Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2009, 20:07   #31
Super Moderator

Re: Match Off!

IF people want THE FACTS, PM me and I'll give you what I believe.

To my knowledge the club did nothing wrong; but you need to understand "the rules"
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2009, 20:20   #32
Senior Member+

its because the previous regimes idea of spending a 5 figure sum on the pitch was £100.00 not the 5 figure thousands needed.

Cardboard thrupennybits' idea for pitch care was to roll it repeatedly thus causing the compaction of the in soil air pockets which help water drain out into the water table, the result of which is a pitch that holds water on the surface and struggles to drain it away. I spent time talking to former groundsman Gary on this subject before he left and he was saying at that point that the pitch in his opinion needed virtidraining and re-airiating before being rotavated, fed properly and reseeded with one of the higher quality highly durable grasses now being used at the top level. Bear in mind that this was 2 and a half seasons ago (minimum) and you can see what Buzzer is up against.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 20:50   #33
Super Moderator

PS

Gary TOP FELLA (with massive experiance)

As is Buzzer!!
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 21:41   #34

Are artificial pitches banned in the football league?
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 21:48   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Are artificial pitches banned in the football league?
Please don't go there!
The whole surface needs raising about a foot or so and new drains put in. I think Rovers did this about 10 years ago when they lost a lot of fixtures, but I hate to think what it cost them.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 21:51   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post

To my knowledge the club did nothing wrong; but you need to understand "the rules"

I would imagine it costs extra to call the match referee in early
Old 25-11-2009, 22:04   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post
But why does the pitch have poor draining???=Tinpot methods used in the past.

We were the only game in the league/conference to be called off, not good enough and more lost revenue, how many new shirts would we have sold
probably tinpot in past, think wait n see what happens wi the "New Broom" things like this take time n money, the blame thing is oer, too late was the cry!, lets look forward n cross fingers n see how stuff develops is my view.
Old 25-11-2009, 22:23   #38
God Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Marc ur a wind up merchant...pm me for the facts...then quickly change to well no what I believe are the facts....why try and make rumours? :-s
John_Timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 23:09   #39
Senior Member+

Whats much more tinpot is that only 162 fans bothered to travel to Valley Parade....

Moaning about the rain is so Cockermouth '09

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 23:33   #40
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post
Whats much more tinpot is that only 162 fans bothered to travel to Valley Parade....

Bothered WM!!! I would think more would attended if fans had more Discretionary income to play with.As this does aply to me its exspensive specialy when your paying for 3 and cant aford togo to away games as offten as i'd like to except for the odd one or two,So to say Bothered i guess you and 161 others are the lucky ones.
Old 25-11-2009, 23:34   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post

Willie,off just oer 1200 or so at home games 162 aint bad.
Old 25-11-2009, 23:59   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Matthew View Post
But why does the pitch have poor draining???=Tinpot methods used in the past.

We were the only game in the league/conference to be called off, not good enough and more lost revenue, how many new shirts would we have sold
Think you might want to check your facts on this one, because Mansfield v Luton Town was also called off for a waterlogged pitch

PS it was called off on Tuesday morning as well

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 10:31   #43

For those who are to young or didn't attend games in the 80's 90's & early 2000's. The pitch was a disaster, diesel or heavily contaminated water having come from the Brick Works lay just under the surface. The playing surface now at The Crown as improved beyond recognition, not due to good luck but by the powers that be John Alty, Eric Whalley spending what the club could afford, and also by the dedication of people of people like Jim Shaw.
Money was spent during the close season to have the pitch verti drained, sanded & re seeded the improvement was quickly there for all to see.
Later on it was wings that proved to be in need of further work, this was done and proved to be a success.
As for the man who came from Man City he quickly came and went another who proved to be a Legend in their own Lunchtime.
You only need to watch the old 1st Div games to see how much playing surfaces have improved, it is a never ending spending spree but one that ultimately pays off.
Long time red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 10:39   #44

when will sat days game be called off . .........
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 12:09   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

if ya lived local mark you would know the facts! as is printed on the fishy site =
The surface had coped well with the wet weather throughout the day but a period of heavy rainfall in the hour up to 5pm has left areas of the pitch very heavy, and the match referee has made the decision to postpone the game.----
this is utter crap, i was passing the crown approx 4-20 ish was no heavy rain whatsoever, Grimps posted there was water on the pitch in places when he left at 2-00 ish, stanley fans came from afar, yet mr heys is quoted as saying " a period of heavy rainfall in the hour before 5-00pm made pitch unplayable" well sorry the FACT is that did not occur! and the thing most fans i talk to want is they just want the simple truth, is still NOT happening,i agree that had the match started,its odds on it would not have been completed, but thats another issue. seems some things will never change up yon, that is only to the clubs deteriment.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..