Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2005, 12:31   #1
Resting In Peace

Preston Tonight

From PNE website

Quote:
Billy Davies has revealed the squads which will be travelling to their respective fixtures at Accrington and Lancaster on Tuesday evening. Both teams have a strong look about them and once again it will provide a dilemma for North End fans as to which game to attend.

Accrington Stanley v Preston North End 7.45pm Tuesday 19th July 2005 - Interlink Express Stadium, Livingstone Road, Accrington Lancashire
£10 Adults, £6 Concessions, £3 Under 12s
Squad: Nash, Mears, Lucketti, Broomes, Davidson, Anyinsah, O'Niel, Skora, Smith Cresswell, Hibbert, Baker, Cudworth, Cropper, Sherwood, Brown, Parrillon, Howard.

Lancaster City v Preston North End 7.45pm Tuesday 19th July 2005 - Giant Axe, West Road, Lancaster, Lancashire.
£5 Adults, £3 Concessions
Squad: Ward, Alexander, Mawene, Elebert, Archer, Etuhu, Sedgwick, McKenna, Agyemang, Nugent, Dichio, Adams, McGarry, O'Brien, Warriner,Beattie, Maloney, McConville, McGrail
Two similar teams with a mixture of first team and reserves, but quite a difference in the admission prices - £10 at Stanley and only £5 at Lancaster
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-07-2005, 12:34   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Preston Tonight

I'm not going tonight, but I think I'll pop along tomorrow instead.
Old 19-07-2005, 12:49   #3
Full Member+

Yes, quite a price hike from the last year's £7 admission price for the pre-season friendlies (apart from against Burnley)!
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 14:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red
Yes, quite a price hike from the last year's £7 admission price for the pre-season friendlies (apart from against Burnley)!
That was the whole idea behind the pre-season ticket. the ticket (adult £30 concession £18 junior u12 £9) covers the four friendlies against championship/premiership opponents but you were only paying for 3. It works out at £7.50 per game.

FELIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 15:45   #5
Full Member+

Let's just say that it works for those of us who go to every game, but at £10 for a pre-season friendly, I doubt that we will attract as many people to the occasional pre-season game as we could do. Last Saturday's attendance was 617, lower than any pre-season Saturday game last year against League opposition, despite giving out free tickets to pupils at least one school (Moorhead) that I heard about.
Old 19-07-2005, 15:47   #6
Resting In Peace

The point is that they are friendlies against championship/premiership CLUBS, but not friendlies against championship/premiership TEAMS. Cardiff played their first team in the first half, Preston are only bringing half of their first team, Burnley will probably bring their first team, Wigan are playing Morecambe next Tuesday and Stanley next Wednesday, I don't think that they will field their first team for both games. Stanley are playing tonight and tomorrow night - I don't think that Stanley will field their first team on both occasions. Lancaster's friendly against half a Preston team is only £5 - that is the point.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 15:55   #7
Senior Member+

The preston team going to Lancaster is stronger than the one playing us WHY?
I would have thought the stronger team will play the better opposition
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 16:21   #8

So, Whalley Red & Jeff, which football team is it that you two support?
Do people think that stanley can get back in to the football league surviving on fresh air?

Trying new ideas and introducing new schemes to increase attendances is essential if the club are to succeed, financially speaking. They may not always get it right but I don't see why 'fans' see it necessary to criticise the club repeatedly when they could take the positive step of passing on their thoughts/suggestions to the club rather than make negative remarks in this forum

FELIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 17:01   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by FELIX
Trying new ideas and introducing new schemes to increase attendances is essential if the club are to succeed, financially speaking.
It's a good job I'm not in retail management, I would have never thought that taking something that was £7, raising it to £10 and introducing a "buy 3, get one free" idea would actually increase sales

And please read through my previous posts if you are going to label me as someone who "criticises the club repeatedly" - we are all entitled to our opinion, however supportive that may be
Old 19-07-2005, 17:55   #10
Full Member+

A quick survery of preseason ticket prices at other Northern clubs in the Conference (can't find any details on the awful websites for Southport & York):

Morecambe

"Admission for the home games against Blackburn Rovers and Wigan Athletic will be £8 for adults and £4 for others.

The games against Tranmere Rovers, Blackpool and Gretna are £6 for adults and £3 for others."

Altrincham

"Season tickets also confer free admission to the pre-season friendlies held at Moss Lane in July/August 2005."

Halifax

Same prices as us, but ...

"U12's will get in for free at the Leeds Utd home game on the 21st July"

Scarborough

"Boro are hoping that admission prices of £5 and £2 will appeal to loyal fans and tourists alike."

Enough said.

Old 19-07-2005, 18:08   #11
Senior Member+

Friendlies without "fan friendly" prices; ruddy extortionate in my opinion. The ticket deal is only any good if you are free to go to all matches. I will be saving the dosh and going to Smithy's Testimonial instead. I understand the need to make money but I really think people will be put off by these prices. Kids should get in free at friendlies to encourage an interest in the rest of the season.

Grrrr.
Old 19-07-2005, 20:34   #12

Thumbs down Re: Preston Tonight

I could not agree more!

Sorry Eric but i think that you have just blown your toes off with a twelve bore!!

I always thought that the primary objective of preseason friendlies was to create a competitve environment to examine options for the coming season!

Sadly in the commercial world of Conference football, (As interpretted by some) it has now become a revenue earner!

The people of Accrington deserve better!!
Old 19-07-2005, 20:56   #13
Full Member+

Just back from the game and with just 394 other people present, it can hardly be called a "revenue earner"!
Old 19-07-2005, 21:07   #14

Wink Re: Preston Tonight

As I said.............no toes on Eric's foot!!
Old 19-07-2005, 22:05   #15
Super Moderator

Well, could one of the few people who did go tell us how Stanley played please? Considering that Lancaster held the stronger Preston side to a draw, it seems a little worrying that we got beaten by the weaker line-up.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..