Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree137Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2017, 19:59   #76

Re: Sports Hub!

I guess Highams has always played a big part in my life.
Memories from boyhood 'day-long' footie games, which ended only with the setting sun, to taking part in school athletics sports days when every primary school in Accy competed for a trophy.
Later, in my teens, playing local combination soccer on waterlogged or frozen pitches in hail, rain & shine.
My nostalgic ramblings have a point, which is that as far back as I can remember, Highams was never anything other than 'playing fields'.
There's little doubt that the recent work has transformed the old Highams into a more practical venue for field sports but - is it being utilised to it's maximum potential?
I still cross Highams to get to the Wham for mid-week & Saturday games & for evening walks during summer.
You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've actually seen any form of competitive match taking place.
What I do witness are a lot of irresponsible dog-walkers allowing their pets to roam (& defacate) freely.
Youths churning up the fields on dirt-bikes and families using it as a picnic spot, invariably leaving a mountain of litter behind them.
Reading some of the posts on here, you might imagine that Highams had become some sort of nature reserve for dog-walkers, rather than the sports field which is its main purpose.
I can't understand the local residents complaints about it being used as a sports hub? It's been fulfilling this role for donkey's years.
It's a bit like the residents of the recently built Whinney Hill estate complaining about developments at the Wham, when the ground was there long before a brick was laid on their house.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2017, 08:43   #77
Senior Member+

East Lancs Football Alliance now backing plans for the Sports Hub!

ELFA Support Higham?s Sports Hub Plans | Accrington Stanley Community Trust
Old 19-07-2017, 11:33   #78
I am Banned

http://www.stanleytrust.co.uk/update...-hub-proposal/
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 12:03   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well seems to me if people went to the residents meeting they would be aware its a perfectly reasonable proposal.?
KiTChener, smobile and st06nc2 like this.
Old 19-07-2017, 20:28   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well seems to me if people went to the residents meeting they would be aware its a perfectly reasonable proposal.?
especially if the LCC land next door can become public open space... it has been underused for years!
cashman likes this.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 18:55   #81

Just read the Ladies Football Team will use the Hub for training and matches so does that mean they will give up the lease on Livingstone Road ? The same lease they won't give up in order for that land to be developed as the Hub ??
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 19:31   #82
Super Moderator

(sir) Martin;

New ladies team is being formed as existing Girls and Ladies are staying on Livingstone Road ( their choice)
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 22:36   #83

Ok that explains that then, what will the ladies on Livingstone be called ?
Old 26-07-2017, 23:32   #84
God Member

Livingstone Road mob are Accrington Girls and Ladies I think. The new team is Accrington Stanley
Old 26-07-2017, 23:37   #85
Senior Member+

St Joesphs girls have merged to make Accrington Stanley Ladies who'll be playing on Highams

Accy ladies who already play on Livingstone Road are a different club!
Old 27-07-2017, 08:29   #86

Oh right I always thought they had something to do with Stanley didnt realise they were totally independent all makes a bit more sense now.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:15   #87
God Member

I've received a flyer through my door this morning about a public meeting - headline is 'Save Highams playing fields for public use', it's being held at St. Joseph's church hall next Wednesday at 6.30.
It states that the meeting has been arranged with HBC & Commnity Trust representatives to discuss the proposals - all well & good except the Trust have NOT been invited, just wonder if this has been done so they can then say that the Trust's representatives couldn't be bothered to turn up??
Wasn't surprised that the name at the bottom of the flyer is Councillor Malcolm Pritchard
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Nowt that man does would surprise me.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:58   #89
God Member

Hopefully I'll attend, just for a bit of balance ;-)
Old 08-08-2017, 12:50   #90
God Member

Was thinking of going, just to hear what's being said - could be interesting
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..