Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 11:24   #1
Senior Member+

Latest Coleman announcement

According to an interview that JC has done recently with Radio Lancashire, he is looking to sign more attacking players (surely we still need defenders?) for next season and we're going to play a more attack minded type of football than we have this season.

I know this has been his philosophy for the last few years (it's ok to concede 2 because we'll score 3), but I must admit that it does concern me that he isn't talking about sorting the basics out i.e. the defense. I understand that it may result in a more entertaining spectacle than we've been served this season, but as a point for discussion, does anyone else think that this is the way forward? Is he admitting defeat on the defense front?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Latest Coleman announcement

We haven't had a defence for years. Coleman has signed centre halves by the dozen and then shipped them out. It's about time he admitted it he knows nothing about defending. If you don't concede goals you don't lose matches, but that is not his philosophy. By the way Darran Kempson hasn't been released by Shrewsbury but Colin Murdock (and experienced center half) has been released.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:00   #3
Senior Member+

we have some good defenders in our team already edwards has been in top form so has leam and cav has been playing very well since he came back! rocky has put in some good games this season before he got injured. king was than for some reason he dont play no-more

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:39   #4
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM View Post
we have some good defenders in our team already edwards has been in top form so has leam and cav has been playing very well since he came back! rocky has put in some good games this season before he got injured. king was than for some reason he dont play no-more
We have conceded 81 goals for goodness sake. We have played 45 league games we have only kept 8 clean sheets so in the other 37 games we have conceded 81 goals that is an average of 2.2 goals per game. Why don't you face reality OUR DEFENCE IS CRAP.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:53   #5

The more time you spend attacking,and keep the ball in the final third.The less time you need to defend!! If we attack for 90 mins and actually score,job done..............easy!! They always say,attack is the best form of defence....

Could be back to the Gary Pierce days,when everyone attacked,and to defend the ball cleared the stands,allowing time to regroup!!
Old 02-05-2008, 15:13   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth official View Post
The more time you spend attacking,and keep the ball in the final third.The less time you need to defend!! If we attack for 90 mins and actually score,job done..............easy!! They always say,attack is the best form of defence....

Could be back to the Gary Pierce days,when everyone attacked,and to defend the ball cleared the stands,allowing time to regroup!!
If it was that easy every team would be attacking, you have got to remember that the opposition are trying to stop you attacking and if they succeed then you have had it.
Old 02-05-2008, 15:47   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
If it was that easy every team would be attacking, you have got to remember that the opposition are trying to stop you attacking and if they succeed then you have had it.
It's a lot trickier than it seems then, as John Paul Sartre said,
"In football everything is complicated by the presence of the other team."

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 17:21   #8
God Member

Individual good performances by a couple of the defenders for large parts of the season have been overshadowed by bad defending as a team and as a tactically aware unit.

1. Some terrible mistakes have probably contributed ten goals.

2. Not defending the back post at corners has probably contributed ten goals.
3. Hoofing the ball straight to Mullin has invited the ball straight back at the defenders. We are allowing the opposition to fully control the game EVERY WEEK practically. When you spend 3/4 of the game defending it is hardly surprising when you concede 2.2 games a week.
4. Poor headed clearances. Ever noticed how our headers tend to go to the opposition and their headers tend to find shirts? As somebody has pointed out already - put it out if in doubt.

Harris and Proctor are both reasonable players at what they do. But for me it creates a problem because neither of them are particularly comfortable when holding and running with the ball. They can both tackle, they can both run and they can both find a decent pass, but playing them both together means that when we are trying to clear our lines we have two players across the middle of the pitch who are not being able to keep hold of the ball long enough for the team to get out. Thereby inviting the opposition straight back onto us again.

5. Playing players in the correct position when possible. Sound simple but Ian Craney may well be able to play up front in the hole but he is a midfielder who is used to being 15 yards deeper. Players instinctively get sucked into areas where they are more accustomed to being. Aswad Thomas a winger? dont make me laugh. Shaun Whalley is still learning the game and needs to be allowed to develop. Show him which bit of the field he is supposed to be in and leave him there - he'll come on quicker.

Coley seems to be able to get average players to perform above their station, if he can get them to start playing football 40 yards earlier we stand a chance of being a top half table. I personally don't think there is an awful lot wrong with the team as it is, just a bit of tinkering required here and there and we'd be fine

6. and sign a foil for Mullin or play McGivern.
Old 02-05-2008, 22:09   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
It's a lot trickier than it seems then, as John Paul Sartre said,
"In football everything is complicated by the presence of the other team."

He also said '
As far as men go, it is not what they are that interests me, but what they can become.

Can JC and JB ever become the Managers that the Stanley really need to progress beyond Division 2 ?

Can our current 'Defenders' ever become 'Defenders' ?

Will our Young Guns ever become the Star players that their potential would suggest?

Will the STYLE of the Club as a whole ever become the envy of the
other Clubs in the FA ?

Being the eternal optimist, and one in whose Breast Hope always springs eternal !. I believe that after the trials of the past Season
the Reds can achieve, and become so much more, in a much better way !.

That being said...we believers who 'keep the faith' can only make every effort to be behind the Club in everything it tries to do!!.

Jean-Paul Sartre also said Oggy...'No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point. !!!.

And how that can be applied to the present thread I've not a clue.YET !
But watch this space!!

'ON STANLEY...ON!!'...and become THE BEST !!!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 22:54   #10
Senior Member+

I've watched football all my life Yonman, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt -

Might wear it tomorrow.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 23:12   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
I've watched football all my life Yonman, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt -

Might wear it tomorrow.

TOUCHE !!!...and like Howlin' Wolf...I'm goin down slow!!!

Respect Man!
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 23:16   #12
Senior Member+

theres no information on stanley site about it

Old 02-05-2008, 23:34   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
theres no information on stanley site about it
wrong thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:45   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
none of them are good enough for league 2.

on loan kempson is miles better.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:55   #15
Senior Member+

but were not going to be able to sign him as he aint been released! aswad was also good but were not going to be able to sign him either or we! edwards leam cav n rocky r good enough for league two! but every is allowed thier own thoughts

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..