Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 10:31   #1
Resting In Peace

Last Night's Game

I thought we played a hell of a lot better than last Saturday against Farnborough and but for two defensive mistakes and a couple of missed chances we would have beaten Tamworth easily. The committment was there last night from most players not like at Farnborough and with a little bit of luck we would have won.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2004, 10:59   #2
God Member

Re: Last Night's Game

I agree.. We did play noticably better and I thought we where in for a good win.. It was nowhere near as bad a display as Farnborough.... Commitment was in abundance thats for sure
Old 06-10-2004, 11:43   #3
Senior Member+

Angry Re: Last Night's Game

yeh played ok, cant believe he aint playin smithy tho
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:49   #4
Senior Member+

I find this slightly depressing. If we're relying on luck to beat sides like Tamworth, then what hope is there?
Old 06-10-2004, 19:00   #5

I am 100% behind, John Coleman, Jimmy Bell, Paul Cook and the lads but feel very frustrated watching the matches. Last night, poor Paul Mullen all alone again up there. I dont think its the right system. Liverpool play it with Cisse up front who, as we all know has electrifying pace, Garcia (who is no slouch) plays behind him. 2 world class players in a good, strong team. Paul was up against a giant of a man last night who won virtually every header (Matt Redmile). We continued to hit balls to Paul, who struggled if the ball was not perfect to him. On occasions he had to go right or left of the goal, crossed the ball in and nobody was there to finish off. I don't think we have the squad to change things. Would it have made a difference if Lutel was up front from the start? Arguably, his pace could have unlocked the Tamworth defence. Why not change things? I think now is the ideal time as we have lost 3 league games on the trot. Obviously coaches/managers talk and if they all know how we are going to play before we start game then surely it makes the task more and more difficult (maybe Tamworth knew and thats why they played Redmile to outjump Paul!! Redmile could not even run properly!) Ian Craney is an excellent player and he should have scored last night and so should Paul. Chances went begging. Tamworth scored virtually with every chance they had! I appreciate mistakes were made but you have to admire the way they finished their chances.

Does anyone agree that the team needs changing? I hope i dont recieve a torrent of abusive for this posting, i am merely expressing an opinion. and just want the team to start winning again! I still believe!
RossendaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 18:33   #6

I wont give you any abuse mate, from what I have just read it seems a pity that you dont pick the team!! No seriously I cannot understand (and have had this opinion for longer than 4 games) how a manager cannot see these things. PM isnt the kind of player to be stuck alone up front and never will be. Surely now is the time to tinker with the front line cos we cant play any worse. How about giving PM a rest and put evil up there with Lutel picking up the bits. Or even Ian Craney just sitting behing him in a similar role to Frank Lampard. I hear today that Howson has gone on loan to Droylsden, Iam sorry but if a player is good enough to get regular leauge footy for Chesterfield then how come he cant get a game for us!!! From what I have seen of the lad he seems more than capable. Happen a bit more of an extended run might have helped.......but seing that chopping and changing the defence is the norm this season who knows whats going to happen. But, hopefully we are having our dip early on so that will leave plenty of time to cruise to the title in April!!....fingers crossed.
THE PEEL PARK GHOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 18:40   #7
God Member

We scored two against Tamworth.. is the problem that we didn't score 4 or that we let 3 in?

I think you will find it is the defence that is the problem not the attack
Old 07-10-2004, 19:02   #8

I also agree that the defence is the problem, but if the attack are not holding the ball up or are outnumbered up there then we lose possession, thus creating a problem and putting pressure on our "understrength" defence, who seem at the moment to be making mistakes. I like Flynn, his experience can only be beneficial, Cavanagh also. Left back, I liked Howson, Hollis (shame he was released). Who partners Flynn? Williams, Smith, Halford???? Everyone on this messageboard seems to say Smith, but why does JC not pick him? Does he not show committment in training? Only JC and Smith know the answer. Maybe Smithy should play up front!

Lets hope we can right! I think we have bags of potential and some team is gonna get a bloody good hiding, hope its Hereford on Monday!
RossendaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..