Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2006, 17:41   #1

Sean Doherty

I dont normally comment on players and Managers performances but following last Saturdays game I am going to.
In my opinion Seans performance rarely rose above nil.

He never had a shot, never headed the ball, never beat a man, never made a tackle and rarely ran back to support the defence.
He made two or three accurate passes but always in the direction of his own goals rather than the opposition.
I think that Stanley are playing with ten men when he plays, but I cant think of a suitable replacement.

Am I being unfair to the lad.
jimmymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-11-2006, 17:55   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Sean Doherty

In a word NO

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 18:02   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymac View Post
I cant think of a suitable replacement.
Did you not rate Whalley's brief cameo appearance, then? Or had you left by the time he was introduced?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 18:57   #4
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Sell him now but I doubt we would get anything for him.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 19:02   #5
Senior Member+

Based on what I saw of Whalley I think the result might have been different if he had started.

He had plenty of pace and attitude and Paul Mullin might have had a proper supply.

I hope he and McGivern start at the Mariners.
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2006, 22:51   #6

I too don't like to slag players off but christ on a bike the lad doherty was a disgrace, he looked like he would rather have been getting some early christmas shopping done then playing football on a cold rainy day. Earn the shirt! i wouldn't have minding so much if he was having an off day but putting 110% in, showing a bit of effort and commitment will get you on a long way but he showed nowt.
longballking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 07:23   #7
Full Member+

I too am rarely happy about criticism of individuals but I must say that I agree with everything that's been said in this thread. On Saturday, Sean Doherty was a disgrace to the Stanley shirt. I heard someone say on the way out of the ground that he wasn't good enough to play for Bacup Borough. I think he might be..... just!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 07:59   #8

i've got to agree with the above posts too. when he came to the club doherty sounded quality on paper, playing for fulham, and being on loan at den haag, port vale and blackpool. but, he's had one decent game this season, and rarely does anything to suggest he's going to get better. count the number of times he got to the byline on saturday, and then compare that with toddy (who was easily our man of the match).

good points being made above about whalley aswell, he looked really sharp when he came on, like he was actually prepared to beat defenders and do something different. just a shame he's not left footed.....
the debonaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 08:30   #9
Senior Member+

Shaun whalley not being left footed but coming in from the left onto his prefered right foot could get us some goals. Unfortunately Sean Doherty hasn't looked like creating goals for anyone else let alone himself.

Case in point Gary currently plays on the right for Ipswich so that he can come inside onto his prefered foot and get an effort on goal.

I put the jury out on Sean Doherty a while ago, thought it might just be ring rust nerves etc after the injuries he's had, but unfortunately I'm becoming increasing aware that the lad isn't going to be good enough. The stuff that can be fixed on the training ground like his physical fitness and skill aren't really whats in question, its his mental attitude towards a game he's now afraid to get hurt playing. Thats not so easily fixable. And unfortunatly when you have that mental attitude you either end up on the periphery of games or getting yourself really hurt in tackles because you are mentally pulling out of challenges.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 08:41   #10

I say what i think when i talk about players, and to be fair, he has NEVER hit top notch here.

If we are letting players like Roberts go, surely he has to go in january.

On a lighter note, Whalley seems to be a prospect
Old 21-11-2006, 15:14   #11

Though i agree Doherty has been poor for the majority of the season give the lad a chance, he's not been here long and can no one remember Craneys first season at the club (not comparing them in anyway), he started brilliantly but then couldn't get in the starting eleven for most of the season now everybody loves him. I agree Doherty doesn't deserve to play but we'll see if everybody loves him in time to come.
Old 21-11-2006, 15:32   #12
Senior Member+

"If we wasn't in the football league, we wouldn't be able to attract players of the quality of Sean Doherty".

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..