Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By KiTChener
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By KiTChener

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2017, 21:28   #1

Memories of Luton Town

Our game this weekend brought back memories of a different era, when Town were one of the top League One teams, & at the time, I was a kid of about 12/14 yrs old, living in Manchester, & supporting City.
I had supported City from the first game I saw them play, which also happened to be the first game I saw on black & white TV.... it was the FA cup final of 1955, they were playing Newcastle United, & early on, City had the misfortune to lose a player, Jimmy Meadows, to a broken leg... in those days, no subs allowed, so City went down to ten men for the remainder of the game, & finished up losing 3-1.
The big thing, however, was the City captain, Roy Paul, stating in the post match interview 'We'll be back next year, & win it'!
Indeed they did!
This was the famous final when City beat Birmingham City, 3-1 despite their keeper, the fantastic Bert Trautmann suffering a broken neck after diving in to make a save.
These games were my introduction to 'top class' football, yet it would be a couple of years or so before I was able to attend a 'live'game!
Anyway, back to the Luton connection.....
Can't remember the exact date, or even year, but City had a home game against LTFC, & I was stood in my usual position behind the goal that City were attacking in the first half.... the rain was bucketing down, the pitch was totally waterlogged, in those days, we didn't have a Kevin Ellison type telling the ref to call off the game!
Suffice to say, the game went ahead, & by half time, city were leading 6-1, with all of their goals scored by a certain Mr D Law, who not many people remember even played for City!
You know what's coming next?
Yes, the ref (I'm sure an ancestor of a Mr Kettle!) decided that the game could not continue, & was called off!
The ironic thing is, that when the game was rearranged towards the end of the season, City conspired to lose 3-1!
It is a shame that Denis Law could never have those six goals credited to him, but he did, if I remember correctly, go on to have a half decent career after leaving City!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2017, 12:05   #2
God Member

Re: Memories of Luton Town

'The King' was my boyhood footballing hero.
KiTChener likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:08   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I always remembered Law being done outa them 6 goals, though thought it was 5? but could never recall who they were playing in that cup tie, ta fer recalling it.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 08-01-2017, 19:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I always remembered Law being done outa them 6 goals, though thought it was 5? but could never recall who they were playing in that cup tie, ta fer recalling it.
pretty sure it was 6, Cashy, & it was a Div 1 game, not cup tie, that's why it was rearranged towards end of season.
Old 08-01-2017, 19:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
'The King' was my boyhood footballing hero.
Trautmann was mine

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..