Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2007, 20:06   #1
Senior Member+

So, what's changed?

I can't help asking, what's changed between the beginning of the year and now? We couldn't buy a win at one time, now i feel that we have a chance of getting something from every game. I think the answer lies in the following areas:

1) Sorting out the defence - we have scored 65 goals this season and are amongst the highest scorers in the league, but we have conceded 74 goals and that's been the problem. We now have a fairly settled back 4 and in loanee Godwin Antwi (Liverpool) we have one of the most promising defenders in English football. Add to that a proper goalkeeper (David Martin - Liverpool) and we don't look like shipping tonnes of goals anymore.

2) Having a virtually fully fit squad - I know this will sound like an excuse, but we have been plagued with injuries this season. Even when we tried bringing in new players they picked up injuries which kept them out of the game for months at a time. Having a little strength in key areas means that we can alter tactics during games, especially when there are alternatives on the bench.

3) Belief and confidence - there is a real belief in the team now and a confidence that hasn't been there since Roberts and Craney left in October. Going into games when you expect to get something is obviously better than going into games where the team is beaten before the first ball is kicked.

I'm not trying to say that Stanley are the best team in this league, but there is now enough quality and belief in the team to survive this season in the league (something that didn't look possible 2 months ago). John Coleman has done an amazing job this season on a minimal budget and in the face of a million obstacles. I for one applaud him and wonder what else he can achive at Accrington.
Old 14-04-2007, 20:26   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: So, what's changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
John Coleman has done an amazing job this season on a minimal budget and in the face of a million obstacles. I for one applaud him and wonder what else he can achive at Accrington.
Not much, according to "The Hereford Jew" on their forum:-
"No sympathy for Torquay. They've cheated relegation on loads of occasions. It's only a matter of time for Accy. They're punching way above their weight."

Sad, bitter people down there - I almost feel sorry for them. <!--msgend-->
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 22:21   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm not trying to say that Stanley are the best team in this league, but there is now enough quality and belief in the team to survive this season in the league
Only last week or so we certain of relegation, what changed your mind?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 23:18   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Not much, according to "The Hereford Jew" on their forum:-
"No sympathy for Torquay. They've cheated relegation on loads of occasions. It's only a matter of time for Accy. They're punching way above their weight."

Sad, bitter people down there - I almost feel sorry for them. <!--msgend-->
They may well be sad and bitter but it's true we are punching above our weight - certainly above our gates - that's what's so great about it.

In fact it's worth a banana ....
Old 15-04-2007, 06:10   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf View Post
Things change in football. We've started getting big portions of luck for the first time this season. We've made a proper signing at last, instead of all the tinpot ones this season. We avoided the points deduction, although how I'm not completely sure. A month is a long time in football and at no point did I question Coleman's ability to manage the team.

Now get back to your silly, childish, pointless thread.

Last edited by Tin Monkey; 15-04-2007 at 06:18.
Tin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 12:39   #6
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf View Post
You're in danger of becoming a bore Bazf, people are entitled to their opinions on what they have seen on the pitch, full 90 minute games not bits of highlights or a radio commentators version of a game. The way we where playing lots of us to be honest thought it was all over but did not say it. I don't give a toss if somebody a month ago said we where going down I'm just happy we are now in a position to save ourselves. I've always thought you had something to offer accyweb but now you're heading the way of an ex-smoker with a smug look on your face.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 13:03   #7
Senior Member+

Hmmm... saggy old cloth cat.

The real issue now, of course, is what will happen next season. Everyone knows the second season is always the tester..... just look at Wigan.
Old 15-04-2007, 15:14   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Hmmm... saggy old cloth cat.

The real issue now, of course, is what will happen next season. Everyone knows the second season is always the tester..... just look at Wigan.
So by the same token, Reading should have a stinker next season. I personally think Wigan will be alright, remember when they came into the league all those years ago, they struggled at first, but Dave Whelan's millions and a shrewd choice for manager turned them round. Same for Accy I believe. We may struggle at the wrong end of the table for a couple of seasons, we may even make mid table or play-offs, who knows. This season has been a learning experience and a season when, due to transfers, injuries and some lousy refereeing decisions we have struggled - oh yeah and some stupid sending offs created by the players themselves, Andy Mangan to name one and there are others. I hope that Wigan (who I must say are my second team due to family ties) survive and go from strength to strength next season. They are a team that Accy could and should try to emulate - all we need is a Dave Whelan!

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 16:52   #9

TM – an interesting question and I agree with your analysis, with cause and effect added. The impact of Antwi and Martin at the back has had the effect of boosting confidence throughout the team. The fuller squad has given Coley the option of dropping those not contributing to the cause – I suspect that the debacle at Rochdale will be the last we’ll see of Rogers in a Stanley shirt, ditto Mangan’s actions at Hartlepool – and has, in theory, added some much-needed competition for shirts. And though we know that Coley has been ultra-loyal down the years (too much so at times, for some) it’s in situations such as these that loyalty comes into its own.
<O</O
Antwi has been excellent at the back, though I wouldn’t go as far as saying he’s one of the most promising defenders in English football. But he has what we’ve lacked all season at the back: physical presence, positional solidity and the ability to hold up strikers without diving in. Ominously, it seems clear that we need at least one player at the back with Antwi’s qualities if we are to move on next season (assuming we survive, as I now expect us to). Where he’s going to come from is anyone’s guess, but it’s my bet that we’ll be using our connections at Anfield for help with this one. Relying on loanees is a perilous business, but is part and parcel these days, even at the higher levels (cf. Foster at Watford). And it really is imperative that we move on. Allowing a culture of hand-to-mouth struggling at the bottom of Div 4 to take hold at the club will lead to one thing only – the Conference.
<O</O
I’m also wondering about the impact of Cavanagh’s return, which has also coincided with our revival. Sure, the lad is a little short of what is required in the 4th division, and an ideal world would see Cav as a squad member covering for a bigger and quicker right-back, but that canny free-kick against Torquay could turn out to be the moment that the team really started to believe that – with the new-look defence and with what was then a rare three points in the bag – the escape was on. Cav isn’t the most vocal of captains on the pitch, but I suspect that his influence is felt all the same, maybe because of his status as one of Coley’s most trusted lieutenants.

Rommy’s return to full fitness has also been important. He’s finally firing on all cylinders, and though he still misses Craney and has not been nearly as effective since IC left, he has begun again to add that bit of pace and thrust to the midfield that neither Proctor or Grant possess. And he now has easily the best hair-do in the team. How to make the most of Rommy’s attacking abilities is a crucial issue for Coley to sort out next season.
<O</O
Ultimately, TM, the answer to your question might be about receiving in return that bit of luck that deserted us for a while. Rochdale and Boston apart, we’ve played okay away from home this calendar year and often managed to shackle the home side, only for a dubious decision to undo all the good work. Yesterday we had all the luck. We were frankly awful in the first-half, but went in 2-1 up against ten men, and even then they hit the bar just before the break. A Grimsby equaliser then would have made it a different game. In the second-half, we laboured to finish them off and were helped by a referee that I would have put down as a blatant ‘homer’ if I had been a visiting fan. Still, we were owed those decisions.
<O</O
As you say, it’s been an extraordinarily difficult few months and the lads have done well to fight back into a position where we need just another point or two for safety. Can Coley build on this to achieve more at the Crown? He’s a tremendous character and a talented motivator, but ultimately it’s about players – and at our level it’s more specifically about extracting improvement via coaching, and perhaps the dynamic duo need more help here than they are receiving at the moment. A coach with a defensive pedigree would be at the top of my shopping list.
<O</O
Phil
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 19:06   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
I've always thought you had something to offer accyweb but now you're heading the way of an ex-smoker with a smug look on your face.
I am an ex smoker, but I wouldn't start a thread saying the reason I gave up was an improvment in the facts of how bad fags are for you.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 19:35   #11
Senior Member+

Thanks for your quality reply Phil. You raise some very valid points.

I actually mentioned our change of luck in my second post. It's funny isn't it? We seem to have been devoid of luck for large sections of the season and yet over the last few games we've been getting the run of the ball once again. Of course it's not just down to luck, but getting the rub of the green every now and again, can't do any harm.

I completely agree with your point on needing a defensive coach for next season. Many of us (especially Jeff) have said for years that we need to sort out our defense. The first signing we should make in the close season is someone to 'train' the defense, be they a member of the coaching staff alone or a player/coach. I know we have Grant on the scene, but I can't see him being particularly effective in sorting out our defensive problems.
Old 16-04-2007, 15:39   #12

Smile Re: So, what's changed?

In my opinion TM I think its number 1 and number 3 for me. The deployment of Antwi in defence (point 1) has made point 3 an actuality.

Coley has been in management for 10 years now, 8 with us. Every season he has managed a top half finish apart from this year. On the face of it, thats not completely all down to him. I think he is a top bloke and has done a stirling job this season considering the budget we havent got. I was always confident despite the problems he has finance wise, he would ensure that there was always going to be two crapper teams than us this season.

Looking at the league table, only Franchise FC and the Imps have scored more than we have this season which is quite amazing considering we had the guts ripped out of our team early on with the departure of Roberts and Craney. I agree that the problem definately, is how many goals we've shipped. If this is sorted next season either by playing staff or management tactics or both, we could well find ourselves in with a shout of where Franchise FC and the Imps are now if not higher. At least we are not going back into 'oblivion' as a Torquay fan ashamedly (in my opinion) described non-league football on the Championship on Sunday morning after their 1 all draw which for me is the main point of it all this season. Dont want to jinx things, but to quote Bazf, we are staying up. Boston Wrexham game will be the winner takes all game in my opinion. We will be well out of the equation by then.

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 17:47   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
You're in danger of becoming a bore Bazf, people are entitled to their opinions on what they have seen on the pitch, full 90 minute games not bits of highlights or a radio commentators version of a game. The way we where playing lots of us to be honest thought it was all over but did not say it. I don't give a toss if somebody a month ago said we where going down I'm just happy we are now in a position to save ourselves. I've always thought you had something to offer accyweb but now you're heading the way of an ex-smoker with a smug look on your face.
we will be all ex smokers next season when the fag ban omes in and i am happy we are in a position to have our own destiny in our own hands

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..