Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2010, 13:02   #1
Junior Member+

Pubs In The Mother Town

If anyone is planning to go to the boozer in Burslem on Friday I'd be looking at the following if I were you. This was originally posted on the Dartford forum as they'd never had the pleasure of our hospitality before so some of you guys may already know this, but what the heck.

The Bulls Head, brewery tap for Titanic Ales, has 8 hand pumps, 3 Titanic Ales and 4 guests plus a 'real cider'. This is the furthest away from the ground (10 mins walk). 15 yards closer is the newly refurbished and reopened Duke William which 8 hand pumps, regulars such as Pride and Abbott, plus 6 guests, they sometimes have stuff on from Sarah Hughes. Then there's The Leopard another 50 yards closer only 6 pumps on here so you'll struggle a bit.

All of the above welcome away fans and children, the Duke William has a resturant upstairs so will do food, The Bulls and Leopard only do sandwiches and pork pies and the likes.

Alternatively........The Post Office Vaults is a cracking little boozer also called the Post Office Stamp as it's so small, get 20 people in there and it's uncomfortably full. 4 ales on and the best kept in Burslem, it's usually for home fans not because of the natives but because it's so small, nip in here if you get there early, it'll probably be your only chance.

If none of them takes your fancy and you want cheap then there's the Saggar Makers which is a Last Orders pub, limited selection but cheap at £1.90 pint. There's also (in order of suitability for away fans) The Old Smithy, The Roebuck, The New Inn.

BTW the old away pub The Vine has closed (probably due to the lack of away numbers).

Hope this helps, have a safe journey.

Cjheers

Neil
NellyTheValiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2010, 13:13   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Pubs In The Mother Town

Thanks, Nelly. I'd already pencilled in the Bull's Head both pre- and post-match and I think a few others have as well. Splendid pint last time I visited.

Most of us can manage a 10-minute walk so have you any ideas for street parking near the pub, please?

I assume that your 8-3 prediction is a joke! It would be some match, though. We've lost 8-2 away before but never 8-3!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 18:09   #3
Resting in Peace

Titanic Ales Hell I bet that goes down well
Old 25-11-2010, 19:15   #4
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Thanks, Nelly. I'd already pencilled in the Bull's Head both pre- and post-match and I think a few others have as well. Splendid pint last time I visited.

Most of us can manage a 10-minute walk so have you any ideas for street parking near the pub, please?

I assume that your 8-3 prediction is a joke! It would be some match, though. We've lost 8-2 away before but never 8-3!
Bit of a tough one TBH, if you get there early there are a few parking spaces right outside the Bulls on St Johns Square, failing that you can park on Westport Road which is opposite. The Natwest Bank and the India Cottage are on opposite corners.

Alternatively you could just park on the ground and walk down, the car park is right outside the away end. Don't think that there'll be too many there so getting away from the ground won't be too much of a problem.
Old 25-11-2010, 19:48   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks. I'll try and get there early!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 22:53   #6
Senior Member+

cheers Nelly last time a lot of thick necks and burberry, has it changed?
Old 26-11-2010, 14:54   #7
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
cheers Nelly last time a lot of thick necks and burberry, has it changed?
Yeah we've still got our fair share of nutters but generally if you keep your head down don't act like an idiot and treat people the way you'd like to be treated then you'll be okay 99% of the time.

You'll be okay wearing your colours in the pubs mentioned above, certainly in the Bulls, Leopard and Duke. Post Office is a funny one you can't get more than 20 people in there so by my reckoning there'll only be room for 1 nutter at a time anyway.....unless you're very unlucky

BTW it looks like the games on but it's going to be very very cold. Don't forget your hip flasks.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..