Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2023, 17:12   #1
Full Member+

Lincoln City Post Match

What a difference a week makes. Last week we competed with a premiership team for 60 minutes+ and this week we decide to lie down and be trampled on by a team no better than us. Today was an ideal opportunity to pick up precious points and we never turned up. Theres only one direction we are going unless theres a turnaround in every direction pretty damn quick.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-02-2023, 17:25   #2
God Member

Exclamation Re: Lincoln City Post Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
What a difference a week makes. Last week we competed with a premiership team for 60 minutes+ and this week we decide to lie down and be trampled on by a team no better than us. Today was an ideal opportunity to pick up precious points and we never turned up. Theres only one direction we are going unless theres a turnaround in every direction pretty damn quick.
Meekly surrendering our league 1 status by the week not helped by a lackluster management team on the touchline who seemed to have accepted that very fact.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 18:10   #3
God Member

Re: Lincoln City Post Match

I give Stanley an A for that performance.
A for Abysmal.
Only Longelo deserved any credit in an otherwise pointless performance.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 18:38   #4
God Member

Shaun Whalley played well and Harvey was OK

Other than those 3, it was terrible...

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 18:40   #5
God Member

Strikers coming on for 10 minutes are not included

Old 04-02-2023, 18:47   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I have NEVER seen i performance as poor as that today by us it was ABISMAL
Tommy McQueen likes this.
Old 04-02-2023, 18:58   #7
God Member

Behave Cashy, it was NOT that good

Old 04-02-2023, 19:14   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Shaun Whalley played well and Harvey was OK

Other than those 3, it was terrible...

Ryan Astley was having a decent game until he was forced off through injury. Yes, the performance was abject & the result a disaster but foremost in my mind is how Doug Tharme is, it was a sickening collision which their lad appeared almost unscathed from - Doug's mum was sat in front of us - no matter how we all felt, that poor lady was definitely feeling worse
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 19:19   #9
God Member

Ryan had a terrible game AccyMad... Beaten for pace time after time and got away a few....

Choirboy was correct in the fact that Doug and Ryan have been great in a 4, but were found out in a 3..........

Agree about Doug it was another terrible challenge from an Imps player, one person to blame for that.............

cashman and choirboy like this.

Old 04-02-2023, 19:19   #10
God Member

And I sound like Cashy............

Old 04-02-2023, 19:31   #11
Senior Member+

I don’t usually make any public comments after a defeat………but today I cannot stay silent. Today was probably our worst performance in years.
As we could clearly see in the first ten minutes today our back three were totally stretched across the pitch and Astley and Tharme were totally beaten for pace. We desperately miss Mitch Clarke at the right side of our defence and it was blatantly obvious that we needed to make an early tactical change to a flat back four. Sean Mac has been a great servant for Stanley but I am afraid that the words ‘has been’ are so obviously applicable now. Since Sean had his bad Achilles injury he has not been the same player. He rarely tackles an opponent and stands off opposing attackers, also he cannot dribble past an opponent. His corners and free kicks are so predictable making it very easy for opposing goal keepers and centre backs to deal with.
Tharme and Astley have played quite well when not stretched out across the pitch but today they were torn apart simply by pace. Tharme to me looks a bit heavier than before his injury a few weeks ago.
We missed Seamus Coneelly particularly today in midfield. His experience and positional sense keeps the play tight.
Ross Longelo was our only player capable of beating opponents but like last week our opponents were allowed to foul him at will. Eventually he drifted out of the game too. Toby did manage to keep the score down late on in the match but he really makes me nervous when he has to kick out from back passes!!!
IMHO we finished with eight players on the pitch today…..two off injured, one sent off, subs used up and Sean Mac still on the pitch.
In terms of ‘Luck’ everything seemed to go against us today…..poor tactics and lack of tactical changes did not help but every bounce of the ball seemed to go against us! The referee IMHO was poor but we still would have lost had he been a good ‘un. His decision to give Woods a yellow card for his first tackle was ridiculous and summed up his refereeing today! Woods had won the ball cleanly! He gave yellow cards for petulance but not for the continuous fouls on Longelo and Pressley!
I know that in truth if all of our squad were available and fully fit then only three or four of todays selection would be in the first eleven.
It will be interesting to see what changes are made in selection, tactics and formation for Tuesday.
Finally, I hope that Doug Tharme and Ryan Astley aren’t badly injured and that we can get some of our boys recovering from injury back soon.
Disappointed to see some fans leaving early today……we stayed until the end and always will.
ON STANLEY ON.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 20:27   #12
Senior Member+

I am Saddened by the fact that a team representing our Club have arrived at the point where ineptitude on the part of the players and an apparent lack of interest bordering on apathy shown by the Management seems to be the Status Quo.
' Injuries to key players ' : ' Poor Referees ' : ' Luck not going our way ' will be amongst the mantras rolled out for us to listen to and be persuaded of their veracity.. But even the most optimistic of our army of fans must see that this current trend of poor quality players being guided by poor tactics can only lead the Club in one direction, that being towards a descent and long stay in League 2.
Here I am playing the prophet of doom again, a task which I hate with all my heart. But like Choirboy says " it's hard to keep silent ".
My last hope is that Doug and Ryan are not suffering tonight !.

QUO VADIS STANLEY ??.
pifco, choirboy, andyd and 2 others like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:10   #13
Full Member+

Difficult for Coleman with the funding tap turned off.

Fans abusing fans, and chants of paedo to home fans for leaving during the injury after 91 mins, after getting the club fines with homophobic chants.

3 centre backs now out for Vale.

It was a poor day, and we were weakened during the window.

Just gone odds on to be related, but 5/6 is really 50/50. I can see the odds getting shorter on Tuesday, but Stanley often pull something out when it looks hopeless....
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:41   #14
Full Member+

The main problem is the likes of Bishop, Butcher, Charles (yes Charles) Burgess and Clarke have never been adequately replaced like for like and then we lost the two main centre backs at the start of the season. This now means we are playing with 4 or 5 players who are simply not good enough for League 1 football or, in the case of the young lads, not quite ready. Theres no one in the current team who have fires in their bellies who will get others fired up for the fight week in week out.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:42   #15
Senior Member+

Thumbs down Re: Lincoln City Post Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
The main problem is the likes of Bishop, Butcher, Charles (yes Charles) Burgess and Clarke have never been adequately replaced like for like and then we lost the two main centre backs at the start of the season. This now means we are playing with 4 or 5 players who are simply not good enough for League 1 football or, in the case of the young lads, not quite ready. Theres no one in the current team who have fires in their bellies who will get others fired up for the fight week in week out.

Another interesting sight to note yesterday ?..
Lincoln's captain , who was arguably the MOM , was incessantly driving his players on ( even though it wasn't really all that necessary ?)..whilst our Captain, who was arguably the worst player on view, did little or nothing for the cause ( apart from lobbing high balls to no one in particular !).
Odds on he'll be doing the same at Port Vale !..
Watchdog likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..