Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2010, 14:53   #1

Last night's match - From a Burton fan

I am one of the fans to make the trip up last night. Was rather eventful with a crash on the M6 delaying the Brewers fans, and even causing fears that we would miss the start of the match.

I eventually got to a rainy Crown Ground on the supporters bus just as the match was starting. To be told that the open air away end behind the goal wasn't being opened, so our fans could stay dry in the side stand. Our fans attempted to stand in the spacious area behind the 2 rows of seats that actually existed to get together and get a good view of the match. Only for a group of jobsworthy stewards to order all the fans into seats at the front which weren't protected from the rainy conditions anyway. That really annoyed our fans, being messed about during the match. Especially getting split into rows of seats damaging the atmosphere. When there was tons of room behind the seats anyway .

Onto the football, the game was ruined by the rainy windy conditions. Making it hard for both teams to make an impact. The players can't play good football on a mud bath drenched pitch, so both teams had to play long balls most of the night.
Some of the chances Accrington did get I didn't understand how you didn't work our players as much from them.
Our players did handle the conditions better than Accrington though on the night. The first goal where a great run from Cleveland Taylor down the wing ending with him crossing the ball to Harrad to score being one example. And our players work rates were much better, although the last 2 games being packed with drama (6-5 Cheltenham loss and 2-2 late equaliser against Chesterfield) would have pumped them up.

I must say the Stanley Ultras are a credit the club though. How they can sing so passionately and loud throughout a game where their team weren't giving much to shout about, I don't know. Even singing at 2-0 down when it was already game over as well. The same song over and over does get boring to some after a bit, but I personally found it catchy .
Aldershot's Red Blue Army were the same when we went there though. They played terrible, but their fans still sang all the way through the match.

To conclude, I did enjoy my trip last night. Despite getting held up in traffic and getting bossed around by stewards, coming and seeing Burton win made the trip worthwhile . A reversal of the reverse fixture back in December.
adambrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2010, 15:10   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Last night's match - From a Burton fan

Our stewards are abit of a joke mate to be honest on occasion.

Hopefully once the roof goes on the away end this summer (fingers crossed) instances like that wont happen again.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 15:25   #3
God Member

Pretty sure those areas behind the seats are not designated as standing areas, even if there is a lot of room.
Old 24-03-2010, 15:29   #4
Senior Member+

There not Dave your right, but what harm are 50 people gonna do ? Not alot.
Old 24-03-2010, 15:43   #5

That was the stewards' view lancsdave. People asked why they couldn't stand in the area behind the seats. To get surprised by the steward responding that it was a seated area. We did get put in that stand because of the rain. To get saturated and drenched at the front of the stand anyway.
In the end they did let Burton fans stand up, but in the uncovered corner. When our fans attempted to stand there in the 2nd half, they got moved by steward who told them they weren't allowed to stand there .
But like Smudgie said, 50 fans or so standing behind the seats isn't exactly going to cause great amounts of danger to fellow supporters.

I did read about your fans having problems from your own stewards when you played Bradford, over flags. So the pushiness from the stewards didn't really surprise me.

My dad told me he had spoke to an Accrington steward at half time. And he got told that they were hoping to put a roof on the away end next season. And there were also plans to change that bus shelter like side stand we were in into a bigger stand.
adambrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 15:54   #6
Senior Member+

Yes mate we have big plans hopefully for the summer for the ground.

Lets be honest it cant be any worse lol
Old 24-03-2010, 15:58   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
There not Dave your right, but what harm are 50 people gonna do ? Not alot.

I was only dealing in facts, common sense at football grounds went out before England won the World Cup
Old 24-03-2010, 16:05   #8
Senior Member+

Haha true
Old 25-03-2010, 11:33   #9
God Member

Why were the 50 brewers made to sit down and not allowed to stand in the rain if they wanted to? Presumabaly so the stewards themselves could stand behind them, in the dry?
As Abe Lincoln said, "if you want to test a man's character, give him power". And a fluorescent yellow jacket.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 12:01   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Why were the 50 brewers made to sit down and not allowed to stand in the rain if they wanted to? Presumabaly so the stewards themselves could stand behind them, in the dry?
As Abe Lincoln said, "if you want to test a man's character, give him power". And a fluorescent yellow jacket.
I think ya hit the nail "Bang On The Head"
Old 25-03-2010, 12:03   #11
Senior Member+

Whilst we criticise the stewards in the away sect, would just like to point out that since the flags, the stewards have been absolutely spot on in the Clayton End. Polite, helpful & understand that when fans are going tonto because we are winning, there is never gonna be any trouble.....

Keep it up flouro's

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 20:47   #12
Senior Member+

Can I point out that the stewards who went to the away end were Blackburn Rovers stewards who work Accy matches when Rovers are not at home and were told to go and quell the trouble????? I with you AdamBrewer. Jobsworth the lot of them

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 21:40   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Can I point out that the stewards who went to the away end were Blackburn Rovers stewards who work Accy matches when Rovers are not at home and were told to go and quell the trouble????? I with you AdamBrewer. Jobsworth the lot of them
That figures they were complete ******* a while back on t clayton end.
Old 25-03-2010, 22:39   #14
Senior Member+

stanley stewards are now some of the worst in league 2.
a stain on the clubs image and the experience of visiting the crown ground.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 11:36   #15
God Member

Stewards are just like fans; there's good and bad.
After last season's match at Dagenham I emailed the club to thank their stewards for letting us sit for the second half out of the (horizontal) rain. A decent act, but they still had to throw some idiot out who abused their hospitality.
My concern is that the stewards are paid by the club (and presumably are not a neo-military occupation force) and represent the club. Is their jobsworth attitude to paying customers one that the club endorses?
What is needed are the type of stewards who appreciate that "the rules" can be applied with a bit of common sense and understand that there's a subtle difference in the potential risk from 50 Burton fans in the chicken shed compared with 500 West Ham Fans behind the Darwen end (assuming the Darwen end holds that many, and WHU still have any fans).
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..