Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2011, 08:46   #1
God Member

Ideas Thread

What about to help pass the time over the Summer an ideas thread that maybe the Club can perhaps pick up on & use?

This forum has seen some truly enlighting posts & threads during my time on here and sometimes the littlest things may help make a difference to the Club and us a fans.

Sometimes they can get lost in the general debate so if there was a specific thread for them as this is then they can all go in one place.

I'll kick off it off with a few

"Give it up for a Day" where fans/community could go down to Ground on a chosen day and help with certain things or projects that need doing whether it be painting walls, general clean up etc I know people already give up there own time to help but if there was perhaps a calendar day set aside with certain tasks to be done it could tick off a lot of things in one go?

Maybe somebody from the Club could look at doing a weekly blog perhaps which can be anything from insights of how the Club works but maybe introductions to each member of staff and there roles within the Club just something different to the norm on the website?

A meet & Greet in the Lounge before the Season kicks off where fans can go down and combine watching the team go through a training session on the pitch with fans watching from perhaps the main stand and then if the lounge is open & the shop a few things can be combined in terms of getting things autographed having a chat with staff/players just all things Stanley to wet the appetite for the forthcoming season.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2011, 08:48   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Ideas Thread

I like the meet & great idea.

But thats kinda what happens anyway when season tickets are picked up.

Like the idea about an open training session for the fans though.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 09:04   #3

Personally, i think the ground needs a bit of facelift. New changing rooms are a must, they havnt changed one bit in over 30 years. I know sometimes it can act as an advantage when youve got teams that hate coming here and the team can play on that but they need doing up bit time.

Also toilets around the ground, there are no where near enough when games are just under 2k never mind big play off games that weve had this year, issues like this need sorting out cause i doubt they even meet regulations.

A roof over away end would be nice but not particularly bothered, would attract more away fans but suppose if your really bothered about the rain you would just go in cowshed.

And obviously theres the pitch..

AccyAggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 09:24   #4
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Nice idear Google Page Ranking I was down at the club yesterday and a priority list of jobs todo exists!!! Some with easy fix and little time needed and some that takes a bit of time,I have said i will help when i can so if anyone else has a bit of spare time pm MrT
Old 28-05-2011, 10:01   #5
Senior Member+

Sort the club house out!!! Fix the roof properly so it doesn't leak at all, take the old bar and back bar out and refit with a new bar, back bar and small cooking area which uses the limited space much better. Deep clean the entire sports bar. You don't want to know what colour Emily's socks were after her birthday party last year, needless to say they were no longer white and there was no saving them from the bin!! Yuck!! Generally all I'm saying is make it into a useable venue again!!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 11:55   #6
God Member

build the clubhouse out into the car park (direction of the Crown pub) and square it off. We'd lose about 4 car park spaces at the most but gain additional capacity for approximately another 100 people. Turn the bar around so that it runs directional with the touchline. This way you could leave the sponsors alone (both rooms if they sort out that stupid room) and they'd have their own bar. They could eat their meals in there as well whilst other people (not sponsors) would just have a table reserved in the main bar.

Thats the problem sorted of opening the bar pre-match without upsetting the match sponsor. Thats the problem of getting fans into the bar pre match sorted.

Invest in some real wood flooring, some quality varnish and seal (and plenty of it, don't scrimp for the sake of fifty quid and it'll last plenty longer). Then invest in a proper floor buffing machine and some cleaning stuff (not borrowed or cadged so that its the wrong stuff but "it'll do". Thats the floor sorted.

Get the brewery in to revamp the 'cellar' and get it right to begin with. The quality of the lager is amongst the worst in town and has been for a good few years. Get some decent variety of stock - particularly for the younger drinkers (those with disposable income).

Now all it needs is a permanent management team/person. Someone who isn't going anywhere soon and has ideas on how to move it forwards, someone who is able to keep records of what do's have been had and when (if someone has an 18th then surely there is another event in 3 years?)., someone who can bring it all together and make it work and keep it working. Give them a decent commission based wage and everyone earns then.

I've always thought that the clubhouse should be more than capable of taking £10k a week.
Old 28-05-2011, 12:05   #7

as i study media production at university, i emailed the club asking them if i could get involved making videos interviewing and that. They didn't get back to me, but i think that would be a good idea!
Old 28-05-2011, 14:51   #8
God Member

One factor with the Club house other than match days is footfall, what is the catchment area for any venture outside those hours on a matchday.

A good indication for all that is something we already have which is the Crown.

SFFS
Old 28-05-2011, 15:17   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
One factor with the Club house other than match days is footfall, what is the catchment area for any venture outside those hours on a matchday.

A good indication for all that is something we already have which is the Crown.

Not the same animal though are they ?

The clubhouse done up would be a far more attractive venue for private functions. Does the Crown have a private function room ? Only been in twice so I haven't a clue
Old 28-05-2011, 16:24   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Not the same animal though are they ?

The clubhouse done up would be a far more attractive venue for private functions. Does the Crown have a private function room ? Only been in twice so I haven't a clue
Correct they are seperate things but do you then aim for just a niche as just a facility that can be hired out for private functions or do you look to maximise potential footfall with other things added into the mix?

I am not sure what Accy/Hynburn is like for for parties in terms of facilities in the borough and is the room f.o.c or is there room hire, pay for bar staff etc.

Over here there is a real mix of places some offer free room hire but you tend to find they are already in the hostelery trade, there are also the Council run venues, church halls etc.

I am sure there is more mileage in the Lounge for whatever comes along and it should be at the heart of the Club as Macca says generating an all year round income.

SFFS
Old 28-05-2011, 19:27   #11
God Member

you are somewhat limited what you can do with the Crown regardless of footfall. It doesn't lend itself to a natural viewing angle for anything in particular.

There are niches available that aren't exploited for whatever reason by anybody. A quick example would be a comedy night. Every week. A one off doesn't appeal all that much as word has to get around. But if, say, every sunday evening was to become comedy night (rather than the usual saturday afternoon) then word gets around and it becomes 'the' niche venue for that. It could also become the towns Premier venue for hosting band nights of whatever ilk. I wanted to book a Bon Jovi tribute band for my 30th birthday but the cost was too much. They wanted around a thousand pounds plus accomodation expenses if they weren't in the area the night before. If a venue was to pay that they aren't limited to a particular weekend and the first expense can be met by 200 people paying a fiver each. Would 200 people attend a well publicised event like that in a proper club? Probably. The point is that there aren't any venues in Accrington any more that are willing to go to the lengths that we could. But the clubhouse at the moment couldn't host those sort of events well enough to become a money maker.
Old 28-05-2011, 21:20   #12
Resting in Peace

Get Coley to have the lads playing like Barca next season. Perhaps McConville can be the next Lionel Messi?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 21:31   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Get Coley to have the lads playing like Barca next season. Perhaps McConville can be the next Lionel Messi?
at the same time he should get Barca fer his testimonial.
Old 29-05-2011, 22:55   #14

A local semi pro team to me (Gainsborough Trinity FC) have announced on their website 2 'trial days/open days' for people to go down and show what they've got. All you had to do is email them your details and give a quick description of yourself. Maybe something like this would be a good idea?.. Get the management and scouts down possibily even a couple of players? It'd get the fans together and even locals who don't necessarily follow Stanley but may fall in love? who know's you may find the next Ryan! I'd 100% apply and come down to Stanley for the day(s) and give my all! I'm going to Gainsborough trials next month
lukeogtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 23:03   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

That i reckon is a superb idea Luke, best of british wi yer own trial.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..