Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2014, 10:53   #16

Re: RIP Eric Whalley

So very sad to hear the news of Eric's passing. I will always remember the special moments we all shared over the years and the celebrations in the Crown after the games. Our thoughts are with Eric's family. RIP Eric (say hello to Phil for us) x
coley1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2014, 12:27   #17

Rest in piece Eric
hasyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 19:19   #18

RIP Eric Whalley. You left an indelible mark on this small cotton town. Your service as a player, manager and latterly as chairman who delivered the impossible dream will never be forgotten. Great memories from a great man.

After relegation from the NPL the 4-500 who used to go on would have been taken away in a white van if you mentioned football league.

But with a bloody-minedness that could be to the ire of others occasionally you gave Accringtonians a legacy that will forever be in the annuls of history. The league status we enjoy and the state of the Crown Ground today compared to then ensure your memory will live on.
SamF and cmonstanley like this.
Old 28-06-2014, 20:47   #19
Senior Member+

RIP Eric
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 21:43   #20

There's only one Eric Whalley.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 00:27   #21
Senior Member+

Deepest sympathy and sincere condolences to all of Eric's family. Played against Eric in the youth league in the mid 50s, a very skillful player, kept in touch right through to his time at Stanley. Always reminisced on our trips home, he was Stanley through and through and as has been said, without his passion and desire Stanley would certainly not be where they are today. R.I.P. Eric, Stanley legend.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 17:58   #22

Condolences to Eric's family. His achievements at Stanley make him a major figure in our history, and - as with all leaders - he could be as rebarbative as he could inspirational. But there is no question that he grabbed the club by the scruff of its neck and hauled us up the steep incline of the non-League pyramid - the most difficult ascent in English football.

Here's a quote from Dave Mooney about playing for Eric in the late 80s when he came back to the Crown as manager. I think it sums up Eric's approach well:

“There was certainly a sense that you could see the top of the pyramid, and Eric was very ambitious and I’ve no doubt that that what was he was looking at. It seemed a long way away, as it was, but for someone with his ambition it was certainly a target to aim for. I think for Eric, Accrington Stanley was where he always wanted to be and he had the ambition to move on and up as far as it would take him.

“Eric had his own language – and it varied from the rude to the obscene and then worse than that! But it was accepted in the dressing room and all taken in the right way, I can’t remember anyone ever taking anything personally, because everyone used to love playing for him, he was a magnanimous bloke who drew people towards him and made them want to play for him. We always had to stop on the way back from a game and have a drink and he used to buy a round for everyone. We also had club nights after training where Eric would take us for meals. It was a brilliant time, he always had a positive outlook. He was a player’s manager – win, lose or draw, as long as you’d done your best then you deserved a drink and to relax and enjoy what you’d achieved on the field.”

Old school for sure, but it took us a long, long way. Thanks for everything, Eric.
keep the faith likes this.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 20:01   #23
Senior Member+

Very sad to read the news about Eric. My condolences go to his family and closest friends.
Eric was simply Mr Accy Stanley.
During our recovery climb back up the pyramid he must have done every 'job' there is to do around the ground and in the office; player, manager, director, chairman, odd job man, groundsman, cashier, snow shoveller and more!
Yes, as already said, he played a mammoth role in getting Stanley back into the Football League.
OK, he could get at odds with some folk but in my view he is a legend.
Heartfelt thanks to you Eric for all you did for our famous little club.
God bless.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 15:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Whalley View Post
Condolences to Eric's family. His achievements at Stanley make him a major figure in our history, and - as with all leaders - he could be as rebarbative as he could inspirational. But there is no question that he grabbed the club by the scruff of its neck and hauled us up the steep incline of the non-League pyramid - the most difficult ascent in English football.

Here's a quote from Dave Mooney about playing for Eric in the late 80s when he came back to the Crown as manager. I think it sums up Eric's approach well:

“There was certainly a sense that you could see the top of the pyramid, and Eric was very ambitious and I’ve no doubt that that what was he was looking at. It seemed a long way away, as it was, but for someone with his ambition it was certainly a target to aim for. I think for Eric, Accrington Stanley was where he always wanted to be and he had the ambition to move on and up as far as it would take him.

“Eric had his own language – and it varied from the rude to the obscene and then worse than that! But it was accepted in the dressing room and all taken in the right way, I can’t remember anyone ever taking anything personally, because everyone used to love playing for him, he was a magnanimous bloke who drew people towards him and made them want to play for him. We always had to stop on the way back from a game and have a drink and he used to buy a round for everyone. We also had club nights after training where Eric would take us for meals. It was a brilliant time, he always had a positive outlook. He was a player’s manager – win, lose or draw, as long as you’d done your best then you deserved a drink and to relax and enjoy what you’d achieved on the field.”

Old school for sure, but it took us a long, long way. Thanks for everything, Eric.
The second paragraph of Dave Mooney's comments sum up Eric perfectly.
You only saw the real Eric when you stood side by side with him before, during or after a game. The guy was truly a legend, after being involved in the game for many years at different clubs I never met anyone like him a true football man and friend who I will sadly miss.
Long time red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 18:42   #25

RIP Eric.
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 00:21   #26
Full Member+

Eric Whalley a true Accy Stanley and Great Harwood legend!
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..