ross Sykes who has been on trial at Prem clubs this season, but not got a meaningful game for us yet.
keep the faith and Chrisr like this.
Old 06-04-2017, 19:07   #7
God Member

Agree, Macca, that it sounds like a good idea.
However, many League clubs have always been doing it but, as you say, it doesn't mean any more young lads will get a game UNLESS they are good enough. And if they are good enough, they would break into the first team anyway. Nothing will fundamentally change, I suspect.
But the EFL administrators can pat themselves on the back that they've 'addressed the issue'.
AccyMad likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:19   #8
God Member

another load of (put your own words in here). just put someone on the team sheet doesn,t mean the,ll be getting on the pitch. would have made more sence if it had said starting eleven.
keep the faith likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:52   #9
Senior Member+

In simple terms lower league football is all about points.
A young player breaking through is a bonus.
That's why the reserve teams were replaced with under 21s,to give their development a better chance.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:39   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
In simple terms lower league football is all about points.
A young player breaking through is a bonus.
That's why the reserve teams were replaced with under 21s,to give their development a better chance.
and look whats happened. they all get loaned out to teams in leagues below to get proper development. this u21 thing doesn,t seem to be working as its not competitive enough. get back to the old days with proper reserve sides where young players were blooded with experianced players, but i suppose someone who,s on a fortune to think up these new ideas has to make them work.
baldy likes this.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:06   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
and look whats happened. they all get loaned out to teams in leagues below to get proper development. this u21 thing doesn,t seem to be working as its not competitive enough. get back to the old days with proper reserve sides where young players were blooded with experianced players, but i suppose someone who,s on a fortune to think up these new ideas has to make them work.
Is it not more expensive to do that? therefore small clubs cannot afford.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:23   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Is it not more expensive to do that? therefore small clubs cannot afford.
they don,t think about small clubs when they bring new ideas in. if those at the top want a proper reserve league starting it will start no matter what stanley or any football admin men think or want.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
they don,t think about small clubs when they bring new ideas in. if those at the top want a proper reserve league starting it will start no matter what stanley or any football admin men think or want.
oh i know they dont, but were yeh not suggesting get back to summat we cant afford?
Old 08-04-2017, 11:49   #14
God Member

i,m sure a reserve league consisting of north west clubs who would play players who didn,t get a full game on a saturday plus some youngsters wouldn,t cost a fortune and give em competitive match. if you,re out of the side at the moment say with stanley you have to hope someone gets injured or there form drops off with only training behind you. it worked well in the past.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:16   #15
Senior Member+

Reserve teams made more sense when you didn't have any / many substitutes. To run an adult reserve team in a regular competition these days you would need a total squad of over 30 with probably 4 goalkeepers. You wouldn't want to play any of the regular first team or bench in a reserve side if there was a first team game due in the next four days or so, and gates would be in the low dozens. Just couldn't make financial sense .... in my opinion.
cashman likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..