Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2016, 19:37   #1
God Member

League 3

Radical plans for Football League and football calendar revealed | Football Supporters' Federation

The term "league 3" is referenced numrous times in this document ...

I would be very interested to hear if ...
a) our Supporters Club are aware of this document
b) if there are any propsals to canvass ASFC fan's opinions
c) where ASFC stands on the whole thing

If, as I suspect, the vast majority are against this then we need to begin some sort of action. This WILL change the entire structure of football in this country and WILL spell the death of smaller clubs at any kind of senior level
Old 01-09-2016, 19:44   #2
God Member

Re: League 3

Just found the answer to c)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20160901-204128.jpg (277.4 KB, 49 views)
AccyMad likes this.
Old 01-09-2016, 19:58   #3
God Member

Oh my God, it starts! Total capitulation to the Premiership, not good reading at all
monkey hanger likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 20:17   #4
Senior Member+

I'm all for it, although league 2should really be called league 4 which is what it is.

Branding it as league 2 is comical
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:36   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I'm all for it, although league 2should really be called league 4 which is what it is.
Branding it as league 2 is comical
In that case, Davo, the other EFL divisions as proposed would have to be called League 5 and Leagues 6 North and South.

The whole scheme seems to be predicated on one thing - giving the Premier League and its masters, the TV broadcasters, additional weekend coverage in the HOPE that some of that extra money extracted from the TV companies will find its way out of the pockets of the Premier League and into those of the likes of Stanley.
Some hope.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:08   #6
God Member

we need a winter break to enable the likes of chelsea to play even more games in a season in the middle east. abba said it all, money, money,money.
AccyMad and winstanley asfc like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:26   #7
Senior Member+

Brings into question a broader issue to me and raises the question........

What is the National sport in the UK today?

I raise this having been thinking about a few issues both national and local.

1) Bearing in mind that most of the players in The Premier League are from abroad and paid grossly inflated salaries........
2) England's football team has been like a second tier outfit in international terms for years!
2) Accrington will not have a local amateur league for the first time since it was formed.........Only about 4 teams showed any interest....When I played in local football in the early seventies I can remember five divisions of 16 teams! Now our local playing fields are rarely used for football! The pitches were in use so much when I played that we played on a 'Brown Diamond' with bits of grass near the corner flags! The only brown bits I see on our local pitches now are from the back ends of dogs!
3) We couldn't even work out how to enter a team in football at the Olympic Games!
4) Outside of the Premier League, gates at League matches are generally much lower then fifty years ago.
5) Could it be that cycling and running have surpassed football as the main sports in which people take part in the UK? Then there is fishing long known as the highest participation sport in the country!
6) Clubs higher up the system don't seem to value the FA Cup and the League Cup, (or whatever they call it these days).

........Hmmmm.........I am sure that many of you will totally disagree with me of course..........but perhaps now that Morecambe FC have a 'sugar daddy' too, (from abroad!'), then all will be well in the world of football?

As ever.........just playing 'Devil's Advocate'.
AccyMad, cashman, sherry and 2 others like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:12   #8
God Member

got to agree with all of that choirboy especially the grass roots or mud roots local football in concerned. when i moved to keighley in 2010 they had just packed up their sunday league. i eventually joined the bradford alliance to referee. since then they have lost 4 divisions, not because of me before someone makes that point. lads just don,t seem as motivated as they did plus as the guys running clubs get older there are no one to replace them. councils also want their pound of flesh to get bigger every season for cold showers and not marking out pitches as regularly as they once did. about time the people at the top look past the premier league to see where the game is going.
choirboy likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41   #9
Senior Member+

I dont think its an isolated problem to football either to be honest.

I was a semi-pro badminton player in the early 2000's believe it or not........ The Blackburn & District league had 6 divisions of 10 team's at one point. This season its down to 2.

Sport participation (whether watching or not) has dropped year on year for 16 years now. I lie the blame firmly at the politicians when they decided P.E at school was not important.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:41   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have to say, kids in general have changed big time, wearas we used to go out all the time to play football/cricket etc etc, now they play gameboy and such electronic junk, its called progress, but i call it summat else.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:19   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Sport participation (whether watching or not) has dropped year on year for 16 years now. I lie the blame firmly at the politicians when they decided P.E at school was not important.
You're spot on Smudgie. The lack of teachers in Primary schools, where interest in sports was 'embedded' in the past, who are able, willing and have the time to promote team sports is a factor. Politicians made it worse by turning sports into an out-of-hours activity. But then, with a handful of notable exceptions, as a breed those who go into politics seem, to me, to be the type who were/are not interested in team games as we on here understand them.
smudgie, Revived Red and sherry like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 18:45   #12

Don't think you can pin this one on schools or politicians.

40 years ago what else was there to do apart from kicking a pig bag? And it was something you could do whenever you liked without your mum/dad driving you there.

Can't blame running for taking away potential footballers either. The standard at the top has declined to a shocking degree (OK, there's more middle aged folk doing parkruns and the like). I would say the majority of cyclists are middle aged too.

There's simply more things to do that doesn't involve moving your legs quickly.
cashman likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 19:01   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I'm with his lordship on this un, I dont blame schools, though i would love to be able to blame the other lot, afraid i cant,
Old 02-09-2016, 20:08   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have to say, kids in general have changed big time, wearas we used to go out all the time to play football/cricket etc etc, now they play gameboy and such electronic junk, its called progress, but i call it summat else.

Hey up Cashy......
Don't forget to include my favourite game with the girls that we used to play behind the garages....'Kiss Catch'
Old 02-09-2016, 20:18   #15
Senior Member+

I don't think that we can blame teachers for the drop in sport participation.
Mrs Choirboy and I are both retired teachers. I taught in a secondary school and did extra curricular football, athletics and cross country on wet cold winter lunchtimes! Mrs choirboy and I both worked very hard in fulfilling jobs. Now our two daughters are both teachers and I have to say that they work even harder than we did in our day! The 'Squeeze' on teachers time is just too much these days and the pressures to jump through performance hoops is simply excessive! Mrs Choirboy came up with a comment more than ten years ago that...."Children these days are doing too many screen based activities".
Sounds a bit like us 'owd codger's here on Accy Web too!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..