Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-10-2009, 15:21   #1
Senior Member+

My 1st FANZONE effort is online, your opinions people please :)

Sky Sports | FanZone | Blogs | League Two | Accrington Stanley | Lee | We're still Stan-ding

Following last weekend's 4-0 demolition of fellow mid-table side Cheltenham Town a strange thought crossed my mind. If only the people responsible for running the club could take some inspiration from the players currently playing on the pitch.
Our state of affairs off the pitch have been well documented with the club having to find £300,000 for HMRC before the end of October or face a winding-up order.
How the situation has come about, nobody knows, after all it was only 18 months ago that former chairman Eric Whalley stated that 'the club is in no debt whatsoever'.
Eric has come and gone, and a new chairman and board where appointed in the summer, bringing renewed optimism to the hardy Accrington supporter.
However what they have been faced with has been nothing short of a nightmare, with the smallest crowds in the Football League, and being geographically so close to the likes of Premiership Blackburn Rovers and the new boys Burnley.
The full ins and outs of the backroom situation will be discussed another time, but God only knows where we can find a reported £200,000 before the end of the month!
Despite this chaos, what has happened on the pitch has been nothing short of remarkable.
Resurrection

Having lost to a very good Rotherham side on the opening day of the season, a superb Carling Cup victory against Walsall and home win against Lincoln followed. Then came the customary slump with four defeats on the spin, which left us almost at the foot of the table.
Another League Two relegation battle looked on the cards, but since the news of the winding-up order has come to the light the players' response has been nothing short of superb.
Four of the next five games resulted in Stanley victories including a brilliant away victory to League One Oldham Athletic in the JPT first round.
The Oldham game could have been a turning point in our season; it was however a scrappy victory but I'll take it.
The real almost unbelievable football has occurred in the last couple of weeks. Following the 5-3 demolition of Crewe Alexandra at home, Gudjon Thordasson lost his job, but during the game some of the football we actually played was superb.
A very creditable away draw followed at Port Vale with a last-minute loss at Chesterfield.
Last weekend's destruction of Cheltenham was probably the best 45 minutes of football I've ever seen at Accrington, with the re-vitalised Bobby Grant scoring another brace, including a brilliant 20-yard chip.
Rumours are he's a wanted man by none other than former Burton manager Nigel Clough, now plying his trade at the mighty Derby County. One million is about the asking price if you ask me, but about £200,000 will do!
On Stanley, on!
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-10-2009, 17:03   #2
God Member

Re: My 1st FANZONE effort is online, your opinions people please :)

Nice effort SMUDGIE..you negelected to mention the QPR bit..still, a nice read. Well done.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 17:06   #3

yeah - good effort
Bradshaw Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 21:24   #4
Senior Member+

I like it. A great improvement on some of the egoistic attempts made by others in recent seasons. I hope you can keep it up. Good luck.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote

« v Rovers | Skipper »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..