Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2007, 13:17   #1
Senior Member+

Our problem....

With all the criticism of Evil and us not scoring goals I thought I'd add my opinion on what I think is going wrong. In a nutshell its our midfield, in particular central midfielders.

Evil has come in for a lot of criticism recently and I agree he's not fit but without slagging Mullers off, he hasnt done anything yet this season. BUT In my opinion it isnt both of the strikers fault, they just aren't getting the service. We've always been a team who create lots of chances in games but this season we havent been making them.

As I said before i think the problem is the midfield. Our central midfield is made up of two defensive minded players, with no flair or real attacking threat. That doesn't mean I'm slagging them off, it just means we haven't got that mould of a central midfielder who will provide the link to the strikers, just as Craney did, and score 10 goals a season and create. I think someone like that has to be brought in. The other problem with the midfield is the left hand side. I like Shaun Whalley but, as a sub. Boco isnt a left midfielder and our final ball especially from the left is poor.

Both Mullers and Evil are having to drop too deep as we havent got that link from midfield to attack, in a way they are trying to do too much and its frustrating for them and for us to watch as they are just marked out of the game.

Last season we scored in nearly every single game, we were the second highest scoring team in the league and we made lots and lots of chances. It just seems this season from the three games we aren't creating and making chances for the strikers which then leads to them, well Evil, being criticised.

How much did Swansea want for Craney?
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2007, 14:16   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Our problem....

Absolutly right.

although the right of midfield - aka miles has offered th team no balance.
most thngs happen with boco involved not miles.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 14:25   #3
God Member

and when that happens we start playing like amatuers evrybody gets sucked in down the right hand side and then it happens breakaway down the left handside nobody is there to cover either there is a last ditch tackle or the opposition score .its easy thats why the opposition pick up on these things darlington did it kick outs down the right handside switch wings and youll have clear run at goal
Old 27-08-2007, 14:33   #4
Senior Member+

I do think Miles is a good addition, his set pieces have impressed me and when he is on the ball he's effective, but as i said before there's no linking player....
Old 27-08-2007, 15:27   #5
Senior Member+

Sorry but I have to disagree with most of what has been written. The midfield was tremendous in the Leicester game, and I think Jay Harris has already won a man-of-the-match award. On the evidence of that game (the only one I have seen) and of various reports on all the matches, it appears that there has been a reluctance to shoot and chances have been missed.

I feel we have not got the tactics right at all yet. We are certainly not using John Miles as he was used so effectively at Macclesfield. I think the word "disorganised" cropped up more than once in the commentary on the Lincoln game. That is a worrying word.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 15:31   #6
Senior Member+

Jay Harris is a excellent defensive midfielder, i'm a big fan of his but in my opinion him and Procter in the centre of the midfield will not work, neither of them will score you more than 2 or 3 a season and make a lot of goals.....
Old 27-08-2007, 17:10   #7
Senior Member+

Looked at another way, our problem is ...... no Andy Todd.
Old 27-08-2007, 17:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Looked at another way, our problem is ...... no Andy Todd.

Nail, Head.
Thin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 17:33   #9
Senior Member+

Maybe your right. But I think in order to be successful in this league we definately need a midfielder who will attack and get at teams, score goals and make them....
Old 27-08-2007, 17:52   #10
Senior Member+

..... like Toddy did last season.
Old 27-08-2007, 18:00   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

So it's Todd out fat Wrexham reject in equals a lack of goals, I agree.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 19:36   #12
Senior Member+

I said last week that Todd is sorely missed. Every time we attacked, Todd was in the box, usually coming in at the back.

Too often this season we've been light in the penalty area and that means we aren't going to score.
Old 27-08-2007, 19:54   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I said last week that Todd is sorely missed. Every time we attacked, Todd was in the box, usually coming in at the back.

Too often this season we've been light in the penalty area and that means we aren't going to score.
I would try Rommy in that role!
He has the potential to unlock defences and certainly knows where the goal is!

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 21:04   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
I would try Rommy in that role!
He has the potential to unlock defences and certainly knows where the goal is!
Immediate problem being that Boco's away for two weeks on international duty !

I think we've got to sign a few players before Friday, Two experienced defenders and another attacking midfielder. I think Craney is out of the equation though,as I can't see us shelling out £100k for him when we were reluctant to part with £50k(ish) for Baker (Southport now Morecambe) I wonder what sort of financial sum(s) the club is prepared to outlay in securing possible new signings???

I think it's more likely Coley is probably looking into loan options!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 21:08   #15
Senior Member+

I do agree, we miss Todd a lot. In Milesy we have brought in a player of the same quality, maybe even better technically. But Toddy used to get at the defenders and take em on, or just run into them! We need to bring in a midfielder who will frighten defenders.....before the transfer window ends!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..