Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2008, 22:25   #1
Junior Member+

Huddersfield Fan - Opinion on Roberts please

Hi, looks like Gary Roberts is set to join us for around 200k. Ipswich fans on the whole seem to hate him and im a little bit worried that this could be a poor signing. Just wondering what you think of him? Ipswich fans say he is slow, has no technical ability, no effort, offers no protection to the full back and cant cross.Surely this cant be true of someone who will have gone for 200k twice.

cheers
skinner05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-07-2008, 22:29   #2

Question Re: Huddersfield Fan - Opinion on Roberts please

We loved him at this level it's just a big jump to the championship
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 22:47   #3
God Member

Re: Huddersfield Fan - Opinion on Roberts please

Having seen him play in the championship I think he went one league too far. Should do well in league one,especially with Stan's method of management

He's also one of those players who you like to have in your team but all opposing fans hate because of his ability to 'win' free kicks
Old 25-07-2008, 22:47   #4
God Member

Well he was brill for us, but as sam said maybe he found his level with us....and all his mates

Only way I would ever describe Gary as slow is brain cells wise but def not on the pitch

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 00:00   #5
God Member

same as most decent wingers, if he could be arsed and the game was going for him he is brilliant. Doesn't get involved enough for me but most wingers of his kind don't - he is a line hugger.

He doesn't rely on pace to get away form his man unless he plays more central as a 2nd striker but he can and will trick his way past the defender. As for can't cross!!!!!! the guy crosses deep from the line without having to angle or shape his body - he must be cripple footed or something. That tends to fool dfenders a lot because he doesn't need to be actually past them before he whips it in.

When he signed for Ipswich he was a revelation for a few weeks and various pundits including Bobby Robson were raving about him. Then something happened at Ipswich and his confidence seemed to go. It will always be a struggle from there onwards.

He'll play well for the first few weeks but after that it is up to the fans and the club to 'love' him to continue to get the best out of him.

Please boo him as often as possible and encourage him back down the 62 to us
Old 26-07-2008, 08:45   #6
Senior Member+

Gary Roberts in the Conference and L2 was a top, top player and could run opposing teams ragged. When he moved to Ipswich I thought it was a step too far and so it's proved to be. At L1 level, well I think he has the ability to do well.

I really hope that he can rediscover his form with Huddersfield because he's a nice lad and he deserves a chance at a bigger club.
Old 26-07-2008, 10:07   #7

Smile Re: Huddersfield Fan - Opinion on Roberts please

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
same as most decent wingers, if he could be arsed and the game was going for him he is brilliant. Doesn't get involved enough for me but most wingers of his kind don't - he is a line hugger.

He doesn't rely on pace to get away form his man unless he plays more central as a 2nd striker but he can and will trick his way past the defender. As for can't cross!!!!!! the guy crosses deep from the line without having to angle or shape his body - he must be cripple footed or something. That tends to fool dfenders a lot because he doesn't need to be actually past them before he whips it in.

When he signed for Ipswich he was a revelation for a few weeks and various pundits including Bobby Robson were raving about him. Then something happened at Ipswich and his confidence seemed to go. It will always be a struggle from there onwards.

He'll play well for the first few weeks but after that it is up to the fans and the club to 'love' him to continue to get the best out of him.

Please boo him as often as possible and encourage him back down the 62 to us
Macca's comments are pretty spot-on really. He is very much a confidence player and when things were'nt going for him down here he got absolutely hammered by the crowd which he could'nt get over. We have fickle fans here at ITFC who don't give players a chance to regain their form.

I personally think it will be agood move for him to move and wish him all the best. He has been flying in pre-season with some cracking perfomances and looking sharp and fit so hopes he can carry it on wherever he goes.

Tractorboy Red..
Old 26-07-2008, 10:28   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

If he goes to Huddersfield and does that he better be on the opposite wing to the dugouts
Old 26-07-2008, 10:43   #9
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If he goes to Huddersfield and does that he better be on the opposite wing to the dugouts
Aye, Stan wont accept anything less than 110%
Old 26-07-2008, 11:30   #10
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I'd rather face a Huddersfield side without Roberts than one with him playing.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:08   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I'd rather face a Huddersfield side without Roberts than one with him playing.
Looks like his first game for Huddersfield will be against Stanley tomorrow

Also another ex-Stanley player likely to be in the team.

TOWN TAKE ON ANOTHER TRIALIST | Huddersfield Town | News | First Team News | First Team News
Old 29-07-2008, 09:40   #12
Senior Member+

This is exactly the kind of information that could be fed to fans via the official website, but isn't. I know time is tight, but it would take less than 5 minutes to quickly type up a small news article such as this and post it on the site.

As for Grant, well he's not exactly excelled in L2 for the last 2 seasons, so he'll be lucky to get a chance in L1.
Old 29-07-2008, 12:27   #13
God Member

I see the friendly is being played behind closed doors tomorrow morning!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 16:07   #14
Junior Member+

We arent attempting to sign Grant.Ternent is doing him a favour by letting him train and play in friendlies in an attempt for other clubs to watch him and maybe sign him up
Old 29-07-2008, 17:16   #15
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinner05 View Post
We arent attempting to sign Grant.Ternent is doing him a favour by letting him train and play in friendlies in an attempt for other clubs to watch him and maybe sign him up
Not going to get many scouts watching him for a game played behind closed doors

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..