Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2013, 18:37   #1
Senior Member+

Pompey Scouting Report

Mrs Chimer having come out lucky in a local draw for Pompey tickets, we wandered along the road to watch them against Northampton today. Remembering always that I'm a hockey player not a footballer ..........

They set up to play with big Patrick Agyeman up front on his own. To begin with they went route 1 and though he won lots of flick-ons nobody looked like getting on the end of them (now where have I read that before?) so they gave that up. Their real threats came down the wings from Wallace on the right, speedy and very skilful, and Holmes on the left, skilful and very speedy, for all that on first sight you'd think he's one of the mascots who didn't go off after the presentations. Unfortunately for a left winger, fortunately for Northampton, he doesn't have a left foot. So more crosses went in from the right, resulting in quite a bit of panic but no goals.

Defensively there was nothing particular I could spot, except that they play the ball around at the back quite a lot (which the crowd don't like) but the keeper seemed very solid dealing with crosses.

The crowd is a once-upon-a-time Premier League crowd watching League 2 football and pretty impatient and unforgiving. When they're up, they make a lot of noise - interestingly the main stands join in in full cry given a lead from the crowd behind the goal - but they can be shut up by a bit of pressure. The Cobblers probably brought 800-1000 who could often be heard in a 15000 crowd. Pompey were booed off at the end (and some of the Pompey support applauded the Cobblers players when they cam across to their fans at the end).

Away fans have the Milton End to themselves (although only allowed to use two fifths of it today - we'll need a tenth at best and need to huddle together for mutual support) but as far as I can tell have to buy tickets from a little ticket office at the entrance to the main (south) stand first.

The nearest pub to the ticket office is the Shepherds Crook on Goldsmith Avenue which welcomes away fans before (not after) the game and has an outside area with a tent selling burgers (no food inside - no space!). Logical plan would be to arrive and find somewhere to park (try south of Devonshire Avenue), buy tickets, go to pub, move to ground (only 5 mins).

Looking forward to it - On Stanley On!!
Old 30-12-2013, 10:07   #2

Re: Pompey Scouting Report

Thanks for the heads-up. See you Saturday - hopefully in the Sheps Crook for a pre-match anaesthetic.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:44   #3
God Member

How important is this game now absolutely huge real sixpointer

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:53   #4
God Member

After 2 points from the first 30, every game is a six pointer for Stanley for the rest of this season.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:13   #5
God Member

For all those cock-eyed optimists who try and forecast the scores, Stanley's "shooting" record this season (68 on target, 124 off) is the worst in the league, except for Pompey's (67 on, 122 off). Who's for a 5-5 draw?

[By the way, Fleetwood's shooting stats are the second best in the League 2 (106 on target, 182 off, and hit the woodwork 11 times!), so maybe a 3-1 defeat was not that surprising!]
Pendle Red likes this.
Old 02-01-2014, 14:21   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I wasn't surprised at the 3-1 defeat, Fleetwood have been up yon all season, but i was disappointed by the reported display we put on, by those who were there.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:24   #7
Senior Member+

I see the BBC report that the two people I saw as the biggest threats against Northampton (Wallace and Holmes) are both out injured as is the guy who was judged man of the match (East). So if I knew anything about football we should be all right now!

Unfortunately .......
Old 03-01-2014, 13:38   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I see the BBC report that the two people I saw as the biggest threats against Northampton (Wallace and Holmes) are both out injured as is the guy who was judged man of the match (East). So if I knew anything about football we should be all right now!

Unfortunately .......

If you knew anything about the weather you wouldn't have needed to post that
Old 03-01-2014, 13:43   #9

popped over to B & Q Pompey yesterday and crossed the road to get my match ticket to avoid queues Saturday. Told the guy that my last visit there was 55 years ago to the month & that with no subs we played the then top div outfit with 9 fit men & our keeper hobbling on the wing. "Let's hope for more of the same" he says - so your news Chimer increases my hopes of witnessing a reverse of that 1959 result and wiping the smile off the ticket guy's face.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 14:15   #10
God Member

Unfortunately you'll have to wait a bit longer.
At least it's been called off in good time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..