Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2023, 14:04   #1
God Member

Smile Season 18

As we approach Season 18 - 'The Return of League 2' as it is otherwise known, what do we think it will have in store for us??

What should we expect?

Some of our better players have gone - others may follow.....

Our more experienced players are in their mid 30's, so will not have many more seasons in them.

Scoring goals has been a problem since Kayden left and keeping them out has been a struggle recently too - Harvey and Notts. leaving will not help that to be honest.

Of the players we know, I think Kode and Josh Woods are more than capable - Adekoya could surprise us - and we have seen nothing of Matt Lowe to form any opinion.

We have enough midfielders to sink a battleship and we know what their capabilities are.

Defenders on the other hand........... and we need a couple of keepers probably??

We have seen some in comings - an experienced defender in Mellor and some youngsters in Hills, Shipley and Andrews.

We have to get it right this season and by that I am not suggesting we go straight back up, but we need to win games fast and keep at the right end of the table all season.

In Coley we trust.

MikeA and keep the faith like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2023, 14:40   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Season 18

I think we will be ok, mind you i said that last season.i dont trust a man who does nowt only sit on wall.
Old 28-07-2023, 15:44   #3

Val, it's the old story story I'm afraid. We won't have much idea until we are 10 games into the season. I trust Coley to put out a competitive side every game, but we must stay clear of the injuries we suffered last year. There must be question marks over the injury record of Jay, Korede, Macca, Joe and our captain. I think Matt had enough games at the end of last season to help him come back OK and I think the lower quality of defenders in League 2 will suit him better. Hard-Work, Team Spirit and organisation can take you a long way in League 2 but above all else we need players who can stay fit for most of the season. The number of senior players in our squad and key players who have left us means a season of transition is required. A mid-table finish in League 2 will be a success in my book along with finding one or two rough diamonds along the way.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 11:11   #4
Full Member+

Wonder if todays starting 11 resembles what we
might see next week for season opener.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 11:36   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
Wonder if todays starting 11 resembles what we
might see next week for season opener.
Let's hope there are two upfront in that case.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 13:16   #6
God Member

Question Re: Season 18

Not seen any pre-season games, nor do I know everything about the loan players.....

After watching The Lionesses against China, playing a very good version of 3-5-2, this is my starting XI for Newport

Have to wait and see

LOWE KODE/WOODS

WHALLEY/ROS DAN MARTIN MCCONVILLE PRITCHARD/NOLAN

SEAMUS/LIAM

JAY RICH/SHIPLEY(L) MELLOR HILLS (L)

SAVIN

Old 04-08-2023, 19:52   #7
God Member

Given the adverse impact of cards last year, I hope the management have made the players aware of what’s in store for them this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66407915
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 20:32   #8
God Member

Will last for the first three games and 46 of Stanley games

MikeA and Exile on Spencer St like this.

Old 05-08-2023, 19:23   #9
God Member

Well, it was a good start

Old 05-08-2023, 19:28   #10
God Member

Smile Re: Season 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Not seen any pre-season games, nor do I know everything about the loan players.....

After watching The Lionesses against China, playing a very good version of 3-5-2, this is my starting XI for Newport

Have to wait and see

LOWE KODE/WOODS

WHALLEY/ROS DAN MARTIN MCCONVILLE PRITCHARD/NOLAN

SEAMUS/LIAM

JAY RICH/SHIPLEY(L) MELLOR HILLS (L)

SAVIN
Got the formation wrong, I think it was 4-2-3-1(which I like)

Woods, Martin and Pritchard not even on the bench, strong squad, just hope we do not waste anymore ££££££

Old 05-08-2023, 19:29   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Given the adverse impact of cards last year, I hope the management have made the players aware of what’s in store for them this season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66407915
Great to see plenty of added time and not as much time wasting

Old 05-08-2023, 20:03   #12

Quote:
Got the formation wrong, I think it was 4-2-3-1(which I like)

Woods, Martin and Pritchard not even on the bench, strong squad, just hope we do not waste anymore ££££££

Val, I heard Pritchard has only just started training on grass this week.......I don't think we'll see him for another 6 to 8 weeks.....and that's if things go well....
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 16:40   #13
God Member

Smile Re: Season 18

Quote:
As we approach Season 18 - 'The Return of League 2' as it is otherwise known, what do we think it will have in store for us??

What should we expect?

Some of our better players have gone - others may follow.....

Our more experienced players are in their mid 30's, so will not have many more seasons in them.

Scoring goals has been a problem since Kayden left and keeping them out has been a struggle recently too - Harvey and Notts. leaving will not help that to be honest.

Of the players we know, I think Kode and Josh Woods are more than capable - Adekoya could surprise us - and we have seen nothing of Matt Lowe to form any opinion.

We have enough midfielders to sink a battleship and we know what their capabilities are.

Defenders on the other hand........... and we need a couple of keepers probably??

We have seen some in comings - an experienced defender in Mellor and some youngsters in Hills, Shipley and Andrews.

We have to get it right this season and by that I am not suggesting we go straight back up, but we need to win games fast and keep at the right end of the table all season.

In Coley we trust.

About a month in and I have to say I am 75/25 happy

First game at home was great and it was brilliant to get that winning at home feeling back

Though we have lost loads of players, some of the new young lads have been excellent - the old lads too - and Coley and Co. have found some real players, who will be very successful in the coming years

Not happy with the losses and Barrow at home, but more than happy with Salford away

Need the feel good to stay and get safe as soon as, then we shall have to wait and see

Old 01-10-2023, 08:51   #14
God Member

Exclamation Re: Season 18

Well, ten games in and half of them lost - not what the Doctor ordered and not what I expected after the performance on day one against Newport......?!?!?!?!

Cannot hide a way from the fact that injuries are playing their part, but I know that it is not down to that solely.......

Some very young and very inexperienced players on show for us yesterday and I feel for them at times.

Coley and Co. have a job on their hands, but I am more than confident in their abilities

(next two games are crucial)

MikeA likes this.

Old 01-10-2023, 22:13   #15
God Member

Hope I’m wrong but I fear the next game maybe Ged Brennan’s revenge.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..